• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VW TDi Engine Swap

i was thinkin about odin a diesel swap, but finding the motor out of a diesel xj in europe, anyone know what motor?? or a 6.5td but that would take a lot of fab work...

5-90 said:
Consider the amount of money some of us have into rigs here. Do you honestly think you can make a rational argument against doing something based on price alone?:laugh3: Not gonna happen...

Frankly, I like the idea of the Cummins swap (or perhaps a Detroit?) but the vertical room in the engine bay isn't there. Be easier to run without a hood if I were going to go that route...

Think it was someone else who said it was expensive and just mentioned in small that they weren't 5k but around 2ish..

Also, pg 1 that yellow thing is a Commanche, are they not the same front end?

:peace:

WPG98XJ said:
Think it was someone else who said it was expensive and just mentioned in small that they weren't 5k but around 2ish..

Also, pg 1 that yellow thing is a Commanche, are they not the same front end?

:peace:

Could go either way. The front clip on the XJ or MJ is interchangeable, and there have been a few guys who "updated" the MJ using late XJ sheetmetal. So, I shan't guess which it is - and the emissions label is gone, so that won't work (most Jeep emissions tags will have the "letter code" on them, I've noted...)

But, the only reason that money might stop most of us from doing some mod or another is that we have to take the time to collect enough to make a difference...

harwood39 said:
i was thinkin about odin a diesel swap, but finding the motor out of a diesel xj in europe, anyone know what motor?? or a 6.5td but that would take a lot of fab work...

2.5 VM Motori Turbo Diesel

Pre-facelift ones usually crack the heads around 60-70k miles, later models last to about 100k. Probably get 25-30 mpg in an XJ.

I guess if you say pre-facelift you mean in US terms Cherokee vs Liberty?

I've also heard of the head problems on the older 2.5 TDs, but I believe they have four seperate heads - one for each cylinder?

The power output of the 2.5 CRD or even the 2.8 CRD from the new Cherokee (Liberty) is quite bit higher than the older 2.5 and they are very economical too....and if you can fit the 5 speed auto that is mated to the 2.8 CRD, you'll have a very nice and unique XJ!

Edit: English XJ, the consumption figures you've given - is that British gallons or US gallons? The British gallon is 4.55 liters and the US gallon is 3.79 liters.

Last edited:
I'm going to be doing a diesel swap, and it looks like I'll probably be using a turbo diesel out of a mid-to-late-80's mercedes. they make about 130HP, and a whole lotta torque. just about right for the XJ. Also, they fit right into the engine compartment, and if you get the aluminum block, it probably won't weigh much more.

There is an old thread either here or on Jeepforum of a guy that fitted a Merc engine into a Commanche. I didn't read the whole thread but started reading it and one of the comments of the guy that fitted the engine was that althought the consumption was good compared to a Jeep petrol engine, he was a bit disappointed with what he got - it wasn't exceptional consumption figures.

I'd say if you want to go through all this trouble, make it worth your while and install something that will either make HUGE torque or something that is EXTREMELY fuel efficient...anything in the middle, rather keep the trusted 4.0 I6 Jeep engine. But that is just my opinion...

I don't know the Duramax engines as we don't have those here in South Africa. I did a quick search and they do seem to make huge figures, but then they also seem to be huge engines. Would they fit the engine bay of an XJ?

The vw tdi motor can make major hp and tons of torque. just changing the nozzles and turning up the boost can get you over 300 lb/ft. getting it to bolt up to a trans would be the hard part. Not a bad idea but cost is up to you. Cool idea though.

Just a thought...
Coming from a GM background, in the 70's-80's GM had built converted V8's, V6's and four-bangers from gas to diesel in production vehicles. How hard would it be to convert/rebuild a tired 4.0 into a diesel? Strong cast engines with a good conversion would be a sweet combination. Direct bolt in application.

Back