• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Lights

nitehawk64

NAXJA Forum User
:confused1 1995 Cherokee Sport I6 4.0 :confused1

Can it get any worse? Went to make a left turn, pulled T/S lever down. The 2 green arrow lights on the dash started blinking fast along with the Blue bright light indicator. When I got home I turned the Left turn signal on. The FRT & RR left turn signal are on solid not blinking. The same happens if I do the Right turn signal. In the mean time I now do not have any Headlamps period. When I bought this I never did have Front Parking/Clearance lamps. I absolutely hate electrical problems. I’m thinking Light Switch, if so how do you get it out without taking it to a dealer?

Thanks,
John

:explosion

Light switch.........it's probably your turn signal/wiper lever. remove the bezel around the steering column. It has 3 torx screws at the bottom......then to get the actual lever off, there are 2 SECURITY torx bits which hold the assembly on. Advance Auto carries these security torx bits. Like a pack of 8 is 6 bucks or so......

Not that hard to remove. I'm not sure how much a new lever assembly would cost though.

It happened to me, but not as severe. my left side was inop. traced everything back to the multifunctiion lever or turnsignal lever. Replaced it and everything was back to normal. good luck

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I see something out of the ordinary. I let you know what I find. I'm off Rt 6 West of Westville. I just bought this thing not long ago. It is a Cherokee Sport 4 Dr . Body wise couple little rust spots on the rocker. Other than that it is pretty much spotless. It has just under 136000 miles with idle oil pressure of 50 PSI. And 60 PSI at 55 to 60 mph.

John

It's most likely a bad ground somewhere. Check the harnesses and connectors, and especially the connector for the front harness, which is just behind the front bulkhead, beneath the air box. The pins on this corrode, and will cause all sorts of light problems. If it's bad enough, you may even have to bypass some pins. I've had a couple rot right off.

Believe it or not I just came in from the garage. And guess what I found? Yep! Got ta wiggling wires and found that spot. I retired last May just short of 45 years with the same company. My title, Machine Repair Technician. One of the first things I learned. Was to trouble shoot backwards. I was afraid it might be the turn signal switch. And did not care to think of taking the column apart. I've had some issues with the wiring getting hot in that column box when running the blower motor. Long story short I bought this Jeep a short while back. Some kids were stealing vehicles, driving them around and then parking them out in the country. They damaged the column and the person I bought it from, had the whole column replaced with a used one. Apparently there was an issue with it not having a "clock spring" for the airbag. So he paid to have it fixed properly he felt it was his responsibility. And I think the guy who fixed it was a Jeep mechanic by trade. And fix the hot wire issue, something about a resistor for the Blower motor. But thanks for the tip about the plug. I would have been checking this site more before tearing into the column.

Thanks to all that offered help, hopefully I'll be able to help someone in return.

:yelclap:
John
:wave1:

Congrats. Yeah though my blower switch plug is sort of melted.....It's a common thing. Never been recalled so I suppose a fire never was started from it or anything, or it would have been recalled since that's a "life or death" situation thing.

Back