• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What chemical to use to clean manifold gunk

Maz said:
Are you sure? How about in California? I haven't been able to find Super Clean here in SoCal. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but a lot of super duper chemicals are no-no in California.:confused:

Well, what do you know. I found Super Clean here in California at Big Lots of all places. $2.50 a spray bottle.

I would not recommend "Oven Cleaner" for alluminum, as at least one formula I know of contained caustic (Sodium Hydroxide, aerosol Easy-Off brand oven cleaner to be specific, but I don't know if they still sell the stuff) which will literally eat alluminum. On the other hand Fantastic and 409 make great oven cleaners and do not contain alluminum eating Caustic. Some automotive aerosol foam engine cleaners (as a presoak) should work well. The trick is to soak the part in the cleaner for a while before rinsing.

You might try cleaning it and the oven at the same time at about 150 F with the same stuff (oven cleaner)!

I think Gunk makes some foaming "engine brite" that might work....i dunno though. it works good for grease and oil on the outside of the engine, not sure about hardened carbon on the inside...

Sorry Mc--I haven't looked at this thread in a while, but I do have some pics of the head on Jeepstrokers.com the link is:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147
I cleaned it a little before I did the port and polish. You can see in one pic how clean(it could've been a little cleaner, but it was gonna get ground anyhow) the intake bowl is before the p&p.

Back