• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to get rid of the 2.8?

86wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I got my wagon about 9 months ago for 250.00$ and it's great. I just put a 4.5rc on it with some other goodies and it gets around pretty good up until you try to climb a steep incline. The carburated 2.8 is a piece of ****!!! I had to get winched up a hell of a hill last weekend buy a wrangler b/c the darn thing stalled! So let me know what will bolt up in it's place.

I have just finished my engine swap. I have an 85 cherokee that had the 2.8.
I swaped a 3.1 from a 91 camaro with only 41k on it. Runs alot better than it did. Pulls great on the highway. The 3.4 is the best option, but I got my 3.1 complete for $350.
Do a search on the swap. Its a very easy swap just a few things change like need to use an electric fuel pump, neutral balance the flywheel, swap oil pans(pick up tube and lower part of the pump, have it resurfaced at napa) and timming chain cover(water pump and acc) intakes unless you have the ecm and harness from the mpi.
Well worth the swap...which ever motor you choose.
~Rich

86wagonman said:
I got my wagon about 9 months ago for 250.00$ and it's great. I just put a 4.5rc on it with some other goodies and it gets around pretty good up until you try to climb a steep incline. The carburated 2.8 is a piece of ****!!! I had to get winched up a hell of a hill last weekend buy a wrangler b/c the darn thing stalled! So let me know what will bolt up in it's place.

What year is your jeep? If 84 or 85 it will have a carb. 86 and up will have fuel injection. The 2.8 either way you look at it is junk. I have the 2.5 four cylinder and it does great for me. I little trouble on some very steep climbs but a new Weber carb will work out great.
Do you use this jeep as a DD or just the trails? Let us know what you would like to do with the jeep and it will help us out on trying to help you decide on what to do.
There are alot of options out there.

Kim.

If he has a 2.8L it has a carb.
IIRCC AMC Jeep only put the 2.8L in in 2 years, 84', 85', and 86' and at no time used FI on those engines.
The original carb is a Rochester with a air door secondary, not actually a bad carb if tuned right, though it is still picky in inclines. I never blamed the engine for this though.

The 2.8L doesn't really start coming on until 2,800rpm or so, then you have enough air flow to open the secondary. A 2.8L with 31's really likes 4.56's instead of the 3.73's that many came with. The increase in crawl ratio, ability to climb obsticals and highway power all increases.

This is what I have seen people doing under the hood:
Convert to FI by swaping over the intake, TB, harness and computer from a GM truck or car with a 2.8L
Swap in a 3.1L or 3.4L with FI, harness, and computer from a GM truck or car.

edit If you really like carbs, you could install one of these: http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/HT-34-V6-Crate-Engine-S10-Truck-Repower-12363230-P25C56.aspx.

The transmission is set up for a 60deg GM motor, so many of the small V6s will work, but a 3.8L will not as it has the V8 pattern.

At any rate, It is my opinion that you will be spending way more time, money, and effort doing this that finding a 4.0L model, swaping your axles and lift kit over to the newer Jeep, gutting your waggy for parts, and sending the husk to the scrap.

You could always swap in a 2.5L - NOT - ;)

Last edited:
Zuki-Ron said:
The transmission is set up for a 60deg GM motor, so many of the small V6s will work, but a 3.8L will not as it has the V8 pattern.

At any rate, It is my opinion that you will be spending way more time, money, and effort doing this that finding a 4.0L model, swaping your axles and lift kit over to the newer Jeep, gutting your waggy for parts, and sending the husk to the scrap.

Could be wrong...but I think the 3.8 from a front wheel drive 88-89 model year will bolt in. It still has the rear wheel drive motor mounts cast on the block, but uses the same corporate FWD bolt pattern for the trans. You can get on out of a buick with the harnes and computer and should be able to make it work with little mods.

sycho15 said:
That would be cool, some of those Buick 3.8Ls are turboed!
I wouldn't go there...you would need a good supply of spare trannys, axles, Tcases, etc....plus turbos hate being dunked in cold water while 4 wheeling.

But a stock 3.8 buick will give you the same kind of performance as the 4.0.

well everything you guys have said sounds good, but I still don't know if it's worth all the trouble? I don't owe anything on this jeep so it would be stupid to get one that's newer and than have to make payments on it. does anyone know if the chevy 4.3lt fuely will bolt up to the 904? my tranny and t-case are in great condition, so I would really like to keep them! by the way my jeep is an 86 and I like to go trail riding, and pretty much for right now I'm sticking to the 4-5 rated trails if that helps out? later on I plan on doing the V8 swap but that will be awhile.

86wagonman said:
well everything you guys have said sounds good, but I still don't know if it's worth all the trouble? I don't owe anything on this jeep so it would be stupid to get one that's newer and than have to make payments on it. does anyone know if the chevy 4.3lt fuely will bolt up to the 904? my tranny and t-case are in great condition, so I would really like to keep them! by the way my jeep is an 86 and I like to go trail riding, and pretty much for right now I'm sticking to the 4-5 rated trails if that helps out? later on I plan on doing the V8 swap but that will be awhile.

The 3.8L and 4.3L engines are 90 degree engines, so, no, they are not a direct bolt on to the 60 degree flange on the stock TF904.
Perhaps advanced adapters has something ?

Here is a YJ 4.3L install http://www.pahighlander.com/YJ_4-3L_Swap.htm
Trooper 3.4L swap http://home1.gte.net/res8hec7/trooper28to34cameroengineswap/
How to polish your present turd ;) http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/

Consider the the 4.0L option I mentioned. You can get older 4.0L Jeeps cheap. Since you already have deeper gears than the stock 4.0L, you can reuse your axles, and if you want to regear, you don't have to pay for a carrier.

Enjoy!
,Ron

86wagonman said:

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE MIGHTY 2.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, they are pretty much useless i love my 4.0.
i hope you get into a good situation soon

Zuki-Ron said:

Ron, don't be hating the four rabid squirrels under my hood.:) Them squirrels have more power than you think. Especially vs the 2.8 anchor. As for an engine swap, again it depends on what you want and how you wheel. There have been alot of good recomendations posted already.
I plan on staying with the carb so I will be getting a new Weber carb for mine. If you want to go to FI than take some of the motors already mentioned.
Going FI will be a little more work than sticking with the 2.8 carbed or or going with a 2.5 with a carb.
You have already mentioned that you plan on possibly going with a V8 in the future. If so, than I would stick to the stock motor for now instead of spending double the money for two major engine swaps.

Ron, quit trying to get the guy to buy a jeep with a 4.0. Lets try and keep these old beater jeeps running what they came with. So what if they blow a little smokeout the tailpipe.:passgas:

HTH

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Ron, don't be hating the four rabid squirrels under my hood.:) Them squirrels have more power than you think. Especially vs the 2.8 anchor.
Ron, quit trying to get the guy to buy a jeep with a 4.0. Lets try and keep these old beater jeeps running what they came with. So what if they blow a little smokeout the tailpipe.:passgas:Kim.

Rabid squirrels, now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are... ;)

I found a fuel injection system off of an 86 camaro complete for 150.00$. I know everybody hates the 2.8, but if it's fuel injected, and with the right gears it should go pretty good??

86wagonman said:
I found a fuel injection system off of an 86 camaro complete for 150.00$. I know everybody hates the 2.8, but if it's fuel injected, and with the right gears it should go pretty good??

I haven't done much research on swapping over to FI, but the searching that I have done shows that it is not that hard to do if you know what your doing mechanical wise.

Kim.

Swapping the intake won't be that hard, just time consuming, it's the computer and all of the sensors that's gonna be the pain in the butt. I don't know if the ignition system is computer controlled on the fuel injection system??? If anyone knows let me know! I did some research, and could'nt find much about it. I did find some stuff on performance up-grades for the fuel injected 2.8.

Back