• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weld on disc brake bracket

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Since no one makes a weld disc brake bracket for 5x4.5" bolt can I use one for a 5.5"? The 5.5" uses an 11.75" rotor. Problem is I can't find a 11.75" rotor with a 5x4.5" pattern. I guess my real question would be can I use a rotor hat that has enough offset with a bolt on 11.75" rotor? Anyone ever done this?

Why try and hack together a weld on kit then?

There are many OEM parts that work, and Crown sells a bolt on aftermarket kit.

Not 11.75" rotor but you don't need it that big in the rear. Explorer 8.8 brakes with black magic pads will lockup 40's.

Rear discs off of a Ford explorer (96+) are almost bolt on. You need to drill the holes on the backing plate out and either change the axle retainer plate or add a small spacer to it (to compensate for the thicker caliper mount), other than that it bolts in.

there are dozens of writeups here. Its hands down the best way to discs and really, foolish to do any other path.

Get axle retainers from a TJ Rubicon 44. They have the required spacer built in, and make assembly a lot easier. You have to drill the pattern on those out as well, for some reason they don't match the XJ or the Explorer. ;)

Work once though to save trouble every time its apart.

Get axle retainers from a TJ Rubicon 44. They have the required spacer built in, and make assembly a lot easier. You have to drill the pattern on those out as well, for some reason they don't match the XJ or the Explorer. ;)

Work once though to save trouble every time its apart.

This! I used all the parts suggested by Cal. In addition, all the other parts I used for the conversion on my XJ was from a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee except the calipers which is from a Ford Explorer because they use a better piston in the calipers.

Back