• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld d35 diff on 32's ??

Actually I wasn't calling him a failure.. i posted that picture to describe the fact that you will explode that axle like dropping a bomb off a ledge if you lock it, weld it or even drive it lol

i said that i have another D35 in my garage that i can easily swap in if i breaks the current one.

It MAY stresses the shafts more, but the major advantage that have more control and can go slower and no need of high speed spinning. as well the D35 are known for bent tubes, which actually often the blame for major failures. with trussing and some "turd polishin" they may be OK for the Jeep. otherwise i actually am with you'all that i dont want to put much money in this axle. just repair with used parts (which i got for free so far, which make running this axle cheap)

If you know how to wheel you don't need high speed nor do you need a locker or spinning your tires.

you should try wheeling with a group of experienced guys next time you go out. I find the best way to learn is to go with the right people

did_i_just_step_in_dog_poop_card-p137182139291735882q53o_400.jpg

:laugh:

wheeling with open differentials dont get you very far in the tougher trails.

I went through Lavant here without a problem except for one spot where it was just due to my being inexperienced. However once I caught on the second time through was no problem.

there are many ways to get through trails without lockers. More difficult, yes. doable, yes.

again, i dont wheel "high-speed", i dont do that. i mean by "high-speed" that when you actually need to speed up to about 20 mph (which acutally is fast for just on a trail ride) to go over a hill, tree, stump, etc because if you try to get the front left tire to go over the stump, but the front right and left rear wheels starts to spinning. then you back off and gas in and bump over, this way can easily breaks the axles. but with locked, you can just tapping the throttle over it because the tractions are going to the right wheels

I went over a tree at about 3 KM / hour.. i think if you hit a tree at 20MPH you will either launch or flip if the thing is on an angle.

But by all means, setup a camera with a tripod and do it.. I'd want to youtube that shiznat lol

again, i dont wheel "high-speed", i dont do that. i mean by "high-speed" that when you actually need to speed up to about 20 mph (which acutally is fast for just on a trail ride) to go over a hill, tree, stump, etc because if you try to get the front left tire to go over the stump, but the front right and left rear wheels starts to spinning. then you back off and gas in and bump over, this way can easily breaks the axles. but with locked, you can just tapping the throttle over it because the tractions are going to the right wheels

That's just poor driving. Bumping over something does not mean going 20mph.

You'll find a lot more success in careful tire placement, steady engine speed, and a bit of e-brake feathering.

I wheeled open/open for a long time with locked folks. It can be done.

Weld it like this and you'll have so much traction you'll have to drag your rear wheels over everything:
cb003184.jpg

Best part is, you won't have to worry about ring gear deflection anymore either.

personally i has been wheeling with open/open for 4 years and i definately know what to do and whats not for open/open. major improvement i got with jeep that i used to wheel with blazer with a IFS which lacks of flex and currently i have a jeep that have LA and all 4 on the grounds help LOT. lockers mostly help with when one or 2 wheels off the ground or in a lack of tractions areas.

for a "stump" i mentioned, definately dont need to go 20 mph, more of 5 mph or so. but for a slippery hill where needs some speed or wont go anywhere, this part where need to go a bit faster. it depend lot on what obstructions are.

Agreed lockers make things easier but also I do agree that they help on more wild trails. It has allowed me to go places that I have never been able to with any other jeep i've ever owned. But a rig with open diffs is still extremely capable with the right driver behind the wheel.

last thing, i am not against your theory of locking axles will breaks soon as the tires backed off the trailer onto the parklot. i just saying my option, then suddenly this thread slided into 3 page threads LOL.

Agreed lockers make things easier but also I do agree that they help on more wild trails. It has allowed me to go places that I have never been able to with any other jeep i've ever owned. But a rig with open diffs is still extremely capable with the right driver behind the wheel.

This.

I has wheeled with some jeep thats locked and much better tires than what I have, I made a few part of the trails with first try while they had to winch the whole hill. so your statement are valid, the driver are important on how far on a rig can go. hell, some trails can be done with a old Lumina car no problem :shhh:

personally i has been wheeling with open/open for 4 years and i definately know what to do and whats not for open/open. major improvement i got with jeep that i used to wheel with blazer with a IFS which lacks of flex and currently i have a jeep that have LA and all 4 on the grounds help LOT. lockers mostly help with when one or 2 wheels off the ground or in a lack of tractions areas.

for a "stump" i mentioned, definately dont need to go 20 mph, more of 5 mph or so. but for a slippery hill where needs some speed or wont go anywhere, this part where need to go a bit faster. it depend lot on what obstructions are.

last thing, i am not against your theory of locking axles will breaks soon as the tires backed off the trailer onto the parklot. i just saying my option, then suddenly this thread slided into 3 page threads LOL.

are you drunk? so, a locker also provides better tractions?

My guess is that his native language isn't English... therefore I give a free pass. If it is English though, my god man :(

Back