• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WAGONEER FRONT DANA 44

Next time I stop by his shop I'll get some more measurements...

List up some measurements you guys would want and I'll see what I can find out.

I belive track bar mount and shock locations are all that remain.

razdrvr said:
I really wish I could get my hands on a jk to do some measuring, but they're kinda tough to come by here in Iraq. I'd love to have an axle at home waiting to be dropped into my rig. I wanna run 5.13 and am being held back by my 30.

Brother that is a GREAT idea for a coming home persent. While you're at it, just do front and rear so you have selectables AND discs in both axles.

Some might talk about having the unit bearing in the front, but I think it's a small price to pay.

John

I'm not sure I need the rear, I have a 44 with ZJ disks, but I'm really thinking about the front. I haven't had any problems with my 30 but 5.13 would be sweet.

Uh, what do you guys what measurements of ... be exact ... i have a JK sitting in the garage every night (right next to the XJ right now actually) ... the JK steering is totally different ... tell me what you want ... I'll make it happen ... with pictures ... for documentation purposes, it has a Teraflex 3" with stock arms on it.

Track bar mount location (would an aftermarket bar work?), shock mounts (would the stock upper XJ location work?), and double check me on the coil buckets cause I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I know the steering is crossover instead of inverted-Y, but is the taper different at the pitman arm? If it is, I'm wondering if you could be really cheap and swap them to use stock JK steering?

Now that the rear JK D60 is out this is looking better and better. :party:

razdrvr said:
I really wish I could get my hands on a jk to do some measuring, but they're kinda tough to come by here in Iraq. I'd love to have an axle at home waiting to be dropped into my rig. I wanna run 5.13 and am being held back by my 30.

they make 5.13 gears for a hp d30

Who is "they"? What kind of tooth engagement do "they" get with 5.13 in a 30?

Are you serious with that? A 44 and a 30 have a totally different ring gear size. 44 > 30

MoparManiac said:
Track bar mount location (would an aftermarket bar work?), shock mounts (would the stock upper XJ location work?), and double check me on the coil buckets cause I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I know the steering is crossover instead of inverted-Y, but is the taper different at the pitman arm? If it is, I'm wondering if you could be really cheap and swap them to use stock JK steering?

x10

I am very very interested in all of this information.

Sierra Drifter said:
Buy a set of JK axles from Mopar.
By the time you buy a full locker, gears, bearings, seals and installation labor, you will spend more on the Waggoneer swap. Plus the JK is stronger, highpinion, 4.10 gears, selectable locker. You can buy both JK axle for $1400 each, the width and lug patern will match. Just remove the brackets and install the TnT truss and brackets. If you really want to swap in a junk yard axle, use a Ford High pinion axle.

What year range

ok guys here goes ... this is what i know JK wise ... i will go get you measuremnent in a few minutes. The new D30 is a whole new animal. the 5.13 gearset for the D30 is a stout piece of work. as for the differences, between the xj, tj d30 and the jk, i'm am not 100%, but i can get pictures. splines are different i belive , etc, etc. 1 of the guys in the local jeep club has been having real probelms with his lunchbox d30 locker because aussie cant get the shimming right in it ... he's blown 2 of them. anyway ... i will go take some measurements for you ... be back in a few minutes. since we know the lca mounts are good, that will be my base line ... gonna have some pizza ... then under the jeep i go ...

oh ... and i just so happen to have a jks track bar for a tj and a teraflex monster bar for a jk laying her ... so i will see if the mounting is nearly the same.

Ok ... here is what i could get ... I crawled under both over and over ... oh, and the pizza was good, thanks for asking :) ...

The distance from the outer edge of the lower control arm mount to the center of the spring bucket is 1.75"ish. The JK spring do fit in an XJ BTW ... I put them in my XJ when I was lifting it the first time ... the factory JK springs give it roughly 2" of lift or so and ride hard ... anyway, I digress. The shock mounts stick about 4" off the rear of the tube and are eye mounts. They could easily be modified to fit whatever you like.

As for the trackbar. The JK trackbar sits higher on the azle than the XJ,TJ does. The upper mount is like the Rusty's and RE HD mount. The TJ axle end is 1.25" thick as is the JK one I have, so your track bar will fit in the axle mount. The JK uses a much large bolt though so you will have to weld washers to the outside to risize the hole or get different bushings.

All in all, it doesn't appear to be all that difficult. If I know then ... when I completely rebuilt my XJ D44 ARB and HP D30 and spent $4000 ... what I know now (after 10 minutes of looking under the JK), I would have ordered the axles from Mopar, upgraded the brakes and been in about the same place.

So ... what else you guys want to know ?

I am in Fort Worth, TX ... BTW ... if any of you are local and want to take a look for yourself, shoot me a pm and come on over.

To me it's starting to sound real close to an XJ...

So far the track bar bolt at the axle end and the steering are the only issues as far as I can tell.

Back