• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washington ORV Permit

LOL OK it didn't take too much reading:

ORV use permits and ORV tags shall be required under the provisions of this chapter except for the following:
(SNIPPAGE)
(6) Vehicles which are licensed pursuant to chapter 46.16 RCW or in the case of nonresidents, vehicles which are validly licensed for operation over public highways in the jurisdiction of the owner's residence.

46.16 RCW defines the requirements for Licensing Vehicles in the State of Washington. (aka what it takes to be Street Legal, among other things)

Just as I thought, it's the same as the other states. Simply having an ORV Sticker does NOT make you "Street Illegal". What it DOES do is makes your Street Legal vehicle also legal as an ORV on Designated ORV Trails, Routes etc. (Roads that are Impassible by conventional, low ground clearance motor vehicles, and are specifically posted as "ORV Route" or "ORV Trail" by the Washington DNR)

Whomever is heading to the Reiter Foothills meeting - can you ask if an ORV Permit will be required to use the area, and, what effect an ORV Permit has on Street Legality... just so the Experts have a chance to throw their $0.02 in.

But there isn't a trail system that I know of that requires an ORV tag for a rig. Evan's, Elbe, Walker, and Reiter you only need to be street legal on FS roads. And an ORV tag will not do it. So what would be the point in having one unless it is not street legal. A motor vehical needs these tags to ride on all FS land and trails. So quads, motor cycles, and any buggy needs a ORV tag.

The real question is what are they going to do with the extra funds generated from these permits? Give it away like they did with all the NOVA funds this year.
I was told funds will go to National Parks, which coincidently have very few if not no ORV trails. So figure that one out... :confused:

You can not have a rig with ORV and street tags at the same time.
Actually I personally saw three (street legal) Jeeps with both Washington state plates, and an ORV permit. By doing so they are now dual registered as on road and off road vehicle. The ORV tag does not make them legal for FS roads, it makes them legal for off road use.

I like the discussion, but everyone has their own .02. Some people may think others are spreading BS, and vice versa. I think the only way to get to the bottom is to talk to multiple officials who know the rules when it comes to Washington ORV areas.

I just find it hard to believe people are paying $50 to dual register their vehicles, when in fact it does nothing. If I have time later this week I'll try and contact some people for more information.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. Dave has it right.

If your rig is licensed/registered for road use, you do not need an ORV permit to access trails in WA state

If your rig is not licensed/registered or street legal you can get an ORV permit to access trails legally.

Here's the tricky part:

With a ORV permit you are ONLY allowed on the trails. You are not granted access to and from the trails via FS roads AT ALL.

For the record I'll try this a different way as well.
Being dually registered does absolutely nothing. Having a legal vehicle you can access both roads and trails. Having a ORV permit you are only allowed on the trails.

Can anyone argue this? I'd love to know of trails where a ORV permit is required of legal vehicles.

Back