• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Like some others in here, I finally had to face facts about owning a diesel, the extra maintenance cost, and how little I actually needed it. I gave in and got a 98 Suburban 4x4 with a 454. It is neither fast nor fuel efficient :) 8-10 mpg as shown, 11-13 mpg unloaded.

8C1315CF-305B-47DB-96C9-802DB69D5D64-2773-000002CCC971BF06_zpsb244ea42.jpg

I thought I had posted my Jeep pulling a Jeep on here but I guess not. My 09 Hemi XK pulling 4800lbs of Heep chained to a 19' trailer. Tows awesome even here in the mountains! 11-13mpg in Tow/Haul mode, plenty of reserve power.

0703131736.jpg

I can't believe all this time I haven't posted my towing setup, just a few smart ass comments.

I usually drive my rig to/from all events, when I don't this is my tow rig, it's pretty well set up.

75107_1589040059363_3106388_n.jpg

I thought I had posted my Jeep pulling a Jeep on here but I guess not. My 09 Hemi XK pulling 4800lbs of Heep chained to a 19' trailer. Tows awesome even here in the mountains! 11-13mpg in Tow/Haul mode, plenty of reserve power.

0703131736.jpg

Have you added airbags or anything? The wife was talking about how she liked commanders the other day.

Have you added airbags or anything? The wife was talking about how she liked commanders the other day.

Nope! I'm using a Valley equalizing/stabilizing hitch along with a Prodigy brake controller. It tows level and smooth! The Hemi has reserve power even here in the mountains. This is a great "all around" family hauler/weekend tow rig for anything under 7400lbs. I love the Commander as much as I do my XJ's and if it were a SFA, its all I would own for wheelin' as well. I do not suggest the 4.7 for towing this much weight though, just the Hemi.

But the 8.1 really is something. I have no doubt it would at least keep up with my powerstroke, and I really suspect it would outrun that, too...

Robert

Finally got a chance to run them head-to-head. I sold the Furd to a buddy, and we convoyed on a wheeling trip last weekend. Me in my Burb, toting the XJ. He was pulling his mild TJ with my old 2000 F250.

My gas 8.1 did in fact walk away from the 7.3 P-Stroke. Maybe if we were both pulling 10-12k the diesel would do better. But for what we do, 5000lbs or so, the big block flat outperformed.

Robert

Finally got a chance to run them head-to-head. I sold the Furd to a buddy, and we convoyed on a wheeling trip last weekend. Me in my Burb, toting the XJ. He was pulling his mild TJ with my old 2000 F250.

My gas 8.1 did in fact walk away from the 7.3 P-Stroke. Maybe if we were both pulling 10-12k the diesel would do better. But for what we do, 5000lbs or so, the big block flat outperformed.

Robert

I've pulled 16k trailers with the 8.1 and the only problem was stopping! The trailer brakes sucked and were not up to the task. Otherwise a solid motor. I am a duramax owner and I love towing with it because I get 16mpg pulling the jeep and it has a turbine brake which really makes a big difference. Otherwise the 8.1 is a great choice and really outshines a diesel in a lot of areas, including the cost of ownership.

Voice to text would not comprehend "Compounds" for some reason. Twins it got. :what:
I have a complete BD Super B twin S300 setup, 57mm Over 71mm from my brothers wrecked 3rd gen.. Its tempting.. But i know once you scratch that itch.. It mannifests into the MOST expensive Hobby Imaginable. For now.. I'm comfortable being a Stock High mileage :pig:

Re: Re: What are you towing with?

I have a complete BD Super B twin S300 setup, 57mm Over 71mm from my brothers wrecked 3rd gen.. Its tempting.. But i know once you scratch that itch.. It mannifests into the MOST expensive Hobby Imaginable. For now.. I'm comfortable being a Stock High mileage :pig:

Boy that's an understatement..

how much...PM me

Towing with an XJ of course :D Camera angle makes the 10 foot long CJ2A look huge....

8119403120_7e6881150b_z.jpg

That's my plan.
abase5u7.jpg

It's not chained down in this picture, I was just test fitting everything. But later that day I towed it up and down my street no problem up to about 50. I don't want to take it out on the hiway until I get a proper load leveling hitch with sway control.

I also towed this JK to the dealership the other day. It was in town, in traffic so we never got over 30mph. I had to load it backwards because of the weight. I messed up when I built my trailer. It's a 12' deck with a 2' dove tail. Well when I set my axles I did my calculations for a 14' deck.

ynuzyva2.jpg

Looking to sell our trailer or trade it for something a bit lighter. Approx. 23' weighing 2700#, ramps (that store vertically), electric brakes, wood deck, dual axles, welded tie down hooks, blah, blah. Usually a Tundra hauls it, but might have to tow it with my Durango sometimes so I need something that weighs less.

Back