• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Got ya all beat with my tow rig!

300px-BNSF_Dash_9-44CW_5518.jpg

mailgooglecom-1.jpg

Pft... hybrids. Can you pull doubles with that thing? :D

Love the loco rig!

Isn't your buddies' suburban a bit over loaded. Unless he has some serious mods- thats a k1500 burb...or is it a 3/4 ton older burb? Thats a ton of weight.

I pull my XJ and TJ with a 18 foot steel decked trailer with a 05 Chevy Tahoe LT autoride with a 5.3 and 4l60e. It pulls the TJ great- but its a SLUG pulling the XJ up the mountains up here in PA.

Isn't your buddies' suburban a bit over loaded. Unless he has some serious mods- thats a k1500 burb...or is it a 3/4 ton older burb? Thats a ton of weight.

I was thinking the same thing. The dual trailer alone is extremely heavy by itself. Even the late model 3/4T 'Burbs only have a 9600lb towing capacity.

I know my Tahoe is around 9K and its a K1500 and it has some special order RPOs like the HD trans, HD trans cooler, LSD. I would never tow that kind of weight without a 'diz-ease-all'

I love towing with my K1500.. but its taxed just with the big XJ and the 18" steel trailer. I think my trailer is close to 2K by itself without the XJ or TJ on it.. and mind you I always pack my rigs for the impending zombie apocalypse. :)

Here is my kids tow rig
towrig3.jpg

my old tow rig
towrig1.jpg

My buddies tow rig
towrig2.jpg
When we get out van payed off I'm looking to getting a tow rig, and was thinking of getting an Expe with the 5.4 to tow with. It would suit out needs better than a truck. What was your opinion towing with that thing?

There are several folks that have towed two place trailers with 3/4 ton single rear wheel trucks, including excursions, avalanches and the above looks 3/4 ton sub to me.

I did it with a 3/4 ton megacab. Does it work, sure. Does it push limits, sure. Know them, learn them, and becareful. I did it several times safely, finally decided that I wanted a dually.

2010-03-07154948.jpg

replaced with

IMG_20110429_174238.jpg

mac 'or dually a suburban' gyvr

I liked towing with the Expedition much better than the Grand I currently tow with.
The weight of the Ford and the tow capacity of about 9600# made me feel safer.
The WJ is much lighter and only pulls 6500#.
I am easily pushing that limit with my XJ.
I wish I could afford an Excursion or F350 but the funds don't work for that right now.
Bigger is better in this case.
Stukboy

I have a 2009 Ram 1500, crew cab, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92 gears. It tows my Green Junk on an 18' wood deck trailer and does it in style. No regrets.

Started out with a '99 Ram 1500 with the 360. Loved that truck but for the Rocky Mountain passes...... it left alot to be desired.....

Got an '02 Ram 3500 crew 4x4 dually. Loved that truck and it more than fit the bill. Super comfy seats, plenty of power..... wife hated how noisy the engine was during road trips...... only put 30K miles on that before she made me trade it in on a......

P1012058.jpg

'04 Ram 3500 crew 4x4 dually. That truck has been my least favorite of them so far. Good quiet engine, but the cab design was awful. Seats uncomfortable. A/C system was a terrible design (breaking blend doors and such). Put just over 50K miles on it and was just starting to see decent fuel mileage and power but when I took it in for service a savvy sales guy got me one helluva good deal on an:

100_0812.jpg

'11 Ram 3500 crew 4x4 dually. This truck is my favorite of the bunch. Super quiet, improved ride over the other duallies, awesome seats, improved A/C design. My only complaints are the stupid tail gate design (molded in duck tail/spoiler thing) and the retarded cupholder design (can't fit anything large without it leaning against the dash).

Kinda over kill for a 16 ft trailer n one jeep ain't it Troy?

no better kind of kill than overkill!

do I really need an MDT?
Nope, but it's pretty sweet have another 4500 pounds of weight capacity left on the chassis/axles/tires and the ability to tow another 7500.

xttruck005.jpg

It has yet to tow the Jeep, but I've towed a few utility trailers. Haven't towed anything with the camper in though. Hoping to put the camper back in and tow the Jeep out to Johnson Valley for Goatfest though...we'll see.

It has yet to tow the Jeep, but I've towed a few utility trailers. Haven't towed anything with the camper in though. Hoping to put the camper back in and tow the Jeep out to Johnson Valley for Goatfest though...we'll see.

that's awesome.
I'm jealous of your rust free cool old trucks.

Back