• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend in Moab!

UtahFire

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from a fantastic weekend in Moab. We had a party of 10 vehicles and about 30 people. I personally spent over $1,000 in local businesses. I'm sure the whole group dropped more than $10,000 over the 5 days. We talked about the businesses who we had identified as supporters of groups like SUWA and did not spend one cent in their businesses.

If anyone reading this post lives in Moab, you might want to share this one story with your business friends.

Glad to hear you patronized the business that do NOT support SUWA. Unfortunately there are other business here that support SUWA but not publicly. So unknowingly you may have supported them in that way. I might add that I have two business here in Moab and I do not discriminate against those who I know are "greenies". If they choose to spend their money at my business, I have no problem with that because most know my position with land use issues. But (generally) I will not patronize their business if I have a choice. In my case, there are very limited services that I provide and in one of my businesses, I am the only one in Moab that offers that service. Businesses that openly support SUWA will never get a dime of my money. By the way, I read the editorial comments in the Times Independent you wrote. That's how to get the word out. Anyone else who comes to Moab should do the same. And best of all, it's FREE!!

you got a list of the out spoken supporters of SUWA? We go to Moab twice a year and I sure don't want to support any of those SOBs! :mad:
They closed off a lot of the old haunts in California we use to run and now they want to do so in Utah.

UtahFire said:
You can find the list here on SUWA's website.

http://www.suwa.org/entry.php?entry_id=657
Have they edited that list? Last I heard it wasn't all true. I know of a couple(Moab Chevron for one) who did not know what they were getting into when they signed that list.

Here is what I say people do....Walk into these places and ASK them. Do not be confrontational....just ask them. If they are true supporters of the off-road community they will tell you. Also if you walk in and ask them and they tell you that they do not support the off-road community then you politely tell them that you are no longer going to support their business and you plan on yelling loudly to everyone that will listen to not support them either.

This will let see how much it will harm their business in a much more personal way.

DrMoab said:
Have they edited that list? Last I heard it wasn't all true. I know of a couple(Moab Chevron for one) who did not know what they were getting into when they signed that list.

Most of the businesses on the list are "minor" players and off-road users are not likely to frequent them anyway. There are a few businesses like Moab Chevron that do benefit from off-road patrons. I wrote an email to Moab Chevron and they said that "if they had known how people would react, they would not have signed it". I have determined not to spend my money at Moab Chevron due to the fact that they are just stupid.

SUWA and thier agenda is well known in the Moab community. Each of these businesses knew who they were getting in to bed with.

There is more to the Moab Chevron story then that though...and it just goes to show how devious and underhanded SUWA works their business.

SUWA contacted the owner of Moab Chevron and talked to his wife..who happens to be from another country and doesn't communicate in English very well. They pretty much suckered her into signing on to that add without knowing what she was even signing.
UtahFire said:
Most of the businesses on the list are "minor" players and off-road users are not likely to frequent them anyway. There are a few businesses like Moab Chevron that do benefit from off-road patrons. I wrote an email to Moab Chevron and they said that "if they had known how people would react, they would not have signed it". I have determined not to spend my money at Moab Chevron due to the fact that they are just stupid.

SUWA and thier agenda is well known in the Moab community. Each of these businesses knew who they were getting in to bed with.

DrMoab said:
There is more to the Moab Chevron story then that though...and it just goes to show how devious and underhanded SUWA works their business.

I agree that SUWA uses underhanded methods to feed their propaganda machine. However, Moab Chevron is specifically named on SUWA's website as a supporter (not just in the letter). I would suggest the owners should do more to get their business name removed.

Quoted from www.suwa.org

"The letter writers – who include a broad spectrum of residents and businesses from all over Utah, like former Grand County Council member Al McLeod; the Alta Lodge; Moab Chevron; Powder Corporation of Park City; and Petzl America – say several recent legal steps taken by the State of Utah could undermine protection of key natural areas and cost the state valuable opportunities for economic development."

http://www.suwa.org/entry.php?entry_id=657

Back