• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you all use to mount a tire carrier to rear bumber?

CamoXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just made a swing out tire carrier for the ol' XJ and used poly bushings. Only thing is is when I open it the weight causes it to sag. Esp when you add a tire to it. Trying to look into some kind of bearing. A buddy of mine is going to get some brass made the exact same size as the poly bushings but dont really know if that will work. It's sitting on 3/4" bolt. Someone on JU said they used a trailer spindle, I might look into that also. Also, how does it look overall? I might turn the tire over tomorrow and see if it will sit closer to the XJ. Kinda looks like its out too far. Dont really know, so what do you think? Jeff
Here's the back view
misc2119.jpg

Here's the side view
misc2120.jpg

Here's the mount I made
misc2113.jpg

Here's the mount for the other side. Really tight and no movement at all.
misc2116.jpg

Here's tire carrier with no tire
misc2123.jpg

Yea, ran me about $50 in materials. Gotta change the swing mount though so might be around $80 when all said and done. I turned the tire around and it does sit closer. Looks pretty good too.
Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I've got to move my license plate now though
Picture004.jpg

Jeff

I would consider adding a gusset to this joint-

misc2123.jpg

the weight of a 33x12.50 will put a significant moment on that joint, and i can't tell for sure, but it looks like the wall thickness of the metal is pretty thin.

Jeff,
Nice to see you still have the AZXJ and Undertakers decals. Do you miss the Valley of the Sun Stroke yet? :sunshine:

Back