• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump Q???

rob in wmi

NAXJA Forum User
i am takeing out my water pump and how do you get the pully bolts off when i cant get it to stop spinning any ideas
i dont have $200 bucks to spend on labor

I changed mine recently and don't fully remember but I think I loosened them before I removed the belt.

Also I saw a mechanic do it by wedging a pry bar or long screw driver into the holes then tightening or removing them.

Hope this helps.

As per anaheimxj's suggestions, wedge a square shaft screwdriver alongside two of the bolt heads to keep the pulley from rotating. With your other hand, loosen the other two bolts but don't remove them. Rotate the pulley so that you can wedge the screwdriver against the loosened bolt heads and then loosen the remaining two tightened bolts. Viola.

Erik
88 Comanche

When I changed the water pump, i broke the bolts loose before I removed the belt. Then after I took the belt off, they threaded right out with my fingers. Also, you could try one of those craftsman strap wrenches. They work pretty good.

HTH

Back