• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn XD9000i winch brake

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Anyone removed and SUCESSFULY replaced a brake assembly in a Warn 8000 or 9000 series winch?

I used that article as a basis for my tear down, only to find this copy of the Warn manual, that says if the clutch unwinds, it's history: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/Manuals, articles/Service_Manual_Work_Sheet_XD9.pdf
I too had to use a drift to remove my brake. Since I didn't have Warn's "caution" before disassembly, I didn't keep pressure on the shoes. I felt/heard a "wheral" that I assumed meant it unwound in my hand.

Did you remove the brake shoes? Was the unit easy to put back into the drum?
When you reinstalled yours, how did you test it? Have you actually been in a place where the brake was needed? Such as a steep incline?

I have an e-mail into Warn, but I have a feeling their solution is too shake there head and suggest I buy a new assembly.

I actually haven't put mine back together yet. The main body is being powder coated right now. I wish I had more information for you. Maybe if you can update this thread with the information you find, then I'll know where to look when it comes time to get mine up and running. :D

Update on winch reassembly.
All back together with new Aeroshell 33ms grease.
Not sure about brake operation, yet. I sent an e-mail to Warn, but so far, no response. Actually, I don't expect them to be helpful--liability issue??
Looking at the brake assembly, I didn't think the tension was adequate--the spring didn't even cause the cones to contract, which appears to be required to force the 3 pads outward so they will contact the drum wall. So, I rotated the cams one revolution, which then required me to keep something around the pads to keep the assembly from "unwinding".
There doesn't seem to be an "out of vehicle" method of testing the brake.
I rigged my snatch block to a beam in the garage, and ran the cable through it. I then hoisted an 85lb block, hoping the weight would be sufficient to test the brake action. Upon releasing power-in, it did, in fact hold the weight without spooling back out. Hopefully it was the brake holding, and not just the 156:1 reduction gear.
I then tried power-out. The the weight dropped without obvious over speed, but upon releasing the power, the winch chatters a little before halting.
This is a concern, but not sure what to expect, since I was using the winch as a hoist. Dropping a dead weight ~6 inches then stopping it could cause very large shock loads. I've never used my Warn in this manner before, always having all 4 wheels on the ground while winching.
Any comments? Individual experience with your Warn 8000/9000 winch regarding the brake action?

I took a look at my assembly briefly over the weekend. I noticed to two cam like pieces with the sping in the middle, but I didn't see anything that would indicate whether or not it had unwound. It would be nice to know if there is a problem with it before I put the assembly back together.

If you've released tension on the three brake pads, which will happen when you remove the brake assembly without sliding it into a tube just large enough to hold all parts tightly, the brake assembly has unwound.
I tried to "re-clock" mine. I installed it, but didn't feel comfortable hanging on a "waterfall", hoping the brake would hold. I contacted Warn Industries, who would not give me any guidance regarding re-clocking the brake spring, or testing the unit. They claimed potential liability issues; however, they did authorise me to return my brake assembly for a free rewind! My hat's off to Warn.
I now have the unit back, and can I see the difference between where I had reset the "ears" and where they have set them. It's obvious the unit has more tension than I had accomplished.
So, my advice, if you think your brake has unwound, is to contact War.

Back