• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy D44 upgrade question about pinion angle/caster

MichaelMaxim

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of waggy D44's that I am putting in my XJ. I have the rear done and installed. The front is what I'm working on now. I have an 8" Rusty's LA lift with 36x13.50 iroks on the XJ too. My problem is that with the XJ on the jack stands and the front axle at full droop, the drive shaft is definitely binding up when I try to rotate it. I had the shaft shortened an inch and a half since the D44 was about that much longer than the D30 that was in the XJ.

If I use a jack and angle the pinion towards the shaft (higher) and level out the pinion angle, the caster is out of whack. I didn't want to have to cut the knuckles off and rotate them as it just seems like a pain in the ass plus I don't know how to measure for it. Would a multiple double CV shaft work in my situation where its difficult to correct the pinion angle due to the size of my lift on the XJ? Is this method advisible or not? What are the pros and cons of setting up the front like this?

If I had to do it over again, I would have done a HP D44 in the front but hindsight is 20/20.

aa2s-131-131_MultDC_575x125.jpg

Have you looked into the Tom Woods high-angle u-joints? The center cross is offset, allowing more rotation without binding.

Back