• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded or Bolted

jeepguy97 said:
Well taht makes me feel good about the factory brackets..oh well who knows how hard he tried to yank. I just dont see brackets for the rear anywhre and ive seen hooks there so i dont know what to mount to there.

The factory only uses one hook in the rear, on the driver's side. There is a two-piece bracket that mounts to the unibody, and the hook bolts to that. The mounting bracket might still be available through Mopar. I am not aware of an aftermarket source for that, becayse most people run a hitch. I removed the stock hook and bracket from my '00 Sport to install a hitch. I'd give you the bracket, except I gave it to one of the guys in NAC more than a year ago.

jeepguy97 said:
Well taht makes me feel good about the factory brackets..oh well who knows how hard he tried to yank. I just dont see brackets for the rear anywhre and ive seen hooks there so i dont know what to mount to there.

Out of the '97 parts manual... There is a rear bracket.... right click on the image, copy and paste the url into your browser and add .orig.jpg this will show you a larger image.

f9a15209.jpg

P1010016_002.sized.jpg

made that for the old lady's xj. scrap metal was free. bolts were found around the shop. and the hook set me back 7 bucks.

I would guess he unbolts it, puts the backing plate on the top side of the unibody, drills holes, and bolts the lower peice to it sandwhiching the unibody inbetween.

exactly abugarcia.
i dont see that bracket failing before the spot welded on the uni-frame rip off. the 2 bolts that aren't on the tow hook now have nuts welded in place. found some laying around the shop.

a hitch that you bolt to your bumper is more or less like a step bumper on a pick-up. on my dakota the manual said something like 200 pounds tounge with 1,000 pound trailer weight.
trailers dont shock load the whole jeep either. well as long as all is going smoothly.

they are for the back. no pics of them installed yet. when the girl gets back ill take some shots.

do you have acess to a drill press and a welder? if you drilled a local metal shop could tack weld for nothing. im kind of relucant to make something like this when i haven't even tested it myself. i'll give you all the information and help i can, but making a set of these for someone else scares me quite frankly

Back