• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanna see something sexy?

Mark Hinkley said:
I hear that guy is pretty shady!:D

Nice job Sean, but how do I get you to do mine without moving there?

mark

I heard he's moving out west. He knows where all the best wheeling is. ;) :D

Jes

Hey Broke Wheeler, just cuz I wouldn't let you get fresh with me in Tellico, this is how you gotz to treat me?

I'm tryin' to figure out why B didn't cut the shock mounts off, and why the hell he's painting it right before he has to weld a half dozen brackets on the thing. I'll be giving props right back at ya soon I believe big guy.

This is the only time I'll talk business in the open forums until I'm one of those paid up sponsors.

Mark, you can either ship me the axle of bring it yourself. I can go and drag one out of a junkyard for you and bring it with me too if that suits you better. If you get me a housing and the ring gear I can have it done and bring it to Moab with me.

A sticker shock warning: It is not cheap for me to shave a housing. I don't use a Skil Saw with a grinding wheel in it to do my cutting. I use a mill, cnc od grinder, 40 ton shop press, various welders, blah, blah, blah...... to build these.

You end up with the clearance of a 44 with a rock ring built into the cover that can withstand anything I've ever thrown at it.

Moderators, if you feel the need to pull this, I have no problem with it. Just thought I'd reply and stop this guessing game :rolleyes:

Sean

Nice, but when are you going to move out west? Mike Ladd at Bent and Twisted Customs in Chico is looking for a top notch fabricator and will pay well. Chico is like Boulder, hot easy chicks, a little hotter and a lot closer to REAL wheeling (like I know anything about real wheeling from my garage :rolleyes: )

SeanP

I think you guys should get the magic nalgene to open.

Ky, that thing was done before winterfest last year. When you gonna pick it up?

I haven't done a 44 yet, so I can't comment. Been stuck in the 60's for a while. I'm building a 44 jig for my mill next though so that I can do mine and find out.

I think it should go backchannel for prices, sorry.

Sean

OneTonXJ said:
Hey Broke Wheeler, just cuz I wouldn't let you get fresh with me in Tellico, this is how you gotz to treat me?

Sean

I am still quite upset about that, just cuz your mom was in the motor home isn't a reason to turn me down. :D

Seriously, have you thought of shavin a 9". it would seem to be easier than a cast unit. I wouldn't think the 3rd member would have to be cut, just the housing. Am I dumb for thinking this? Don't answer that. I could use an inch or two more under that thing. Got my 38's on so that gives me an inch.

Just thinkin of how I can spend more money on the 'new' rig this winter.

I think a 9" shave would be cake. I know Currie does it, don't know how much they charge.

Actually, the cast will probably turn out to be the easier of the 2. A 9" housing is just stamped steel with a thin wall (relatively). A cast housing is quite thick in a number of places and typically seems to be a stronger housing design due to the multiple geometric shapes incorporated in them. Cast steel is also softer than stamped sheetmetal. As such, the cast will be able to be machined at a faster feed, and the stronger housing will vibrate less allowing me to keep the feed up to max. These are just personal observations with no scientific data to back up anything :D

What will be easier about the 9" is it's one concentric shape that will be easy to remake a bottom plate for it. The bottom plate for the 60's that I do looks like a top hat gone awry.

and while we're making sence, it takes a really big rabbit to weigh a ton

Back