• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet Trunk/Hatch Under Carpet

Since you've pulled the carpet out you may want to try spreading some baby powder back there. The water should make tracks in the dust and you can more accurately figure out the source.
It's just a big mess to clean up afterwards.

87manche said:
Since you've pulled the carpet out you may want to try spreading some baby powder back there. The water should make tracks in the dust and you can more accurately figure out the source.
It's just a big mess to clean up afterwards.
That's a cool idea. I'll try that if what I've done hasn't solved the problem yet. 99% chance of rain here today, so I'll see.

47b5ce03b3127cce94e933db76a600000006103IbM3LRsxk

This is the area in my '92 xj that was leaking, running down the interior seams. The sealer had cracked and the rain gutter was funneling the water into the crack. I ground out the old sealer and painted and resealed with Seal-All. It has been 2 years and no problems yet. :)

Thayer said:
Can anybody post some pics of the hatch/pillar/seam area that you're describing. I'm lost in everybody's description? I think I know what you're talking about, the area right above the passenger side hatch lift strut mount that's on the body (not the hatch)???, but pics with an arrow would help a lot.
Go to the car wash if you don't have a hose.

Thayer said:
Sorry, forgot to rotate some of those pics. They should look like this...

Where in NY are you? I'm near Albany. This rain is pissing me off too....ugh... I have no hose in my apt parking lot, so I have to wait for nature's hose...hehe...at least the rain isn't totally wasted. I might just go to those quarter car wash places when my sye is done to look for more leaks.

I'm just north of Albany in CP. My apt has no hose as well. I've been working on the jeep for like 2 months. Apartment life blows.

langer1 said:
But it been raining for 10 day straight
Yep, it pretty much has been. Today is the day that I'm going to pull back the panel to see if my cubbyhole is a pool. Damn, I'm almost scared.

jth877 said:
I'm just north of Albany in CP. My apt has no hose as well. I've been working on the jeep for like 2 months. Apartment life blows.
I know what you're saying. My lift install would have been a million times more fun in a garage. I was lucky to do it over the summer when there was little rain, but I paid for it with the heat and humidity. I got a hardcore farmer's tan and even ended up puking from heat exhaustion one day.

F'en crap! Looked into the cubbyhole today and still found water. About 1/4" deep from 1 day of straight raining here. I threw some more RTV sealant on some random seams, don't know why, but I was just pissed. Suppose to rain tomorrow all day. I think I'm just going to drill holes in that rubber plug at the bottom of the cubbyhole to let it drain instead of fixing the real leak.

Thayer said:
I think I'm just going to drill holes in that rubber plug at the bottom of the cubbyhole to let it drain instead of fixing the real leak.
No don't do that, I want to know the real way to stop this thing leaking since I am in the same boat (literally)!!

Is your parking spot on any incline? If so, have you tried parking the opposite way that you are now to see if water runoff direction makes a difference?

lapisxj said:
No don't do that, I want to know the real way to stop this thing leaking since I am in the same boat (literally)!!

Is your parking spot on any incline? If so, have you tried parking the opposite way that you are now to see if water runoff direction makes a difference?
I park on a pretty flat spot. I crawled into the trunk at midnight last night when it was raining buckets. This was the first time I actually saw active dripping from the leak. Water was beading and dripping from here, right on the seam...

carpet30.jpg

But I don't know if water is coming from a higher point and beading there or if that is the real source. The worse thing is that I can't look any higher since the hatch pillar is all enclosed. I can only see as high as I can see by sticking my head in the cubbyhole.

Thayer said:
I park on a pretty flat spot. I crawled into the trunk at midnight last night when it was raining buckets. This was the first time I actually saw active dripping from the leak. Water was beading and dripping from here, right on the seam...

carpet30.jpg

But I don't know if water is coming from a higher point and beading there or if that is the real source. The worse thing is that I can't look any higher since the hatch pillar is all enclosed. I can only see as high as I can see by sticking my head in the cubbyhole.
Could need new luggage rack seals or just tighten the screws. The rack screws have rubber tips that expand.

I've been assuming that the black tubing is going into the tail light housing?

One of those pieces of black tubing is the washer fluid tube that takes fluid from the front reservoir to the rear window and wiper. The split loom goes to the tail light.

lapisxj said:
One of those pieces of black tubing is the washer fluid tube that takes fluid from the front reservoir to the rear window and wiper. The split loom goes to the tail light.

Yep, it's what you'll see if you stick you head in the cubbyhole and look towards the back of the car.

It's raining cats and dogs here. It filled up about 1/2" overnight. I'm guessing the leak is now from the luggage rack. I sealed the hatch weatherstripping pretty well, so I don't think it can still come from there. I climbed on my tire and looked at the luggage rack rails. I see some torx bolts. I'll try taking them when it stops raining. Are they the only things that hold the racks to the roof and are there a ton of holes up there?

You got a roof rack? I have an old '87 that... well... water was tracking down from the same wire loom, but my problems came from elseware... have yourself a look:

Jeep_Restoration_015.jpg

from the inside:
Jeep_Restoration_013.jpg

The repair prep...
Jeep_Restoration_020.jpg

... and the other thing that I found while I was looking, check you main roof rack washers/gromets:

Jeep_Restoration_016.jpg

Jeep_Restoration_017.jpg

Thanks for the pics TheNerd.

I climbed up and looked at the rear edges of the luggage rack...

carpet31.jpg

The passenger side endcap was a bit crooked compared to the driver side. I took off all the torx screws holding the passenger side rail down, it's a T-25 screw on mine. Everything looked ok and the design is actually pretty nice. The torx screw threads are on raised bosses, so the rubber seals on the rails don't really make the seal. Sorry I forgot to take pics of that. In any case, I tried spraying water down the screw hole, but couldn't really make it look like it did when it rains. I just cleaned everything, put a little rtv sealant on all the torx screws, and reassembled. I also threw a bit of weatherstripping glue to keep the endcap straight. I also tightened down the driver side rail screws since I had the torx bit out.

I don't have the chrome center strips like TheNerd, but I do have some rubber ones. These look like they're just glued on since I don't see any screw heads.

carpet32.jpg

Holy crapin balls...it still leaks. I drove to a self service car wash to get some bird junk off my roof. After about 2 minutes of foaming brush and 1 minute of rinsing the roof and hatch area, I thought I'd look to see if any water got in the cubbyhole then. WTF, there is like 1/2" of water already. Man, this is really pissing me off. I'm about to take this to the dealer to let them fix it. Ahhhhhhh vent vent vent

Last edited:
Man, i have taken all the carpet out of my 87, all the seats, sanded the floor and repainted the floor. Figured out that the puddle in the pass. side floor was from the heater core seals leaking so I caulked the crap out of them and when it dried no more leak. Next day i had a puddle again, so I looked around and the water was running down the floor from the back, so I took all the carpet out and found dang rust everwhere and some friggin galvanized plates that were just rust chunks, wtf are they for? Theyre gone now anyway. Come to find out, there's a wire loom that has been hanging down over the rear weatherstrip around the lift gate because the little plastic clip that holds it broke, and it just funnels all the rain into the back of the truck around the weatherstrip! So I'm going to order a new one from dodgeparts.com and be done with it. Oh yeah, I have a hole in my floor from those galvaninzed crap chunks. Anybody know why theyre there?

Back