• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Just finished pulling these off a zj. Now time to get them ready to go on the xj.
131ce001c7d10cbfe925438359b4fcda.jpg

I cut up and rewelded my exhaust for about the 5th time since I've started wheeling it. I can't keep it in tact and un-mangled for anything. Wrapped it where it goes over the long arm crossmember so my new rubber trans lines don't rub and melt. Filled the trans up and let it run for about 20 minutes to make sure everything could get nice and hot and just to let it run for the first time in a little bit over a month. Then I washed it out with a hose. Vacuumed a ton of dirt and broken glass out of it and then sprayed everything in it. Much happier with the interior now, it's still dirty but its alright for now. I just can't stand some nasty looking seats. I'll fix my half door this week and might start the rear ones too. Going to Golden mountain in TN for labor day and I'll be very ready to get back on the trails.

Just walked in the door from a 5 day vacation to Michigan visiting some friends. Ate a lot of good local food, drank a lot of good local beer, and got some beach time in on Lake Michigan.

Reality is going to hit hard in the morning...

Just walked in the door from a 5 day vacation to Michigan visiting some friends. Ate a lot of good local food, drank a lot of good local beer, and got some beach time in on Lake Michigan.

Reality is going to hit hard in the morning...

Did you see Cobbler Chris?

Did you see Cobbler Chris?

Not this time around. I was on the opposite side of the state in the Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Holland areas.

Tried to meet up with Brennan (smashole) while I was in Holland but couldn't make it work. Next time hopefully.

We installed my new drop bracket reinforcement brackets and another crossmember Saturday afternoon. We found and tapped the 3rd hole on each side forward of the transmission crossmember to add some more strength and for future use with longarms if the time ever comes.

The only pain from installing everything was the repeated crushings of the factory crossmember had pulled the uni-body rails inward about 1/2" total so we had to use a file to elongate the factory holes in the crossmember so the bolts would go in. My rails have been plated with HDOR stiffners for years too.

I really need to build or seek out a HD replacement crossmember that can actually take some abuse, unlike the factory stamped steel one.

I really need to build or seek out a HD replacement crossmember that can actually take some abuse, unlike the factory stamped steel one.

Guy on pirate used the stock crossmember, cut the bottom off of it then welded 1/4" steel to the bottom of it.

I have a stock crossmember in my garage here in greensboro.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Super easy to build one. Drill a couple holes in a piece of 2x4x.25, taper the ends and weld tabs on the end. BAM.

This is what I was thinking of doing. I do have a $100 gift card for Rusty's so that might be one route to go too.

I like the PureJeep crossmember and skid but $380 is a little more than I'd like to spend.

Nick, I also thought about plating and beefing up a stock unit. That would be pretty easy.

My crossmembers always fold like a taco. :looney:

Getting ready to go buy a 98 XJ to add to the fleet.80K miles,VERY clean
a small budget lift and 16" tires/wheels.
Local owner(3 miles away).Will keep it stock.

This is what I was thinking of doing. I do have a $100 gift card for Rusty's so that might be one route to go too.

I like the PureJeep crossmember and skid but $380 is a little more than I'd like to spend.

Nick, I also thought about plating and beefing up a stock unit. That would be pretty easy.

My crossmembers always fold like a taco. :looney:

Like what Andy said, this is the one Stump built me 2 years ago.
9550d87fa9d0cd0bde459c648b720976.jpg

Drove up above Charlotte to buy an RV.

Blew a tire in Redneckville, NC on the way back home. These people barely knew what a tire was... much less how to sell me a new one.

Limped it to the next town over where people knew how to read and write where I bought 4 new tires to get me the rest of the way home.

Also, I camped in the Walmart parking lot.

Fun times.

MoHo1_zpsoaeu7ccd.jpg

Did the obstacle course and mud bog at the county fair yesterday. I did well, but nowhere near well enough in the obstacle course compared to the tube buggies. Mud bog they had divided into classes, in the mid level class I lost 1st place by 5 feet, still good enough for 2nd and $100 payout!

And now I'm headed back to Nevada tomorrow to hang out with old friends there for a week.

P8291191.jpg

P8291442.jpg

Last edited:
Back