• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Got the transmission put back in Wendy's ZJ. Still working on a few other things with it. I'm going to remove the check ball in the transmission cooler line because they've been known to stick with age and burn the transmission up. Only drawback should be it may take a few seconds to refill the torque converter first thing in the AM. Small price to pay for the peace of mind I guess (especially since I won't be the one driving it lol)

And since the early ZJ NP249 t-case used a two-piece output shaft with a viscous coupler (as opposed to the one-piece shaft in the later models) I decided to swap to an NP242. Problem is that my 242 came from an XJ so the input shaft is too short. To compound matters, my 242 is also from a '94 model and in '95 they switched to a different gear pitch on the input, so I couldn't just swap them out. I found all this out after I'd already bought the 242 but it's not a huge issue since I can do the "249/242 hybrid" case. I'll use the front half (transmission side) of the 249 t-case, and the rear half of the 242 t-case. The 249 & 242 share the same front half case so the swap is fairly straightforward from everything I've seen about it online....so I dove in last night:

The victims; 249 up top, 242 on bottom. Notice the different input lengths.

Tearing the 242 down

MUCH better than the viscous coupler for our use!

And I also completed my first successful attempt at putting together an exhaust system. I've tried numerous times in the past to build a makeshift system that worked without leaking, all to differing levels of failure. I wanted this one to be done right since my wife and child would be riding in it. I had a good used catalytic converter that I installed, plus a Walker muffler from RockAuto. I know it doesn't sound like a groundbreaking achievement, but anyone that's ever tried to put an exhaust system together from pieces at home knows how frustrating it can be to get all the pieces to fit together just right, never mind the fact that Jeep decided to throw a curve ball and use a muffler that uses a 2.5" inlet and a 2.25" outlet! The correct muffler to fit this whole mess was only $21, and I already had the piece of pipe from the bogger-welded attempt that was in there before (that leaked like hell) so I'm very happy with the outcome vs. money spent!

Pulled my Z71 transmission this past weekend. Burned up 3-4 clutch pack was the culprit, common problem though. Transmission only had about 10k on it but they used crappy clutches. Gonna use built trans clutch pack, corvette servo, and Transgo shift kit and call it a day. Miss having my truck.

Burned up clutch pack

Got the transmission put back in Wendy's ZJ. Still working on a few other things with it. I'm going to remove the check ball in the transmission cooler line because they've been known to stick with age and burn the transmission up. Only drawback should be it may take a few seconds to refill the torque converter first thing in the AM. Small price to pay for the peace of mind I guess (especially since I won't be the one driving it lol)

And since the early ZJ NP249 t-case used a two-piece output shaft with a viscous coupler (as opposed to the one-piece shaft in the later models) I decided to swap to an NP242. Problem is that my 242 came from an XJ so the input shaft is too short. To compound matters, my 242 is also from a '94 model and in '95 they switched to a different gear pitch on the input, so I couldn't just swap them out. I found all this out after I'd already bought the 242 but it's not a huge issue since I can do the "249/242 hybrid" case. I'll use the front half (transmission side) of the 249 t-case, and the rear half of the 242 t-case. The 249 & 242 share the same front half case so the swap is fairly straightforward from everything I've seen about it online....so I dove in last night:

The victims; 249 up top, 242 on bottom. Notice the different input lengths.

Tearing the 242 down

MUCH better than the viscous coupler for our use!

And I also completed my first successful attempt at putting together an exhaust system. I've tried numerous times in the past to build a makeshift system that worked without leaking, all to differing levels of failure. I wanted this one to be done right since my wife and child would be riding in it. I had a good used catalytic converter that I installed, plus a Walker muffler from RockAuto. I know it doesn't sound like a groundbreaking achievement, but anyone that's ever tried to put an exhaust system together from pieces at home knows how frustrating it can be to get all the pieces to fit together just right, never mind the fact that Jeep decided to throw a curve ball and use a muffler that uses a 2.5" inlet and a 2.25" outlet! The correct muffler to fit this whole mess was only $21, and I already had the piece of pipe from the bogger-welded attempt that was in there before (that leaked like hell) so I'm very happy with the outcome vs. money spent!

That's some great info, thanks. I've always wondered what the inside of a 242 looks like.

Exhaust sucks... I like to get everything mocked up, tack weld it together in 3-4 spots at each joint, drop it again, full weld sitting on the bench/floor, then reinstall. It helps that I use 91-92 style 4 bolt flanged cats and downpipes on all my OBD jeeps, regardless of year, and stock style RENIX (same flange, different downpipe for the different manifold and o2 location) so it is super easy to drop the catback out to weld on it. I even put another of the same flange after the cat on my DD because it keeps puking chunks of cat core into the muffler and I keep having to dump them out. Not gonna replace it till the CEL comes on... keep expecting it every day.

I should remind folks that this is all going into my wife's '95 ZJ to avoid any confusion.

Tonight I started tearing down the 249. I wasn't quite sure what to expect as far as design was concerned, but what I did find wasn't expected.

First off was the oil pump location. An unusual spot since I'm used to looking at 231's lol

That pump looks familiar. Same one as found on the 242 (and possibly the 231)

Now when I started digging further I found that on top of the viscous coupler (that black cylindrical thing on the output shaft), it also uses a planetary style differential just like the 242. So much so, in fact, that I believe it's the same part. I was under the ASSuption that the 249 didn't use a differential and it only relied on the VC to differentiate the 'case outputs. Shows what I know, huh?

I'd also read that the 249's chain was bigger & stronger and this was confirmed tonight. The 249's chain is a full 1/4" wider than the 242's, plus it uses a finer tooth pitch on the gears. Now I have to see if I can swap the gears and chain onto the 242's output shaft for a strength upgrade over the stock 242 chain.

242:

249:

HYBRID: noun\ an object consisting of mixed parts designed to perform in unison to achieve a single goal.

Use: With parts from 6 different vehicles on it, my Jeep is a true hybrid.

Hybrid_zps56e22d3a.jpg

I started to P.M. MEMBERSHIP and remembered that I had too many messages to ever get a response (don't get as many when black)

I phoned a friend who still has an active Paypal and used that instead. She'll just have to give me my new sticker when/if it ever gets there:rof:

He just got married over the weekend, he'll be getting things out soon I'm sure.

P.S. you suck! :D

He just got married over the weekend, he'll be getting things out soon I'm sure.

P.S. you suck! :D

I re-upped in December and haven't received anything yet :bawl:. The Hot Mess is still stickerless, all I have is an old style sticker left that I want to hold onto.

Installed a computer yesterday and the 98 lives. Swapped the hatch with LG and one of his friends. "Beat up Benz" threw a plastic fan blade and now the radiator is pissing all over the driveway..... will it ever end? I need a FSM for the Benz but apparently they don't exist!

HYBRID: noun\ an object consisting of mixed parts designed to perform in unison to achieve a single goal.

Use: With parts from 6 different vehicles on it, my Jeep is a true hybrid.

Hybrid_zps56e22d3a.jpg

I put a FlexFuel emblem on my blue 6.5 diesel... it burned a mix of diesel and 2 stroke oil :D Got a few looks from eco-box drivers.

Nolonger a jeep guy, but I still hop in from time to time. :eyes:

Anyways this is what Ive been up to.

Got my new 10k winch installed on the pickup today. Install went fairly easy. Had to trim the grill a bit to get the winch to fit, and decided to do a side mount solenoid box until I can relocate it to the engine bay. Very happy with the purchase overall. Cant beat it for $150. Hooked the cable to a tree and respooled the winch today for a test and although slow works awesome. Also recently repainted my DCs on the 4runner. I like the black wheels much better than the polished alum. And lastly a messing around picture for good measure. Drove my truck up on the 4runner's tire and tried to snag a pic. Found out the e-brake needs some adjusting haha as it started to slip.

Back