• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Cooling Issue havent read anyhting like this?

One thing to remember is that 100c is normal operating temp, if you are having other issues such as leaks, fix those... but at 100c you are not overheating. Also, 40c is quite low. I'm guessing you live in a cold climate?

actually i dont live in a cold climate :)

so my cap seal being broken could be the reason im having all these issues because i changed the fan clutch and its still doing it so i guess ill be ordering a new cap tommorow hope that works

Take a look at this thread - I ran through mostly the same thing a few days ago. Granted, I'm running an open system and yours is closed, but the theory's still pretty much the same.

If nothing else, at least caps are cheap ;)

I just want to reiterate... between 85c - 100c is the optimal temperature you want the jeep to run, less than 70c is too low.

well so far did alot of town driving today and all looks good looks like that clog i cleaned out was the culprit of that damn gremlin thanks for all the help and glad i got the new cap still and thanks for all the help cheers hopefully i can do the same one day instead of always asking

I have not heard of one it won't fit with the 4.0 engine.

might also have to upgrade that does it kick in on a lower RPM also a buddy was telling me that the YJ fan fits directly in and its better because apparently it pulls more air and engages at a lower RPM can anyone confirm this?

I can disprove part of it.

THERMAL fan clutches are not RPM dependent. The bi-metal spring on the front of the fan clutch will start to open the silicone fluid reservoir in the fan clutch when the temperature of the air hitting the bi-metal spring reaches 170 degrees F (engine coolant temperature will be approximately 30 degrees higher).

Both the standard fan clutch and the HD fan clutch spin at 30 percent of shaft speed when not engaged. The standard fan clutch achieves 60-70 percent of shaft speed and the HD fan clutch achieves 80-90 percent of shaft speed when engaged.

As to if the YJ fan will fit, or is capable of pulling more air, IDK.

Typical description for a failed/failing fan clutch.

NAPA 272310 is the 97-98 ZJ HD fan clutch, $44 down here, direct fit.

Also, buy a Stant 10244 pressure bottle cap, it will work better and gives a slightly higher boiling point to your coolant.

Fan Clutch - Thermostatic
Product Line: NAPA Temp Products

Part Number: TEM 272310

Price:
Unit: 43.99 Each

Warranty Limited Lifetime

Attributes Fan Clutch Bolt Circle Diameter : 1.39"
Fan Clutch Fan Mount Diameter : 2.62"
Fan Clutch Fan Mount Height : 2.25"
Fan Clutch Height : 3.24"
Fan Clutch Overall Diameter : 7.23"
Fan Clutch Pilot Diameter : .63"
Fan Clutch Rotation : Counterclockwise
Fan Clutch Style : 7" Heavy Duty
Fan Clutch Type : Thermal

Application Information: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engines : 4.0 L 242 CID L6
Comments: w/o Maximum Cooling; w/ Reverse Rotation Fan Clutch
Per Car Qty: 1

Is this correct?

Is this correct?

That is the one.

Note: you don't mention your YEAR--the 272310 is for all 4.0s in the XJ; the Stant 10244 cap is only for the closed coolant system with a pressure bottle, 87-90.

That is the one.

Note: you don't mention your YEAR--the 272310 is for all 4.0s in the XJ; the Stant 10244 cap is only for the closed coolant system with a pressure bottle, 87-90.

Joe, that application implies the viscous fan is for a ZJ 4.0L without Maximum Cooling. If our XJ's have Maximum Cooling from the factory, this ZJ viscous fan will work, correct?

How do we know our XJs with the factory Maximum Cooling option, doesn't have a ZJ viscous fan already installed from the factory?

Thanks for the clarification.

Joe, that application implies the viscous fan is for a ZJ 4.0L without Maximum Cooling. If our XJ's have Maximum Cooling from the factory, this ZJ viscous fan will work, correct?

How do we know our XJs with the factory Maximum Cooling option, doesn't have a ZJ viscous fan already installed from the factory?

Thanks for the clarification.

MAX COOL wasn't available on the XJ--ZJ only.

The XJ HD cooling factory cooling option essentially was a 2-row core radiator and an aux fan. If your XJ had a/c you already had the aux fan.

I put in the 272310 Fan Clutch last night. It would not fit originally. I had to remove the radiator support and part of the front clip so I could shove the radiator far enough out of the way that I could slip it in. I have just over a 1/4" or so of clearnace with everything back together.

As soon as it wouldn't fit I realized I have a CSF radiator I put in a years ago. It must be bigger than the original. Pretty sure its still a two core though. Anyways it is in and clearly pushing more air than my old one. It was too cold last night to know if it made a difference though.

Thanks for the help.

MAX COOL wasn't available on the XJ--ZJ only.

The XJ HD cooling factory cooling option essentially was a 2-row core radiator and an aux fan. If your XJ had a/c you already had the aux fan.

okay.... HD cooling package. My XJ came with AC, towing package, 2-row HD radiator, aux fan and trans cooler.

Will the aforementioned 1998 ZJ viscous fan improve the cooling capability on the XJ's HD cooling system? ... I'm assuming the XJ viscous fans are all the same irrespective of the cooling package.

okay.... HD cooling package. My XJ came with AC, towing package, 2-row HD radiator, aux fan and trans cooler.

Will the aforementioned 1998 ZJ viscous fan improve the cooling capability on the XJ's HD cooling system? ... I'm assuming the XJ viscous fans are all the same irrespective of the cooling package.

Yes, when engaged it will pull more air, you will see the difference while wheeling, in traffic, or sitting in the drive-through.

OEM the XJ has one standard fan clutch, regardless of the cooling package option.

Back