• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

So, I've replaced the TREs on the tie rod, the tie rod itself, the TREs on the drag link, track bar bushings, ball joints, and motor mounts -- and the WJ still sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads :mad: On the plus side, all these parts were pretty worn, so at least it wasn't wasted funds, but it also didn't solve the problem... leaning towards a worn johnny joint or something on the control arms, though since they've only been in use for just over a year and only have three trips offroad, that would kindof piss me off too...

One of the things I learned from my dad.
Loud music cures all unwanted noises. Lol :gee:

indeed... that may be how I got so many fubar parts on the front end all at once to begin with! :doh:

Lol.
I don't hear noises, and I can't feel any vibes past the bass.

I think it was led that said " if its not making noise, something is wrong." Lol

If it's not making noise something finally fell off and I'll have to replace it.

My biggest issue is the bolt that holds the 2 upper ball joints in is seized. This car originally came from the east coast, and while its amazingly free of rust everytime I've had to do any chassis stuff its been a total pain in the arse.

Those were a pain but not too bad. Drove em out with a punch, then shocked the balljoints out so I could swing the knuckle over. I was expecting it to be way worse.

My air hammer wasn't able to convince the bolt to get out, I've been soaking it in PB blaster since.

Try turning it while hammering on it maybe?

PBBlaster is great if you want to melt styrofoam cups, I usually prefer aerokroil or 50/50 acetone-atf mix when I have to actually get a bolt out.

I don't own a VW, I own an Audi. :up turned snob nose:

I haven't done anything with it besides continually spray PBlaster on it. I'm waiting for the weekend.

If my air hammer doesn't get the job done after all this soaking I'll apply heat. I'm not worried about the balljoints as I have new upper control arms sitting on the shelf. I finally got a good look at the bushings and yeah, they're trashed. I'm going to need new TRE's too. Apparently Audi doesn't know how to make a TRE that'll last, these barely have 218,000 miles on them. German Junk. :D

Outer TRE, well I haven't looked at the inners so probably those too.

I have a SnapOn impact and Air Hammer, no problems there. I'll mess around with it this weekend, I can't pick up the new ABS sensor until Monday anyway. I think I'll also finally install my upgrades brake lines up front too, the stock rubber line is looking a but sketchy.

Got the new ball joints in (they fell apart when removed),upper control arms and axle bushings, burned on some sway bar relocates, and got my anti rock installed. All in all I think it's time for a brew.

image-3.jpg

Thinking of going for a quick run tomorrow, if anybody is interested?

^^^ Thats awesome man, I really want and anit-rock

I finally got the damn pinch bolt out that holds the upper ball joints into the knuckle. I wound up breaking the head off the other end, then the side with the nut on it (I'd left the nut on to keep my air hammer's punch lined up) broke off. I cut the rest of the bolt off and ground it flush with the knuckle, drilled a hole in it to keep the punch centered on my air hammer, applied some heat and then drove it out. I was only able to get it out enough to get the forward control arm off, after that I had to switch to a punch and hammer. I got it but my right forearm is more swollen then Popeye's.

Everything is pulled apart and ready for tomorrow when my new outer TRE and halfshaft show up at Checker's. The new uppers are bolted to the strut mount and I got the brakeline off the caliper too and the new braided one in place. I've had these upper control arms and braided brake lines sitting on the shelf for a good 4 years now. I'll get it all back together tomorrow and then Monday I'm going down to pick up the new ABS sensor w/ harness. Then I can get all the parts together so I can do the driver side next. That'll be a few weeks though.

To make things more awesome the XJ decided to start leaking coolant from the radiator end tank last night. :rolleyes: excellent timing there.

got my anti rock installed.
image-3.jpg

Thinking of going for a quick run tomorrow, if anybody is interested?

Let me know what you think of it on a weekend warrior type rig. Saw what it does to truggy and dont plan on leaving it on there, considering tossing on my sisters rig

^^^ Thats awesome man, I really want and anit-rock.

Are they really THAT bad ass on a street rig/wheeler?

Yeah, I think so. One less thing to do when getting on and off the trail. Also I think the more you can keep your front coils under control the more the rear leafpacks will be forced to do their job.

Duh Mike, Race cars have them therfore everyone needs one

LMFAO so true. But i go slow. So im good

Yeah, I think so. One less thing to do when getting on and off the trail. Also I think the more you can keep your front coils under control the more the rear leafpacks will be forced to do their job.

Eh, truggy is all trail.
and hers is 95% street with minimal offroad. Regular discos might work for hers. I dunno. Just know it aint staying on truggy. Limited flex waaaaaaaay to much up front
Watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9DUAS2maU

Back