• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird up and down idle, long start (can't find identical symptoms thru search)

cletus141

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

Please help. I'm new here, but not to cars/trucks. I have a 1991 Cherokee with the 4.0 that's treated me pretty well for years. I think it's got about 190k on it. Lately though, I've been trying to chase down a demon. I've googled every term I can think of, in every combination I can think of and read pages and pages of threads. I commonly see "long start" and "rough idle". But I can't seem to find a thread with symptoms like mine or think of the right terms to search for to produce results with symptoms like mine.

Symptoms:
Initially, the first symptoms were driving home and it was lacking power and didn't seem to be shifting correctly. Didn't want to go over like 25-30 mph. Would nearly die at stops.

Then when I looked at it:
1. long start (I've found the trick of priming the pump a couple times, which has worked). It would turn over for like 30-45 seconds before firing. but then when it did....

2. It would idle up to like 1200-1500 rpms and settle back in to like 800. Then a while (30-60 seconds) later, it would drop to like 400rpm and nearly die, but it would save itself and go back to 800. Then it would jump up to like 1500 again and repeat that cycle over and over. Sometimes it would go from 400 right to 1500 though. Throttle response was death if it wasn't at 800 (400 or 1500 it would just crash), but at 800 it seemed normal.

I have replaced the TPS with a BWD unit (I'm told that's Bosch now) after multimeter testing yielded weak results. I cleaned the IAC. However, I realized that I didn't unplug the battery when I pulled and reinstalled them. I cleaned the throttle body. I did mess around with the spintle when cleaning the IAC, but it never moved, only the sleeve around the spring rotated. To test the IAC after cleaning, I have unplugged it and had no change in symptoms. I have since unplugged the battery for 1/2 hour to "reset" the pcm with no change in symptoms.

My parts store guy has a Cherokee and suggested the TPM after I mentioned shifting issues, as did many, many forum threads. I haven't checked the MAP or Crankshaft Position Sensor, but my reading hasn't led me to believe either would be the fault.

I've tried pulling codes with the ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON key method and it's only giving me a '12', or "battery disconnected in last 50 key cycles".

I have also recently replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor before symptoms with a kit from Summit Racing for the 4.0.

Other things I see pop up in search are fuel pump, check valve, leaky injector, etc.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Wrong spark plugs perhaps? XJs are picky, what plugs did you use from Summit.

Check the fuel pressure while running and after shutting down with a fuel pressure gauge. They are cheap, and may be in the free tool rental option at parts stores. Post up the pressure data. It may not be holding pressure.

Air Intake Temp sensor should be tested and cleaned, post the results.

a wandering or hunting idle is usually the result of un-metered air or fuel entering the combustion chamber-- look for a vacuum leak or a leaking injector.

thanks guys. Grabbing a fuel pressure test gauge on the way home from work.

Summit tune-up kit was plug-less. Pretty sure I used Champion Coppers.

I'll Check Air Intake sensor, injectors and Vacuum for leaks when I get home.

Hey, I'm new to NAXJA as well, but not new to cars--if you're checking pressure with the key in on, and getting 12psi, you may have a fuel pump/filter problem, which could help explain the idle problem.

I think cherokee xj fuel pressure (4.0L engine) is supposed to run from 35-45psi.

that's the conclusion I came to as well. I was only getting 12-14psi between the tank and the filter too. So I got a new pump and filter. There's so much rust under that '91 though, I couldn't get the old pump out today. I decided to drop the tank to take it out. Not as easy as it looks. I broke one of the hanger bolts; sheared it right off. Not sure how I'm gonna replace that; might get some threaded rod, bend a 90 at the end and put a nut or two on it. Then I had trouble with the filler hose and one next to it. No clamps, but cant get them off the filler necks. I PB blasted them. Hopefully I can pull them wednesday.

Thanks for the help guys. Haven't checked the intake temp sensor yet. At least my pressure regulator might be good; there was no fuel on the vacuum side. Haven't checked the injectors yet either, but plan to. Couldn't find any vacuum leaks.

btw, Jcasco, it is supposed to be 31psi for pre-96?, (i think, definitely for 91 though) supposed to be 39psi with vacuum hose pulled from regulator. Both according to my Chiltons or haynes manual (I never remember which I have). After 96? it's supposed to be 40-something

Rather than throw parts at it, block off the return fuel line and measure the pressure. If it peaks really high, your pump is good. If not your FPR is badk.

Thanks Old Man, I'll check that tomorrow when I get back on it, before anything else, while my pump is still in the box and returnable

Wait, "If it peaks really high, your pump is good. If not your FPR is bad." I don't quite follow.

High peak: good pump, FPR good or bad?
no high peak: bad FPR, pump good or bad?

Please clarify. It sounds like the pump is good in either scenario and the FPR is bad in either scenario, as phrased

Sorry I did a quick post from work. If the pump can hit the high pressure it is good. If it is good and your pressure is low when not pinched off, then the FPR has to be bad.

Thanks. I feel kinda dumb for not realizing that the FPR could just be bad and letting anything over 12psi go right past it. I also haven't checked the voltage at the pump, which I should do.

12-13 psi. Bleeds off right away

Possibly a bad fuel pressure regulator. Not sure but I think 91 still used low pressure FPRs on the fuel rail like Renix which is 29-39 PSI, but at some point HOs switched to an FPR in the gas tank and pressure of 49 PSI. I never can remember the year it switched, 96 maybe???

Possibly a bad fuel pressure regulator. Not sure but I think 91 still used low pressure FPRs on the fuel rail like Renix which is 29-39 PSI, but at some point HOs switched to an FPR in the gas tank and pressure of 49 PSI. I never can remember the year it switched, 96 maybe???

I definitely have one on the fuel rail for my 91. Few bucks and can be changed in the parking lot with a phillips head screwdriver.

Normally, you don't. But the retaining ring is way too rusted on to be able to spin it while in the Jeep.

You can still get a brass punch or similar on to one of the tabs and bang on it. Or use the special overpriced lock ring tool. PB blaster it a couple times and it should make it easier.

Back