• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Lifespan/whats the deal !

wrecklaw71

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ sport we got it new in "00" and it seems to go through to many water pumps. warranty has replaced 2 in the past four years. now that the warranty has run out and I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket pump. In the past I have bought Milodan, Flowcooler etc.. for old musclecars and stuff are they just as good for Jeeps 4.0 I6 or is there a better brand for this app. the bearing is geting worn on the pump that is on it now so it will need to be replaced in the near future. any advice would be greatly appreciated ,,, anyone else have this problem ?.

I am told that tension is fine , the first pump fried out and that would have been done from the factory the other two installed at dealer so I am not 100 % sure thats the cause . it could be ,but it seems unlikely" maybe it is another "jeep mystery"

yeah i think its a normal thing on the cherokee. I have replaced plenty of them on mine and others. I think its due to the poor design of the belt as the tensioner puts side pressure on it (not good) and puts more wear on the bearings, just go to autozone and buy one with a lifetime warranty and you're set! i guess you could say "It's a Jeep thing"

I don't know about the late 4.0 but the 89 etc. with a screw type tensioner would last 130K miles and the second pump would probably outlast the Cherokee!
Maybe the new type tensioner is causing the problem?

I don't know about the late 4.0 but the 89 etc. with a screw type tensioner would last 130K miles and the second pump would probably outlast the Cherokee!
Maybe the new type tensioner is causing the problem?

Mine, 87, lasted 170k mi, then it literally exploded. second one outlasted the motor. I agree the problem is probably somthing else, most likely belt tension. my father's 01 has 60k, and original pump.

Mine ('95) lasted about 125k before it started weeping, but it didn't seize or blow up. New one is probably only 5k old.

Mine has the screw type tensioner also and its an "01" . Tension is set fine ,all of the replacement pumps have been mopar pumps from the dealer because it was under warranty. if i set the tension any looser the belt squeals and its not pulleys ,,there in great shape , the jeep only has 43,xxx miles on it.

I know this post is old but it`s on the top 2 lines when I googled water pump life span so here`s my 2cents.

I bought my 1996 XJ that was owned from New by a Female Senior citizen and I have all the bills with her name on it from the dealer, it was taken in for every fluid change, flush and top up no coners cut on the maintenence.

With that being said the records show the water pump was changed at 173,087 KM.

The serp belt lasted 100,000 then done again at 188,343 KM as already stated water pump life can be cut short if your serp belt is to tight or loose that in turn will heat up the bearings and burn them out early...

Hope this clears things up for the Jeep obsessed newbies...

My first two lasted many many many miles.....the vat ozone Junkers i keep throwing at it normally last 2 years. For the record I am a professional automotive service tech and I'm pretty sure mine gets tensioned properly :)

I thought these water pumps were bulletproof?? Mines 25+ years and doesn't even leak. Changed 2.5 years ago because the bearing was drying up, didn't want to risk it so I bought another. More than 2 pumps within a couple years means something is wrong.

Yeah... if you are putting a new pump in it every couple years, just buy an OEM part next time and save the T&E

I blew my old stock pump apart and put a flowkooler on and it's been find for 3 years now, but make sure your belt isn't to tight.

My first pump lasted through the first motor at 225k miles. The second one lasted through that motor when I hydroed it after about 70k. The current one has been on there for 5 years now with no issues. One and two had the stock 91 tensioning system. The last on e has the newer belt routing and tension system. I switched when I added the stroker and 99+ intake.

All have been autozone/advance waterpumps other than the factory unit.

Sounds like a belt tension issue. You should definitely have longer life to those water pumps. On my 90 Renix rig it lasted til 180k miles and have put another 20k on it with no issues with the new water pump.

The stock water pump should last over 100k miles as long as the belt tension is correct, you have the proper ratio of antifreeze/water with corrosion inhibitor, and you religiously change the coolant every 2 years.

Back