• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want a woody?

Buy one thats rusted out with 30k miles on it, do a full restoration on it and get back to us in 4 years and let us know how much it costs... Its considered a classic car now days... whats the difference between a fully restored V8 all original Jeep and a matching numbers muscle car like a Charger or 69 Mustang that sells for possibly double what some of those Jeeps cost?

Its the same as that, but with Jeep collectors

sorry, but anything made in the 80's or 90's is no where near the same catagory as a 60's charger or mustang. even 70's is pushing it. It's not classic, it's just old, and part of the worst era ever for domestic vehicles.
They might be cool jeeps, but i think i'd pay more for a 87 ford ranger than i'd pay for that, and that's not saying much.
with that said, if someone's nuts enough to pay it, then more power to them and the seller. it's all about supply and demand.

There is a place out in California that is nothing but Waggies

wow i just dont get it. what's the appeal? I guess you'd save money on condoms, but other than that...

sorry, but anything made in the 80's or 90's is no where near the same catagory as a 60's charger or mustang. even 70's is pushing it. It's not classic, it's just old, and part of the worst era ever for domestic vehicles.
They might be cool jeeps, but i think i'd pay more for a 87 ford ranger than i'd pay for that, and that's not saying much.
with that said, if someone's nuts enough to pay it, then more power to them and the seller. it's all about supply and demand.

Isnt that why any car is worth what its worth?

If you research for 30 seconds you will find out why an original would be worth so much, they only made in the low hundreds of each model/color/trim package for each year making them an instant classic... for example, only 169 Hunter Green Wagoneers were made in 91'. Now take that number in half from car accidents, kids, weather, rust, wheeling, and your in the 70-80 possibles left in the entire world... If a Jeep collector got a hard on every time he saw the color Hunter Green with wood panels what would stop him from buying it? Not $50k.

Obviously OUR cheap asses wont buy one, but the facts are out there to prove this car in any given color or trim could be worth that much.

if they came with 6 BT's and a 5spd and some air bags in the rear i'd buy one in a split second. but i didn't see them options so i guess i keep building one.

And some people think cars from the 60's are the biggest pieces of shit ever built, and that everyone who still drives one is a hippie. :looney: It is all a matter of opinion. Fact is, some people are willing to pay $30k or more for a classic SUV that will last far longer than any plastic SUV out there. They are also an icon, just like classic cars. Its not every day you pass a Grand Waggie on the street, especially a mint condition one. There is obviously a market otherwise the guy wouldn't be in business, haha.

I used to say the same thing about Cherokees, there is no way they will ever be worth anything. Just like you stated above though, it is all about supply and demand. With XJs, there is a decreasing supply and still a demand. This will only make prices go up. Dealers around here can't keep them on the lots and clean ones bring high prices. One sold in the next town over for $10,000. That was an 11 year old vehicle with 80k miles on it. :eek:

If you look at his website, it appears as though he's selling maybe a dozen a month? I'm currently not in a financial place to spend that kind of bread on a vehicle, and if I was, it'd probably be a new Grand Cherokee WK2. But a Grand Waggie would be in my top five.

We had a late 70s J10 when I was a kid. That thing literally rusted apart in the space of a few years. There's no way I'd ever spend that much on an old FSJ, but if someone else wants to drop that kind of coin to own the Land's End catalog Jeep... let 'em.

blue book value (according to the state of rhode island) on my 78 j-10 is $5600 in poor condition

i paid $600

Back