• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think of this control arm bracket design?

so i got a strip of 3/16" plate that i will run along the bottom of both control arm brackets on each side, and along the bottom of the frame in between. this will add a little armour all along the bottom, and i will be able to weld to it with a side piece to basically make it a frame stiffener. all the brackets are welded up and ready to go, i just need to modify the trans crossmember then i can start welding stuff on. i am still planning on making the side plates an weld washers as well.

so i think the unibody welding will begin this weekend. i'm excited! welded up some washers on the brackets, used heat treated ones so they aren't egging out. was careful with the welding so as to not draw them down again. just gotta fab up some side plates and it's ready to all go on. thanks again for all the advice guys, much appreciated. i think i used most of it.

here's a side plate. 3/16" steel.
6818806427_5d56a856c0_z.jpg

Nice, as i was playing around in sketchup, i was playing ignorant as to the inside frame condition, ie if you have a 2 5/8ths pocket,+ 2 (3/16) + 2 (3/16), how does it set you up for in the side? Would you have to add an extra bend or two to do the same thing on the inside?

Now I want to make myself a set after seeing your mockup.

I know its been asked before... but are you gonna do any frame stiffeners? because ITS NOW OR NEVER! suckers are gonna be hard to cut off without destroying the frame, and grafting them on AROUND your brackets doesnt seem right to me.

Nice, as i was playing around in sketchup, i was playing ignorant as to the inside frame condition, ie if you have a 2 5/8ths pocket,+ 2 (3/16) + 2 (3/16), how does it set you up for in the side? Would you have to add an extra bend or two to do the same thing on the inside?

Now I want to make myself a set after seeing your mockup.

I know its been asked before... but are you gonna do any frame stiffeners? because ITS NOW OR NEVER! suckers are gonna be hard to cut off without destroying the frame, and grafting them on AROUND your brackets doesnt seem right to me.
i think you'd have to have some bends, however i wasnt planning on putting the plate on the inside, only the outside for now. i can get out and measure tomorrow or something though. i mainly did the side plate to make it easier to square things up, and to have it welded to the frame in a different plane so it couldnt peel off as easily.
As for frame stiffeners, i will be adding some eventually, however i will be grafting them around the brackets and rock rails, so to speak. it wont really be much of an issue, i imagine. cant be much worse than doing it around the leaf spring brackets, which i assumed most people do.

i had a thought.. i can have a side plate cut out that follows the shape of the frame rail, and also doubles as the side plate brackets i just made. then i can weld a plate on the bottom of the frame rail that also welds to the side plate, effectively making it angle iron. the brackets i just made could then go on the inside. what do you guys think? i can have it flame cut or cnc plasma'd pretty cheap. only issue is i think 3/16" would be heavy and overkill.

I would really suggest frame stiffeners first. It will be stronger and from what I have seen they aren't bad to put on. I have personally never owned anything worth welding them to, so no install experience, but you clearly already know how to weld fine.

argh ok, you convinced me, i ordered the t&t stiffener kit. i was going to make my own out of angle iron, but i took the lazy aproach, plus it will look better for mall crawling :D

question on mounting the frame stiffeners and control arm brackets...
in the side plates i made, i was going to basically use the holes to more or less rosette weld it to the frame rails and control arm brackets. now i'll be basically welding them to something that is welded to the frame. would it be worth it to do a few rosette welds in the frame stiffeners to the frame under or around the area where the control arm brackets will mount?

Yes, on the unibody you want more small holes as opposed to the giant speed holes on your bracket.
Alternate spots, and don't let the unibody get too hot.
Afterward, the holes on your bracket should be no problem with the added thickness of the stiffys

Yes, on the unibody you want more small holes as opposed to the giant speed holes on your bracket.
Alternate spots, and don't let the unibody get too hot.
Afterward, the holes on your bracket should be no problem with the added thickness of the stiffys
yea, i was more or less going to stitch it around the big holes, not just a solid blob of heat. that might change with the stiffeners though.

oh, the joys of welding under a vehicle, i cant wait to get burned all to hell again...

i'm self taught and somewhat new to welding so i figured i'd ask the pros, do you guys think this is ok for a rear coilover mounting tab? it's welded on both sides. 3/16" tabs i got from offroad warehouse. thought about adding side gussets, i just want to get it under the jeep and get the coilovers mounted so i can see how much room i have.
6836856187_41199b2c08_b.jpg

welds look good...
when I weld tabs onto things I like to bolt the tabs to a piece of DOM the same size of the joint I am working with to combat warping.

boxing them in won't hurt....not sure its really necessary though.

welds look good...
when I weld tabs onto things I like to bolt the tabs to a piece of DOM the same size of the joint I am working with to combat warping.

boxing them in won't hurt....not sure its really necessary though.
thanks!

i made a bushing on the lathe the exact length of the shock with the bushings and bolted it together before i welded it. of course i had to take them out before i welded the inside though, although the bushing still fits pretty good.

Never hurts to box it in.

I always make those kinds of bushings a little oversized so I don't have to beat things into place.

good point...

didn't know you were running bushings, I have been spending the last year on my jeep eliminating all the bushings... front shocks are all heims trackbar is heims, control arms are JJs. so all of my brackets/tabs have to be pretty close to exact.

i got rubber bushings in some joints, but jonny joints in others. kinda weird... but i didnt do it, it's what came on the parts heep i got.

good point...

didn't know you were running bushings, I have been spending the last year on my jeep eliminating all the bushings... front shocks are all heims trackbar is heims, control arms are JJs. so all of my brackets/tabs have to be pretty close to exact.
I think he's talking about the sizing bushings used as jigs while welding. I always make mine a little bit oversize too.

Back