• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding spring perches

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have searched and read and got conflicting opinions and such. I am going to be swapping axles and need to weld on new perches. I have heard the hoor stories about warping the axle. I can weld but I have never welded anything that couldn't be waped just a touch and not cause a problem. How should I weld these to avoid warpage? I plan to put these on the axle bolt them up with the springs set the weight of the M back on it and then tack them. Is this right? Should I try to set pinion angle using the perches or just weld then flat on the axle and use shims to adjust pinion? If I just use shims should I just set the axle on level surface so the punkin is level and weld them up? Any and all help is appreciated.

measuer twice weld once. when your looking to not warp the material it is always good to weld short sections at a time bout 1" at a time depending on material. another way is pre-post heating. ( i doubt there will me any warpage welding on spring perches (again depending on material.) sounds like you got it right personally i would set it up point the pinion where ya want it and tack the perches in place you should do the shock mounts if you are going to rotate the pinion up, they will tolerate a little rotation but may as well remount those in the correct position. personally i like the idea of rotating the axle so shims are not needed no sense in having stuff you don't need.

Well I am not worried about shock mounts as this is an MJ so I will just reuse the plates with the mounts on them. If I rotate the axle to adjust pinion how should it be set up? Should the pinion and driveshaft be in a straight line with each other or not? This will be on the ground with all the weight on it as it would sit. Sorry about the questions but this is my first time fabbing stuff that can cause major problems if I fawk it up.

If you have double cardan drive shaft/SYE then point the pinion so the driveshaft is in the same plane with each other. If stock slip yoke then point the pinion so the it is parallel with the tcase output shaft. A little bit of down pinion is ok to compensate for axle wrap like 1 degree or so.

CMNCHE said:
Well I am not worried about shock mounts as this is an MJ so I will just reuse the plates with the mounts on them.

Hmmm...think about that for a second. That is not going to work so well with the plates on the TOP of the leaf springs. That is going to be a short shock. I would re-use those plates for sure though, as they don't bend as easily as the XJ plates.

I would just weld on custom shock mounts that are level with the axle tube. Get a piece of 1x4 tube and use it to make them.

HTH's
Andy

Andy in Pa. said:
Hmmm...think about that for a second. That is not going to work so well with the plates on the TOP of the leaf springs. That is going to be a short shock. I would re-use those plates for sure though, as they don't bend as easily as the XJ plates.

I would just weld on custom shock mounts that are level with the axle tube. Get a piece of 1x4 tube and use it to make them.

HTH's
Andy

Why would the plates be on top of the leaf springs? The MJ is staying spring under so the plate would still be where they always were.

Imo, you are wasting your time keeping it spring under with the axle swap. I do not even understand why you would even consider doing this. The front is not that hard to lift to match, it would just take a little more money. It would also leave you many more option of tires and wheel sizes and most of all ground clearance. Plus it would just look better. I am just saying if you are doing the work, do it once, right the first time.

I would agree, I did a spring over using all original parts, mounted the plate on top and used the stock shock... It worked great, and even still twisted up nicely... It will make you about 5.25 lift and you can put a 4.5 on the front and it looks good... Here is a couple of shots of the one I did... Too bad I don't still have it....
http://www.rapidfire.net/~leake/88jeep/
p8212639m.jpg

p8212641m.jpg

I just had some questions about weding perches. I have 5.5" of lift spring under. I want to keep it spring under and that is all there is to be said. My questions about perches have been answered and I don't wish to hear anymore opinions on why a spring under is wasting my time. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

with the stock drhve dne as Bpated you w`nt `e pinid and tH` t,cas outputs to be parallel. just some food for thought. with non cv style shaft (l`e rtoc* the ida hs t have tf u-joir angle `rol thÄ pinion into the ds the same as the t-case into the ds canceling eabh o$her out. but...xou can@bo this by `lsozotating thd ds`uch higher getting the pinion out of the rock/mud. BrettM has this don&on his@J `nd H`s commhted abpt it on other €`sts. just to beat a dead horse. spring under reduces axle wrap and although ‰`u loose ground`le`ran` it isdind fo" a lost t drive street rig and prob better road maners.

CMNCHE said:
I just had some questions about weding perches. I have 5.5" of lift spring under. I want to keep it spring under and that is all there is to be said. My questions about perches have been answered and I don't wish to hear anymore opinions on why a spring under is wasting my time. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

Well I am sure you have done your research on the subject and that you will be happy with your spring under. We were just throwing a much better option out there that may not have been considered. Good luck. All you need to please is you. Post pics when you have the install finished.

afd516 said:
Well I am sure you have done your research on the subject and that you will be happy with your spring under. We were just throwing a much better option out there that may not have been considered. Good luck. All you need to please is you. Post pics when you have the install finished.

Pics will be posted. I didn't mean to sound mean, but it just seems like everyone keeps saying just do a spring over. I had considered it, but I would like to try it spring under and see how it goes. I may do a spring over in the future depending on how this setup works. Thanks for the ideas and opinions.

CMNCHE said:
Why would the plates be on top of the leaf springs? The MJ is staying spring under so the plate would still be where they always were.

Ahha, OK, well then scratch what I just said. I was thinking you were going spring over. My mistake. Usually that 5.5" lift number is exactly what you get when doing the spring-over thing.

Back