• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I wish the solenoid box mounted on my winch like that... I've got the same p.o.s. but the box is mounted on some cheesy bracket off to the side. I had to modify it to sit over the center.

If I am not mistaken, the bracket that came with mine could be mounted either in the center as such, or off to the side like yours. Mr. Shrek will have to confirm this, I was doing a little body work while the winch was installed on the bumper.

Ed, the trim piece is missing, the one off the old grill mounts different than on the new grill. I need to find out what year this new to me grill is from KP.

Thanks for the compliments folks! I am going to post some pix of the wiring for the lights and the switch. Next up: fixing the right rear leaf spring shackle and installing the rear locker.:repair:

Sobered up and turned red. Apparently in my buzz last night I decided it was time to renew. lol :)
normally, people make bad decisions while drunk :dunno:

finished installing the new d30 at around 3am! Drove the 96 to work. 4 days ago, it could barely limp along and was slashing the tire tread with the fenders due to those pesky control arm brackets breaking off... wheeling it again this weekend, this axle is not rusted out and I braced the LCA mounts a bit with 3/16" plate and boxed in the passenger side UCA mount with more of the same. Some of my best welding yet, I think:

(click for big images)

LCA bracket gusset (put two of these on the outside of the driver's side mount and 1 on the inside of the passenger side mount, would have put 2 on each inside mount ear but the pumpkin was sorta in the way on the driver side and I was in too much of a hurry on the passenger side... oh well it's better than the stock mounts most people wheel and should last at least one trip, I'll add the other later.)

All done with a 110v Lincoln Handy MIG (85-90 amp max iirc) on max power, 3.5 wire feed speed (no idea how many inches/min this actually is), with .035 fluxcore wire. It penetrated surprisingly well.

new axle is lookin like beef for a D30 kastein!

wow.... just realized i was post #4000 on this thread! woot!

not really beefy... if I was going for that, I would pull the stock LCA mounts and pass UCA mount off entirely and replace with 1/4" plate, then gusset that :D

Side note for anyone who decides to do similar - do not gusset both sides of a single mount unless you have a spare bolt and the center sleeve of a bushing (or whatever type joint you use) bolted in tightly, else you won't be able to get the mount to bolt securely onto the joint/bushing when you go to install it. Gusseting the inner sides of the LCA mounts is more productive IMO. Make sure you put the gussets far enough from the bolt hole to get the bolt AND A SOCKET AND RATCHET in there! If you gusset the outer sides of the LCA mounts instead, pay some attention to how far up you put the gussets or you may not be able to get at the bolts for your shock absorbers unless you install BPEs. Fully welding the passenger side UCA mount isn't a bad idea either, I even got the part that sticks out on the back by bashing it flat with my BFH, since it's under tension there I figured it'd still add some strength.

EDIT: oh yeah, welding the inner perimeter of the LCA mounts is a good idea too, only the outside is welded from the factory. Getting the rust and paint out of there is troublesome, I found that a die grinder, my angle grinder with a wire wheel, and my sawzall with a metal cutting blade worked rather nicely :gee:

If I am not mistaken, the bracket that came with mine could be mounted either in the center as such, or off to the side like yours. Mr. Shrek will have to confirm this, I was doing a little body work while the winch was installed on the bumper.

Ed, the trim piece is missing, the one off the old grill mounts different than on the new grill. I need to find out what year this new to me grill is from KP.

Thanks for the compliments folks! I am going to post some pix of the wiring for the lights and the switch. Next up: fixing the right rear leaf spring shackle and installing the rear locker.:repair:

You are correct about the winch solenoid bracket, it could be mounted above the winch motor or over the spool. Shrek chose the spool.

I think the grill header panel is from a 1994 model. I will see if I have a center grill insert for it. I don't remember seeing one but with all the junk we're accumulating, we might have something that will work.

Yeah, I am waiting till the buckshots wear out before I go bigger. Once I do, I am going to at least go with the 34" LTB's.
I still love the white wheels, but my wife is telling me my next investment should be beadlocks, so they might be changing colors soon enough, lol!

Be ready for fun balancing the 34's, I had a set of 34x10.50x15's a couple years ago and traditional balancing would have taken 13oz in one spot on the wheel to balance it out. So I tried the airsoft pellet method and put in 20oz in each tire to more than cover the 13oz requirement and they still wouldn't balance. Loved the tire as it had plenty of grip but was a pain to balance.

Be ready for fun balancing the 34's, I had a set of 34x10.50x15's a couple years ago and traditional balancing would have taken 13oz in one spot on the wheel to balance it out. So I tried the airsoft pellet method and put in 20oz in each tire to more than cover the 13oz requirement and they still wouldn't balance. Loved the tire as it had plenty of grip but was a pain to balance.

Those tires are HEAVY! They're a lot heavier than my BFG MTs.

honestly, once I go to a bias ply tire, my jeep will no longer be a street machine unless it is absolutely necessary. I aim to buy a tow pig soon and then my pile will be a trailer queen, lol!

Ed, thanks for looking, just let me know if you find anything!

Well, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow... My little DD Ranger pick-up just randomly decided that it was time for the R&P to explode while driving back to work from lunch half an hour ago. I had a co-worker in the passenger seat... It was the first time he'd ever rode with me. I imagine it is also the last time. LOL

It was actually kinda fun sliding sideways then looking at the expression on his face... :) Now I get to go find a donor axle this after noon. Yay for me.

Went to the Nashville pick and pull and was denied an 8.8 with 4.10s. There were 3.73s there all day long.

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you this morning. I was up early and getting stuff accomplished. eh, I could leave it. ha

Re-tubing a drive shaft the wife twisted in two! Run out turned out to be .004, not bad for hand tools! :cool:

Yanking the front apart on Chucky and finding a busted lower ball joing and still need to look at locker. At least it doesn't appear to be the C's. Camber is still within spec! :)

59398_1606691696015_1497857348_31568810_2641727_n.jpg

a lil cabernet red paint would look good on that drive shaft!

One of my tasks today was to clean up the back yard some.

I recently picked up this workbench on CL for free. It was in a garage (which I don't have) so I had to seal it. The end result:
4980702373_e84126ab4c_b.jpg

After that, I had to move all this other lumber I have sitting outside. I got this all for free as well. Along with this, there is a number of 2x4s.

4981309392_c1d660d016_b.jpg

Well, to organize everything, I cobbled together this temporary container to hold all this decking:
4981310368_8f1aaa988e_b.jpg

After all the decking was moved, it looks much better; and it's all off the ground:
4981310832_340a7c15f3_b.jpg

The table itself weighs a TON and I was by myself. So I used some genuine Egyptian engineering. I used spare 2x4s as a track and slid the table over them:
4981309844_5b4020d9fa_b.jpg

to

4980704181_f24ff90e9c_b.jpg

Then towards the fence:

4980704615_d16de5280b_b.jpg

and further:

4980705129_d65ecaa7d5_b.jpg

Then I stacked the 2x4s on the bottom shelf to get them out of the elements

4981311280_89f3efe739_b.jpg

Oh, and I found this little guy inside one of my barrels:
4981312046_5198a0cd2c_b.jpg

Last edited:
My radio wasn't working, was in the midst of doing other things, so 2 of my buddies jumped in and tore into it, find out that is whats causing my guage problems, previous owner seriously rigged up the wiring back there... Everything will be fixxed 2moro...

Hit a local trail 2nite to test for breakage, had none, hoping to go to URE next weekend.

Finally decided to get off my butt and do the 4wd conversion. Getting a trans and case within a month whenever the guy makes it this way. Need to locate some other parts but should be happening!

Finally decided to get off my butt and do the 4wd conversion. Getting a trans and case within a month whenever the guy makes it this way. Need to locate some other parts but should be happening!

Project time!!!

Hung out with my dad yesterday and helped him work on a friend's new dirt bike (changed out the jets in the carb and put a new exhaust on it).

Probably relax today and ponder what i'm going to do about my job this week...

Back