• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axel is this?

the 8.25s are a cake-walk to set up! you don't have to mess with side-bearing shims because they use threaded shims. you do have to have the special tool to adjust them, or make one... the only thing you'd really have to drop the carrier in/out for is to establish pinion depth.

xjohnnyc said:
What YEAR is your Jeep anyways?

The first post in this thread says 98. Your profile says 93. And in your other thread, you say 97. Or do you have three XJs?

mine is a 97/98 because the guy whom i bought it from swaped doors for some odd reason and there is no official door vin tag. he says 98, the registration says 97, but i am pretty sure its a 97... either way, its the same. and sorry aboutt he profile, i just updated it.

I have a 97 5sp w/o ABS... i'm pretty sure. the brakes locked up on me today saving my life when some wreckles driver pulled out in front of me causing me to smach my brakes and locking it up in the rain, swirving into the pull out dirt.

selarep said:
mine is a 97/98 because the guy whom i bought it from swaped doors for some odd reason and there is no official door vin tag. he says 98, the registration says 97, but i am pretty sure its a 97... either way, its the same. and sorry aboutt he profile, i just updated it.

I have a 97 5sp w/o ABS... i'm pretty sure. the brakes locked up on me today saving my life when some wreckles driver pulled out in front of me causing me to smach my brakes and locking it up in the rain, swirving into the pull out dirt.
Check the VIN - what's the tenth digit? V=1997, while W=1998.

If you want to double-check that you don't have ABS, simply verify that you don't have the D35. The C8.25 looks like
axle_825.jpg

while the D35 looks like
axle_d35.jpg

hmmm... so i have a 8.25? lookylooky, my front pumpkin and rear....
front
2007_0416me0006.JPG

rear
2007_0416me0004.JPG

I'm worried that i bought a piece o junk. it lags ad it sounds really off, some new sound I've never heard a motor make. but for $2k for a 97 2 door 5 speed... i guess its ok. 140k on the clock but its from Texas and it's rustin out as you can see...

Nope - that's a C8.25 rear. The front is a D30...that's all that was offered in domestic XJs.

The leaking doesn't seem to be a big issue, just get the cover off, check gaskets and vents and that should be it; if it sounds off, it might be because it doesn't have enough fluid (if it hasn't any damage yet from).

tdr1213 said:
I thought the 8.25 was quite a bit easier than the dana. But, if you can do advanced mechanics then you can do a re-gear. Be patient and read all you can, I found guy named rawbrown (on this site) to be especially helpful. Search for his comments.

He's an jerk, don't trust him...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back