• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder question

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
Well its time for me to step up to a more powerfull welder. I want to make sure that I get one that can handle axles brackets and exo cage work as those are my future projects. I'm looking for a 230V welder under $1000.00 (if possible). I wanted to get the opinions of other more expierenced welders.

I'm currently looking at the Hobart Handler 187
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200328799_200328799

Is this enough welder to handle my goals? Anyone know a good local place to get one or possibly rent one so I can try it out before I buy. I've checked a few rental places but they didn't have any thing between what I have and engine driven monstrosities.

Well its time for me to step up to a more powerfull welder. I want to make sure that I get one that can handle axles brackets and exo cage work as those are my future projects. I'm looking for a 230V welder under $1000.00 (if possible). I wanted to get the opinions of other more expierenced welders.

I'm currently looking at the Hobart Handler 187
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200328799_200328799

Is this enough welder to handle my goals? Anyone know a good local place to get one or possibly rent one so I can try it out before I buy. I've checked a few rental places but they didn't have any thing between what I have and engine driven monstrosities.
Believe it or not, Harbor freight has a 230 volt TIG welder that is an awesome machine. It has been evaluated by two professional welders I know who both said it is well wroth the $350 price tag. If you have a subscription to Popular Mechanics or Popular Science magazine there is a coupon for 20% off any single item at Harbor Freight in this months issues. I have been drooling over this welder for months now but I just can't free up the $270 or so I will need to buy the machine. It does NOT come with a bottle and I'm not sure about gauges. I used one of these machines to do some stick welding and it was the easiest stick welding I have ever done. I also did some TIG with one and found it to be smooth and predictable with good temp control. If you're looking for a TIG machine, I think this is the best machine out there for the price or even for more money. It is the machine with the digital meter on the front of it.

Believe it or not, Harbor freight has a 230 volt TIG welder that is an awesome machine. It has been evaluated by two professional welders I know who both said it is well wroth the $350 price tag. If you have a subscription to Popular Mechanics or Popular Science magazine there is a coupon for 20% off any single item at Harbor Freight in this months issues. I have been drooling over this welder for months now but I just can't free up the $270 or so I will need to buy the machine. It does NOT come with a bottle and I'm not sure about gauges. I used one of these machines to do some stick welding and it was the easiest stick welding I have ever done. I also did some TIG with one and found it to be smooth and predictable with good temp control. If you're looking for a TIG machine, I think this is the best machine out there for the price or even for more money. It is the machine with the digital meter on the front of it.

Sounds good John, but I think I will stick with Mig for now, I've been teaching my self MIG and TIG might have to much of a learning curve for me right now.

right on....buy it, i will let you try your first X-O cage on my heep hehehe. sliders first tho please. thanks bro

I recently purchased a new Miller 211 Auto Set. It a 110V or 220V input and will run fluxcore wire or gas (comes with regulator). It's the perfect machine for me, I can run it on 220V at home and in the motorhome I can run it off the generator at 110V for trail repairs. The machine is capable of 30-140 amps at 110 Volts and 30-210 Amps at 220Volts. It came completewith wire and mig gun....plug and play.

It was $860.00 at Westair.

I recently purchased a new Miller 211 Auto Set. It a 110V or 220V input and will run fluxcore wire or gas (comes with regulator). It's the perfect machine for me, I can run it on 220V at home and in the motorhome I can run it off the generator at 110V for trail repairs. The machine is capable of 30-140 amps at 110 Volts and 30-210 Amps at 220Volts. It came completewith wire and mig gun....plug and play.

It was $860.00 at Westair.

Looks like an awesome welder, and i wish i had the budget for that or i would get that in a heartbeat!

I'll sell you my snap-on mm140SL mig/tig... 110v rated for 1/4in with a 100% duty cycle at 140 amps. And I have the TIG option for it as well. This thing worked so well that I sold my 220v miller.

Justin

I'll sell you my snap-on mm140SL mig/tig... 110v rated for 1/4in with a 100% duty cycle at 140 amps. And I have the TIG option for it as well. This thing worked so well that I sold my 220v miller.

Justin

I've used one and your right the snap-on mm140SL is a great machine. The bad is it $2900.00 new and it's hard to find a good used one at a reasonable price and only 110v at 140amps.

I've used one and your right the snap-on mm140SL is a great machine. The bad is it $2900.00 new and it's hard to find a good used one at a reasonable price and only 110v at 140amps.

It may be only 110v, but it will out weld most smaller 220v welders. The trick is to find someone selling a used one for a third of the price, and including the $500 TIG option. :spin1:

Whats the duty cycle on that auto set?
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

If you read the rated output it's 150 amps at a 30% duty cycle

or
http://www.800abcweld.com/store/index.php?crn=209&model_view=1&action=show

Its rated for 140 amps at 100% duty cycle Built in spot and stitch weld timer. Normally I would buy a miller, hobart, or a lincoln, but I got a sweet deal on this.

It may be only 110v, but it will out weld most smaller 220v welders. The trick is to find someone selling a used one for a third of the price, and including the $500 TIG option. :spin1:

Whats the duty cycle on that auto set?
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

If you read the rated output it's 150 amps at a 30% duty cycle

or
http://www.800abcweld.com/store/index.php?crn=209&model_view=1&action=show

Its rated for 140 amps at 100% duty cycle Built in spot and stitch weld timer. Normally I would buy a miller, hobart, or a lincoln, but I got a sweet deal on this.

I'm relatively happy with my lower $ 110V lincoln, except that I kick myself every time I think about your SnapOn. I should have bought it back when you offered it. I hear nothing but good about it and I know your a stand up guy.... Hollywood give Justin a call.

Back