• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 rear

jeepnuts311 said:
i wouldnt even bother swapping in a different axle if 32s is the biggest you are going...what is the point? you will never break your dana 35 running 32 inch tires. i promise...unless you jump your jeep like i did.

I broke my dana 35 with 32's, open diff, stock gears. I was making a u-turn in gravel, a tire spun and then hooked up. I wasn't on the throttle really at all, but it took the shaft *and* spiders.

if by wheel stupidly you mean run a dana 35 ...

you are spot on!

I've been running a welded non-c-clip 35 for almost a year. No problem. When it breaks I'll replace it with something else. Reason I welded it??

1.To me a 35 is not worth spending money on for a locker.
2. I’m only running 31’s
3. I trailer my rig to and from the mountain. Would not want to drive a spool or welded axle for every day driving.
4. It's my hunting vehicle. (sold my honda 4 wheeler) and never regretted it.
5. If I find a XJ44 for a good price I'll buy it.
6. Owned a CJ-5 for 11 years and never broke an axle and had 35 inch tires.
7. I’m 57 years old and know how to drive. I’ve seen people break a dana 60.
8. I welded it myself. Only money was for welding rods and lube = less the $20.

After driving a welded axle off road. Man is it awesome? Now when or if I upgrade the axle. I don’t know whether to weld it or get a detroit. I’ve had a detroit before on the CJ-5.
If money wasn’t an object I suppose an ARB would be nice.

cal said:
if by wheel stupidly you mean run a dana 35 ...

you are spot on!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

x2 Basically don't wheel a daily driver 32+ with a D35. Stranded!

Last edited:
I agree with you. Dropping in a waggy 44 was the FIRST mod I did to my XJ. I cringe when I see one on a run in front of me, and start looking for ways to hold the axle in once it breaks!

Back