• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Hidden Winch

'91, this seems to be acompletely different kit to the one shown on your first post. I like this one. Beefing it up with the extra brackets is a good idea. We will all like to know how it turn out.

techno1154 said:
'91, this seems to be acompletely different kit to the one shown on your first post. I like this one. Beefing it up with the extra brackets is a good idea. We will all like to know how it turn out.

I promise it's the same kit. if you look at the pics, all the same brackets are there..............:cheers:

Since it is now all nice and clean, it would be great if you could make a carefully measured blueprint so that other people can duplicate it. If you want to sketch it up on paper and snail mail it to me, I can transfer it into AutoCAD. I already have the mounting frame for the factory/Ramsey version in AutoCAD, so I would really like to add this one as a comparison.

This one mounts the winch with its feet pointing down at the ground? (Normal orientation, in other words.) The Ramsey hidden winch kit rotates the winch so the feet point back at the radiator cross brace, and that requires reclocking the controls on the winch.

91 Jeep Project said:
Here are the spacers they used for the frame mounts, since there is a lip on the bottom of the crossmember the unit can't sit flush without them.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

I'm willing to bet that you have the spacers in wrong... the black long one probably goes on top of the frame lip and the two round ones underneath where you currently have them. This would serve to distribute the load over a wider area, like the reinforcement plates that come with some hitches.

Eagle said:
Since it is now all nice and clean, it would be great if you could make a carefully measured blueprint so that other people can duplicate it. If you want to sketch it up on paper and snail mail it to me, I can transfer it into AutoCAD. I already have the mounting frame for the factory/Ramsey version in AutoCAD, so I would really like to add this one as a comparison.

This one mounts the winch with its feet pointing down at the ground? (Normal orientation, in other words.) The Ramsey hidden winch kit rotates the winch so the feet point back at the radiator cross brace, and that requires reclocking the controls on the winch.

so eagle.....how large of a ramsey winch will work with your diagram ? I got a 12000E lying around that I need to incorperate into my rig...

Lawn Cher' said:
I'm willing to bet that you have the spacers in wrong... the black long one probably goes on top of the frame lip and the two round ones underneath where you currently have them. This would serve to distribute the load over a wider area, like the reinforcement plates that come with some hitches.

They are actually in there right, checked the instructions a few times. If you move the support plate to the top there is about a 1/4" gap that will not close when you tighten down the bolts. I will be getting some CAD drawlings done of the pieces sometime. So I will post them when I do.

The OEM/Ramsey kit will only fit a 6k winch. And because of how they mount it, you have to have a special clocked unit that they do not even sell anymore. The Warn kit fits a M8000. The M8000 and the Patriot Profile 8000 are the same dimensions. The Patriot Profile 9k winch also has the same Dimensions. So it is quite possible to get one of those in here.

Threw these together real quick so you could see the brackets I'll be using instead of what it came with. This one will be replacing the inside brackets for the bumper mounts.

CustomBracket1.jpg

This isn't a replacement, but an addition. Since there is nothing more than the two frame bolts that tie it in, I wanted to add this. Plus I will now have tow hooks as well.

CustomBracket2.jpg

This is exactly what I've been looking for for a while now. Over here in England stuff like this is sooo rare.

I would really appreciate a set of any blueprints / AutoCAD drawings and anything that may help me manufacture my own (or similar).

A BIG thanks for posting this stuff

Compared the numbers: The Ramsey Patriot Profile 8,000 - 9,000 - 9,500 winches all have the same Exact Dimensions. The kit is made for a Warn M8000. Compared to that the Ramseys are 1" longer, a little bit shorter, and the mounting pattern is the same; so it could be possible.............:lecture:

Just some updated pics. I scored some stock tow hook brackets that already had the additional holes for the OEM/Ramsey kit. Everything lined up perfectly. Now there are 2 bolts per side pinching the frame between the winch plate bracket and the tow hook bracket. Rather than just the two winch plate bolts that hook through the stock bumper mounts. In addition it ties in the rear bumper mount bolt as well as the through the frame bolts that most tow hook kits use. So now all the stock bumper mounts are utilized, with the addition of the rear through the frame bolt, as well as the bottom frame mounts. That makes for 10 bolts holding the winch kit to the frame instead of 6. The pics are not of it mounted up, but just some shots the tow brackets on as well as the bumper brackets so you can kind of see how it all comes together.

Hidden4.jpg

Hidden3.jpg

Hidden2.jpg

Hidden1.jpg

So when are we going to see some cad drawings or at least dimensions?

Kurt

Well, he doesnt wheel, or wrench...and he is off for a week, so maybe he'll get off his ass and do something for someone else for once.

Back