• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what are the popular wheel swaps?

akamcbird said:
were do ravines come from???

I first saw them on the 60th ann TJ but I know that they were on 06 TJ Sports. Thats where mine came from at least.
DSC04140.jpg

akamcbird said:
were do ravines come from???

Ravines replaced the canyons on TJs in 03+ on the sports and saharas. I run a set of ZJ Orvis wheels(same as limited but green inside spokes instead of gold) with a set of spacers. Not a popular swap but I like them. Before these I had a set of cragar 343's.
2065986_122_full.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question but...would any of the TJ or YJ wheels be dirrect bolt ons for the XJ or would spacers be needed? Thanks

TJ, YJ and ZJ wheels will fit an XJ. same bolt pattern (5 on 4.5) and the same backspacing (5.25"). The 8" TJ wheels have backspacing of either 5" or 5.5" but will fit just fine.

Krazors001 said:
Ravines replaced the canyons on TJs in 03+ on the sports and saharas. I run a set of ZJ Orvis wheels(same as limited but green inside spokes instead of gold) with a set of spacers. Not a popular swap but I like them. Before these I had a set of cragar 343's.
2065986_122_full.jpg

Thanks Ray H, is this a direct bolt on, I noticed Krazors 001 mentioned the use of spacers with the ZJ wheels?

I have the ravine wheels on and use a 1" spacer all around to clear the 34x10.50x15 LTB's I am now running.

47b7da20b3127cce98548640165c00000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

(I hadn't trimmed my front fenders yet in this pic)

seems stupid, but I am running Ecco's, and I'm pretty happy. For me they were a nice step up from the stock steelies.

My buddy went from Eccos to Moabs, and felt the same way I did about my change... Guess it matters what you start with!

With 31x10.5's they work fine.... worse case if I go 33x10.5 I would need some spacers.

like was stated, spacers arent needed until you go to the larger tire sizes. With 31X10.50s you will have to adjust your steering stops a little to keep them from rubbing the control arms when fully turned. The steering stops are not a big deal to adjust at all. Using a spacer is either for preference or to fit larger tires.

Ray H said:
like was stated, spacers arent needed until you go to the larger tire sizes. With 31X10.50s you will have to adjust your steering stops a little to keep them from rubbing the control arms when fully turned. The steering stops are not a big deal to adjust at all. Using a spacer is either for preference or to fit larger tires.

I just like the extra width with the spacers but they aren't necessary for running zj wheels. Makes me feel a little better about not running larger tires. With the spacers on people have thought these were 31 which made me happy coming form a guy on 33s:eek:

I picked up a set of rubicon rims (16") and think they look great! Theres no chance I'd get anything bigger than 16" and may even switch back to 15" for my next set of tires.

If you want something good and inexpensive check these wheels out.

http://www.aeroracewheels.com/50series.asp

These are dirt track racing wheels - they have a "knife edge" that seats and holds the bead so less chance of blowing a bead on the trail. Also, the stem is hidden behind the spokes making it impossible to scrape off on rocks.

If you bend a lip on a rock there's a cheap tool to bend it right back. Plus the wheels are strong and light weight.

I bought a set of 5 in black and love 'em. You'll also need new lugs nuts. Racing wheels use a 45*, 1 inch lug, whereas typical street use 60* 3/4. The racing lugs are way better. They spin on fast and seat tight.

Lastly, you can get nearly any backspacing you want. I went with a 15x8 with 4" backspace.

Have you decided what size tire you want?

I'm contemplating 16's only because the narrow 32" AT tire I want to try is only available in the 235/85/16 size as far as I know.

XJ_ranger said:
im planning on swap over to 16" when i get a real front axle and the brakes wont fit in a 15"...

for now i run these -
058.jpg

i like em.

You destroyed those wheels I gave you already? I wheeled on those for 10 years and there were still prestine..

I run big diameter wheels but dont think you would call me a poser? I am about to run 13" brakes front and rear ( run 12" already ) and the handling is really important to me with all the Outback miles I do loaded up with offroad trailer in tow.

XR8RIMS2.jpg

XR8RIMS3.jpg

These are 17x8 with 265x70x17 tyres which measure a true 32".

92xjprofile1.jpg

92xjprofile.jpg

92xjback.jpg

92xjfront.jpg

Im runnin the crager soft 8's. they really look sharp when they are all clean and shinny. They are like 38 bucks a rim in JC Whitney and the provide a good overall width and stance to the jeep!

Last edited:
Gojeep said:
I run big diameter wheels but dont think you would call me a poser? I am about to run 13" brakes front and rear ( run 12" already ) and the handling is really important to me with all the Outback miles I do loaded up with offroad trailer in tow.

XR8RIMS2.jpg

These are 17x8 with 265x70x17 tyres which measure a true 32".

How did you swap to the 5 on 5 pattern to tun the those wheels??

myXJspace said:
Have you decided what size tire you want?

I'm contemplating 16's only because the narrow 32" AT tire I want to try is only available in the 235/85/16 size as far as I know.

i drove a 2000 xj that had a rustys 4.5 and 32's on 16's
and that was a good looking setup. i would have bought it in a heart beat if it didnt have the problems it did..
im thinking about running rubicon moabs on it.. keeps me from swapping to 5x5 pattern for now..
i like the looks of this so for now i think im going this way that and the tires are less expensive..
2190199_18_full.jpg

alwaysready said:
How did you swap to the 5 on 5 pattern to tun the those wheels??
I didn't have to as these are off a Ford Falcon which are 5 on 4.5"

Back