• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Took the hitch off and tried to test fit my tank skid.....failed because the stupid factory plastic one wont allow me to push it up all the way. Another fail when I tried to remove said plastic skid as the factory gas tank strap bolts are froze up. Then drove it to work and heard what I knew was my exhaust cause I forgot to bolt up the rear hanger. I just cant win. :mad:

Did a HID conversion

Photo0154.jpg

not so much what i did to my xj but for my xj lol
i got my parts in finally and decided to try my hand at some welding. figured the old bracket for my old axle would be a good place to start.
here what i was using. my millermatic 200 made in 1979. damn thing works really good to
file00318486748bl7.jpg

found out what happens when you have the settings to high lol had it set on the high plug with the dial on 4 and wire at 50 ipm

file0088.jpg

so i put the plug on low the dial at 5 and ipn at 35 ipm ish
file0083b.jpg

file0089j.jpg

at this point i dont know if i should be the one welding it on or not. maybe i should play it safe and pay some one lol. just because i have a welder dosent mean i know how to use it lol

It looks like your trying to weld vertical ben, from top to bottom... Am I right? Practice welding on a horizontal flat piece of steel first. Rest your left hand on the table kind of cupped toward you then your right hand around the gun and then pivot it back and forth in a half moon shape using your right hand. Just use your left hand as a steady rest. Unless your left handed then switch. lol Your trying to weld up on a vice and your not going to have any way to rest your hand and keep it steady. The settings dont look too bad now though. Second picture up from here, third long bead from the right looks really good! especially for just starting last night. :thumbup: Keep practicing, you will only get better.

I have a ton of catching up to do to make my rig look anything like most of yours. I bought new spark plugs to do a tune-up tonight. I ran through some plans for my buddy to help me cut and weld this full steel brush guard I got from an 80's Blazer into rock sliders. That's the only thing I can figure to do with that thing. I've been trying to sell it for months and no offers even at $25 so might as well make use of it since he can weld.

lol dont feel bad. most of us do it in stages. start small with a cheap 3 inch lift and 31s and go from there

IMG_0148.jpg

Finally decided to change out my leaky pinion seal. My yoke was heavily grooved so I replaced it with a u-bolt style to match the yoke on my rear axle. I also had a cheap parts store u-joint installed at the axle end, so I figured now would be a good time to change that out to a 785 Spicer. $2 seal ended up costing $75. :rolleyes:

I will say though a pinion bearing race makes an awesome seal installer.

IMG_0148.jpg

Finally decided to change out my leaky pinion seal. My yoke was heavily grooved so I replaced it with a u-bolt style to match the yoke on my rear axle. I also had a cheap parts store u-joint installed at the axle end, so I figured now would be a good time to change that out to a 785 Spicer. $2 seal ended up costing $75. :rolleyes:

where did you buy this yoke i need one as well

I needed one quick, so I went to Woody's 4x4. Talk to Tom, he has new or used yokes available, and all the other stuff to go along with it.

I also went through Driveline Tech last year when I broke one. He doesn't stock them, but can order them and is usually a bit cheaper in the long run.

$2 seal ended up costing $75. :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

For most of my seals if the #s are readable and I know the diameter shaft and seat then I just stop by an industrial style shop. Like we have central chain and transmission, or power motion. Nothing special about the seals you pay 75 dollars for except the database their info is saved in so you can easily cross reference the right seal for your vehicle. (if that makes sense)

$2 seal ended up costing $75. :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

For most of my seals if the #s are readable and I know the diameter shaft and seat then I just stop by an industrial style shop. Like we have central chain and transmission, or power motion. Nothing special about the seals you pay 75 dollars for except the database their info is saved in so you can easily cross reference the right seal for your vehicle. (if that makes sense)
i think what torx was saying is it ended up being more than a seal.. ie he needed a new yoke

AH!!!!! lol I was thinking that was a heck of a lot for a seal. :confused1 Even though I have seen seals way more expensive than they should be, I still go to a supplier like that.

must be the pain pills your taking.....:wierd:

Nice, actually I didnt take a single pill. lol

Last edited:

Thats how I did mine, works awesome!

Nice, actually I didnt take a single pill. lol

Your tougher than me!! When I cracked my head open I was the happiest guy alive :spin1:

speaking of which, did you get your staples out yet?

Back