• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Not finished......but done for now. Got the shocks, e-brake, and tire carrier installed yesterday. Gave it a quick 1st bath and took it for a test drive. Imma tell you what, quality shocks really do my the difference. It rides like it's on air and it handles like a car. I was really surprised. The corner pull from the front locker is still there, but that'll change once I upgrade the axle once we're moved and settled.

Anyway...Here she is. Still need to get my front bumper from Dirtbound if they ever decide to send it to me.

New extensions for the cut and fold. Tucks up there nicely. I also drilled and tapped 2 bolts per side that run from the inside of the cut and fold directly into the tire carrier, giving it some extra support. It started rattling on the test drive, so I threw on some rubber washers in between and now it's silent.

And I cut and angled the spindle support box of doom.

Thanks! I should have done it like this from the get-go, but ya know.....

I agree with Trent, that bumper came out really nice. It sucks you have it all setup for wheeling and going to be moving away from prime wheeling country.

Nice work Jim. :thumbup:

They're 35s

Jim looks great. :thumbup:

Grin had me jealous about the love his truck was getting. So I ditched the side steps and got her all cleaned up. Even the inside. Oh yeah.
image_zpsb95028ee.jpg

look at your fancy white mud-flaps! :D

My task list is getting shorter. :cool:

Got my Yukon chro-mo axle shaft to replace the one I broke at the Culver's car crush, as well as some Alloy USA u-joints for both front axles to replace my worn out Super joints. Stop Tech brake rotors, serpentine belt, oil & filter, and wiper blades are also on the way. Just need to get all of that stuff done along with installing my RE Boomerang shackles, wire up the winch, and buy new tires and I should be ready for COFest. :clap:

I just blew my wad on a new front shaft. The CV joint at the t-case was getting really loose/sloppy and starting to make popping noises under a hard load so I ordered a Coast 1310 front shaft kit. It replaces both yokes (t-case and pinion) and goes to a double cardon at the t-case and a single u-joint at the pinion. Pricey, but way stronger and more reliable than the stock crap. Its also smaller in diameter so I won't have to worry about the shaft hitting things when I go up to 3.5" of lift.

Replaced the master cylinder/slave cylinder. The tranny is a 95(I think), and the part is for a 94-96. 97 and up won't fit without some work on the firewall. To fit on the 90, I had to drill out the hole in the push rod to 29/64, and slice off one side of the plastic extrusion so it would work on the post on the original clutch pedal. Trying to fit the one piece, pre-bled unit took some work getting it in, but it is doable.

I also fixed the vent tube on the front 30, tapped it out to 1/8 NPT, and put a real fitting in it.

Knocked some of my added electrical connections loose trying to fit my semi-big hands under the dash installing the master cylinder. Maybe tomorrow. :)

My list of things I would like to do is long...the list of things I need to do...is slightly shorter :D

I've been busting ass and getting things done but still have:

- Fix winch rope and attach to drum
- Finish, primer, paint, and install interior panels
- Get tranny gauge and fan wired
- Get some sort of switch wired for taurus fan since my dccontrol unit hasn't come in yet
- Get Engine, Belly, and steering UHMW skids fully cut, finished and mounted
- Tighten all jam nuts
- Reseal Fuel cell
- Reinstall seats and harnesses
- Lots of "touch up" paint (i.e. places that never got painted on accident)
- Bump of front ORI pressures
- Secure, mount, etc. various small things, hoses, etc.

Hopefully I should have the interior at least 50% done by the end of tomorrow. That's the biggest thing left to do in reality.

Git-R-Done, Fred!

I'm (finally) done with the flush and fill. I have come to the conclusion that the muddy spots under my hood, were put there by the fan. I guess that puddle on Kingston Peak was deeper than I thought.

Not finished......but done for now. Got the shocks, e-brake, and tire carrier installed yesterday. Gave it a quick 1st bath and took it for a test drive. Imma tell you what, quality shocks really do my the difference. It rides like it's on air and it handles like a car. I was really surprised. The corner pull from the front locker is still there, but that'll change once I upgrade the axle once we're moved and settled.

Anyway...Here she is. Still need to get my front bumper from Dirtbound if they ever decide to send it to me.

New extensions for the cut and fold. Tucks up there nicely. I also drilled and tapped 2 bolts per side that run from the inside of the cut and fold directly into the tire carrier, giving it some extra support. It started rattling on the test drive, so I threw on some rubber washers in between and now it's silent.

And I cut and angled the spindle support box of doom.

Your latch is going to cause you problems..... you catch it on anything and your tire carrier is going to pop loose.

Son..of..a..

So today I'm almost entirely certain my alternator is pretty much gone. I'm slow charging the battery overnight tonight to test it tomorrow to be sure, but combined with other symptoms I'm seeing I'm almost certain it's the alternator.

Problem is - the supercharger idler pulley sits smack in front of the upper alternator bolt. So to remove the alternator I have to pull my entire supercharger out. Which puts it from a 45 minute swap to a 4+ hour swap. :gonnablow

Might be a good time to check and replace the spark plugs, I suppose.

Back