• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding a 8.25

If I weld up the spiders but don't weld to the carrier and decide to do a locker later, can I still get the spiders out?

If I weld up the spiders but don't weld to the carrier and decide to do a locker later, can I still get the spiders out?

If you weld up the spiders I would consider the carrier junk for anything else. You have to rotate the spiders against one another to get them to pop out, so no, not easily. With the cheapness of junkyard 8.25's I'd just plan on geting another JY axle to install your locker into, and part the other one for the housing and axle shafts.

Besides, welding just the spider gears will probbly lead to the breakage, as you'll be really stressing a few points. Mst people that weld up an axle weld everything to everything else, in effect spreading the load out like a spool would.

If you weld up the spiders I would consider the carrier junk for anything else. You have to rotate the spiders against one another to get them to pop out, so no, not easily. With the cheapness of junkyard 8.25's I'd just plan on geting another JY axle to install your locker into, and part the other one for the housing and axle shafts.

Besides, welding just the spider gears will probbly lead to the breakage, as you'll be really stressing a few points. Mst people that weld up an axle weld everything to everything else, in effect spreading the load out like a spool would.

I have also heard though that welding the carrier weakens it and should not be done.... I am confused.

I want to be locked/locked for winterfest as I keep breaking my front and think this would help spare it some, but not sure it is going to happen. Not sure if I want to do this or not or just save up for an aussie.

Time to do some reading and decide for yourself.
You will need a pretty stout welder to get good penetration on the gears/teeth.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/welded.html

SOme weld just the gears, some weld the whole thing, some even add plates to bridge the gaps between the spiders.
THe most important thing is to find someone that an do it. I would not attempt it myself becaue I'm not that skilled.

The biggest thing on a C clip axle is to block off the holes in the spider gears and the recesses for the c clips so that you don't spatter into them while welding, nor weld the cross shaft in. It's nice to be able to swap shafts still.

Oh, and cover the R&P while welding it if you don't remove it from the housing.

There is no way in hell I'd swap axles for trail runs. I can't even believe that was seriously suggested :spin1: If I was going to do anything silly like that, I'd buy a lubelocker and an extra shaft, toss the shaft in a lathe and turn the splines off it but leave everything else intact. For the street, swap that axleshaft in, you now have no drive to one rear tire and full drive to the other.

I was going to have Brianho do this for me if I did it. I am pretty sure he knows how to weld, but dont think he has welded an 8.25.

For the street, swap that axleshaft in, you now have no drive to one rear tire and full drive to the other.
I'd think that would lead to some sketchy handling around corners.

I was going to have Brianho do this for me if I did it. I am pretty sure he knows how to weld, but dont think he has welded an 8.25.

Call him up and get his opinion. The man with the welder trumps all of the web speculation.

Probably true, but likely less sketchy than welded.

I'm not sure about that. Welded would be predictable, one wheel drive in the rear wold do strange things depending if the driving wheel was on the inside or outside of the turn.

Says someone that DD'd a full case detroit, when it would randomly engage around a corner and go from the outside wheel to the inside, things got "interesting", especially if it was wet.

I figure 1 wheel drive would be more predictable in that because there would be no transfer, and lateral traction would be maintained on both wheels.

However, I've obviously never done such a strange axle modification... I can get shafts for cheap around here though, and I'm probably welding my 27 spline 8.25 (yeah, I know) soon as I get around to it, so I am tempted to try this out and see how it does.

I'm running a 27 spline 8.25 welded (professionally tig welded) and 35" kevlar MTR's, I've had the rear end bounce on the tires without anything breaking, and it's also my DD.

in my opinion if your looking for a cheap locker just weld it, even if you manage to blow it up you can get another carrier and spider gears from the JY for next to nothing and reweld it

I figure 1 wheel drive would be more predictable in that because there would be no transfer, and lateral traction would be maintained on both wheels.

However, I've obviously never done such a strange axle modification... I can get shafts for cheap around here though, and I'm probably welding my 27 spline 8.25 (yeah, I know) soon as I get around to it, so I am tempted to try this out and see how it does.

It wasn't so much the switching of power from one wheel to the other, it was that when it wasn't fully locked and the inside wheel was driving it it had a very bad tendency to push to one side. However if you really got on it and fully locked the locker it was much more predictable fully locked, rather than just driving the inside tire.

after that experience I put a spool in my 8.8, and honestly I'd rather drive with a spool than a detroit.

attachment.php

Don't do this.

A friend of mine welded a 27 spline 8.25 on his XJ before. It worked fine, he drove it a ton on the street and totally abused it offroad. He snapped more than one driveshaft and never had a problem from the 8.25.

Now the scary one, a friend of mine welded up his D35(well I did while he was out of town). Its his DD and has been like this for several years now. I have seen him hung up on on something and have witnessed the visable difference in tire movement due to axle twist. I cringe everytime he gets hung up and has to work at an obstacle lol. Thank god its not a C-clip 35. I can't wait to pull the shafts out and see how twisted up they are. We are in progress on his 8.8 currently.

Back