• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

was the 242 tc an option behind a manual tranny?

falcon556 said:
What is your preferred method for shifting to 4L?

Basically I just pushed the clutch in, slowly rolling, or not. With the factory fluid in it would bump bump bump bump bump bump shift, with the Mobil-1 atf in it would shift seamlessly, instant gratification so to say.

cjben said:
I am considering swapping my 231 for a 242. I have a 92 with the 4.0 and 5 speed manual tranny. was the 242 ever put behind the manual tranny form the factory? what years 242 would be a direct swap without swapping input shafts? if i do this,I want it to be a bolt in affair,and not have to take the tc apart. thanks!!

I actually did this in my 99.
It slipped right in, no extra parts, besides the trim piece inside the cab showing the new full time 4x4.
I'm not sure if the 92 is the same or not, but i cant imagine it being much different. Just remember to check or change the spedo sensor, and get a TC out of a truck of about the same year.
Mine came out of a 99 grand Cherokee.

Back