• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think. 2001XJ

That's cheap. I'd get it if the mileage is low and the motor and drivetrain is in good shape.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Love the Icons.

I am a bit suspicious about the bumpers/flares/side trim. I expect "Limiteds" to have those all in body color. I would give a good look to the bumper mounting points and anything else that might indicate why someone would have replaced those.

The pic of the driver's seat looks good, but they cut it off right where the damage is most likely to begin showing.

No mileage listed.

The price seems good for an '01 Limited 4x4, but I would want to look it over real well, and ideally involve a second set of experienced eyes.

Aftermarket front bumper. Perhaps a tow behind on a motor home?

I need to find a super clean, '99 Limited, 4 door 2wd, auto, in a light color. Don't need it for a couple of years, but I need one. Non-molested.

David Bricker / SYR

More info.

180k miles. - not exciting, but not necessarily a deal breaker

Front bumper does make me think it may have been an RV Toad. Might explain those miles?

He says no leaks, tight engine and transmission. No interior damage. Everything is stock.

Passed CA smog this week, but no CA history.

He says out of state registration is up to date, no back fees, clean title. He's a dealer can process registration at his office.

He also says it's been painted.

So..... I am thinking Maybe it's been relocated from the rust belt.

I am going to check it out - I'll be poking around a lot underneath.

The seller says he selling "my" Cherokee XJ, but there are Baja Auto Sales ads in place of license plates. Seems suspicious to me. I think the Jeep's for sale by a dealer who is misrepresenting it as his personal vehicle. I'd proceed cautiously and would assume anything the seller might say about it is bull unless it can be verified by paperwork or physical or visual inspection.

Looked at it.

It's a good XJ. In case anyone is interested.

Could use tires soon. AC is not cold. Some oil/sludge onn bottom, but saw no active drips. Repaint looks clean from 10' some overspray on rubber and some prep flaws. Flares are black because they sprayed some kinda bed liner material on them, it looks pretty good up close. Aftermarket radio doesn't work. I found no rust or evidence of accidents.

Guy seems legit. He's a dealer and was firm on his price.

Got VERY close to taking it home.

Out of curiosity this morning (some might call it nosiness) I tried to find the website for Baja Auto Sales on Whittier Blvd. Couldn't find one, though they do seem to have a FB account that I can't access because I'm not on FB. Did find some reviews on Yelp, including some from very unhappy customers. Of course, every used car is different and this XJ could be a winner. It still strikes me as sleazy though that the seller misrepresents it on CL as a personally-owned vehicle. Not something a trustworthy party would do.

I picked up on those dealer plates right away. In his defense, he told me straight up he was a dealer and could handle all the DMV paperwork at his office.

Guy seemed legit. Said they. It from Auto Max auctions. I have no idea what his margins are. Only thing I do know is that I've done a lot of repairs and work to my XJ over the 10 years I've owned it, I crawled all around this one and it seemed pretty good.

AC was my biggest concern.

We were within a couple hundred bucks of a deal and he wouldn't move. I am guessing he'll sell it within a couple weeks - probably to someone who buys the "AC just needs a recharge" line.

I lost that dice roll... purchased a 2000 XJ where the NFG A/C was the only potential deal killer. Fortunately I have a friend that owns a shop so he only charged me for his cost of a reman compressor. Which sounds like a bucket of bolts BTW, I kind of wish he'd listened to me and pulled the one off my '99 instead.

Aftermarket front bumper. Perhaps a tow behind on a motor home?

I need to find a super clean, '99 Limited, 4 door 2wd, auto, in a light color. Don't need it for a couple of years, but I need one. Non-molested.

David Bricker / SYR

If you are registering it in CA, go for a 2000, no sniffer for the smog check, just the visual and ODBII.

If you are registering it in CA, go for a 2000, no sniffer for the smog check, just the visual and ODBII.

It would be registered a little west of CA, so want to avoid the extra cats, LP 30, etc. But thanks for the info, 2000 would be the way to go for CA (or have a legit address in Inyo County).

David Bricker / SYR

Back