• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water for fuel?

There is a shop Teacher in Connecticut that started out developing a way to use Water to weld, and accidentaly found a way to run a car on water, I'll try to find it on YouTube but he and his car were on the news a while back, so it can be done

there is something to do with the catalyst, baking soda, and using compressed water and hydrogen - that is all i gathered!

:rolleyes: Oh, please.......

Water is H(2)O, aka dihydrogen monoxide, 2 hydrogens and an oxygen atom. Hydrogen and oxygen combining to form water yields a huge amount of released energy. This is why something like the Space Shuttle burns liquid hydrogen and oxygen in it's main engines. Conversely, it takes a huge energy input to split water molecules into it's component atoms.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if the benefit the site claims comes from the extra oxygen available, or if the hydrogen is a catalytic.

Can this work? Sure, if you've got a *CHEAP* form of energy that you can use to split water. Remember that it takes work from the engine to generate the electricity used to in this device.

I don't know about the huge energy requirements to split H20, we used to do it on a regular basis on the subs I've served on. The 'box' is about the size of a refrigerator and separates to it's two components, Hydrogen and Oxygen, both stored at 5000psi in tanks, we considered the hydrogen to be a dangerous waste byproduct and would pump it overboard back aft so it mixed with the turbulence from the screw preventing 'sniffer' tracking and a big hydrogen wake that could be detected from satellites. Unfortunately I don't remember the input requirements from the power panel that fed it. We used it to replenish the oxygen in the internal atmosphere. I know we had to dump that storage tank after every 8 hours of running the cracker and it took about 4 hours to vent it.
I do know that Hondas wall mount setup ran off 110V but they never gave a CFM rating on the dual scuba tank sized generator. Every submarine in the US Navy and every other navy in the world has them. We would process water from the 500 gallon per day distiller, the 5000 gallon a day distiller was used for potable water. I doubt if I have my SIB's [Ships Information Book] that showed all those systems including power and all the qualification information anymore. Generally we would run one of the two generators once a week to keep the O2 levels at 11% vs the 19% we breathe in the rest of the world.
The last sub I served on, Will Rogers SSBN659, went to the breakers in the late 80's along with almost all the original SSBN's from the cold war. The only ones left were the ones modified for seal team and special warfare use.
Way back then I remember reading intelligence briefings about other navys developments and the some of the other countries development of power systems for their littoral submarines [shallow water and coastal] was very impressive. I know two countries that have been using hydrogen fuel cell technology to power them for over 20 years and it's not the US or Soviets, those boats used to throw the fear of god into the sonar operators, they were undetectable except with an active ping.
Hydrogen is the future, we just need to find a cheaper way to get it out of the water.

Beej said:
.... my eyebrow was raised...

Uh.....

unibrow.gif

ChiXJeff said:
Remember that it takes work from the engine to generate the electricity used to in this device.
Why is it that phrase, "conservation of energy" keeps ruining things?

Matthew Currie said:
There's something about the use of canning jars that does not fill me with confidence.
But canning jars are great for holding vaporized water under pressure...and it looks so professional................:roflmao:

This is one of my favorite parts of it - "You will need a small aquarium pump and a cellphone charger.".....sounds like some McGeyver bomb making BS to me. Don't forget the bubble gum to hold it all together!

Back