• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to clear 35s

ChrisFewell

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stock 87 XJ in fairly good shape runs drives has rust on the floor boards and breaks need work..but picked it up for $200 :D ive been donig research on lifts but i want to clear 16/35/15 boggers on it...

I was planning on building a custom 4 link front with 6" coils and doing a bastard pack on the rear(S10 spings mix well i hear) and that should give me 4.5-5.5 inches.. I was also planning on trimming the fenders to open them up..is this enough or do i need more lift in the rear...this is my 1st XJ(use to own a TJ) so im not too familiar with the lift needed..

Thanks Chris

Last edited:
ChrisFewell said:
o so i should be fine and not hav to worry too much about trubbing...maybe i could clear 37s
You might clear them but your axles will not hold up to anyting beyond 33's when you deal with the weight of the bogger.

oh i forgot to mention im getting Waggy 44s and putting 5.38 gears in them and spool front and rear.. i think those should hold em fine

wide 35" boggers? wife has 4.5" rustys lift with 35x12.5 tires...bumpstops top and bottom in the front and they still hit the inner fenderwells, no rear wheel wells to worry about...I have dakota leaves and 2" blocks in the back and rub the 35"x14" boggers a bit in the back...figure thats about 6" of lift...If you want it to have decent up travel and down travel I'd suggest 6"-8"

Well now ive been talked into running 38.5/11wide boggers and ill be cutting the shit out of the front and rear...with a 2.5 and auto, waggy 44s should hold fine...im going 6" in the rear with a 1.5" shackle lift and 6" coils+2"spacer front maybe....

Last edited:
XJLafonda said:
Good luck gearing that 2.5L to pull 38.5s. It's not a peppy motor in the low end, but it's a little workhorse once it's geared just right.
5.38's is the only way to go.

ChrisFewell said:
oh i forgot to mention im getting Waggy 44s and putting 5.38 gears in them and spool front and rear.. i think those should hold em fine

doin the 5.38s :D with the skinny 11" wide boggers it should work great

I've learned my lesson on clearing 35's. Buy or build the appropriate lift. Don't try to compensate by trimming. You'll need at least a good 5.5" of lift to clear them. Anything less and you'll have to bumpstop the hell out of it and/or tear up your fenders and tires. I went back to 33's with 5" of lift and trimming.

sigh...all you fjoa people.. hehe

Chris depends on what you plan to use it on. If its a richloam mud truck then you can get away with 4.5" lift, trimmed fenders and lots of bumpstoppage...BUT if you plan on doing any rock crawling then you'll need atleast 6" of lift to have any chance at decent suspension travel.

I built Space Canoe for rock crawling and 4.5" with 31s was the perfect combo for flex and grip, but I easily could of fit 33s if I added longer bump stops. On the other hand my buddy russ (hehe its the old 2dr blue beater he bought from you travis) built his truck to run mudd and clears 33 swampers with 2" of lift and trimmed fenders...has absolutely no suspension travel but grips like a damn tank...

Back