• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage Regulator - Integral or External?

steveybass

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone, with absolute certainty, verify that on a 2000 XJ 4.0, the voltage regulator is NOT contained within the alternator? It's important that I know. 99% of the after-market alternators do not have a voltage regulator contained within them, but someone told me that alternators on 2000 XJs need an integral voltage regulator. HELP!!!

Can anyone, with absolute certainty, verify that on a 2000 XJ 4.0, the voltage regulator is NOT contained within the alternator? It's important that I know. 99% of the after-market alternators do not have a voltage regulator contained within them, but someone told me that alternators on 2000 XJs need an integral voltage regulator. HELP!!!

It is not, and has not been since 1991 on the XJ (with the Nippondenso alternator.) Your voltage regulator is contained within the PCM.

Take this as an article of Faith.

It is not, and has not been since 1991 on the XJ (with the Nippondenso alternator.) Your voltage regulator is contained within the PCM.

Take this as an article of Faith.

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen. :worship:

If you ever find yourself standing in a swimming pool, with water up to your chin, and 5-90 tells you that your shorts are on fire, you are going to end up with roasted nuts if you don't pull off those shorts!

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen. :worship:

If you ever find yourself standing in a swimming pool, with water up to your chin, and 5-90 tells you that your shorts are on fire, you are going to end up with roasted nuts if you don't pull off those shorts!

That's an, er, "interesting" way to put it all - but thank you!

Kind of descriptive, ain't it! :D

So sayeth the Shepard! So sayeth the flock. Now get the flock out of here!

Just to let you know, the voltage regulator IS in the alternator.

Provide a picture of your alternator, please. Your rig should have the Nippondenso unit, which relies upon an external regulator circuit (in this case, in the PCM.) If you have an internally-regulated alternator in a 2000-2001, it's likely to have been swapped in by a previous owner...

If that's the case, I'd like to see how it was done!

I just looked it up in my 2000 FSM. Refer to page 8W-20-2 in your FSM.

The alternator has three connections, and of course ground, which is the case.

Those terminals are:
Output-Voltage output.
Source-Supplied by the PCM as a reference point.
Field-Supplied by the PCM to the field winding terminal.

Field voltage is supplied to the Field coil in the Alternator from the PCM, which means weedhopper, that the Alternator does not have an internal regulator, it is external, and to be more specific, the PCM contains the regulator.

Ron

edit: Jon, it would be as simple as bolting it on, and taping off the field wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chieftain, the alternator i installed has TWO and ONLY TWO terminals as did the one I took off. AND, there were no "extra" wires hanging idly by with nowhere to go.

Like this?
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=RSE2138640_0209531339&An=599001+102000+50038+2038004

Alternator Amperage : 120 Amp
Alternator Clock Position : 3:00
Pulley Type : 6 Groove
Voltage Regulator Type : External

Or this?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NAE13822_0057982666&An=599001+102000+50038+2038004

Alternator Amperage : 117 Amp
Pulley Type : 6

Or this?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=BSAAL6540X_0241807814&An=599001+102000+50038+2038004

Alternator Amperage : 117 Amp
Pulley Type : 6

Ron

Those links didn't show anything but a NAPA search page.

They work for me. The links showed the two alternators that came with the 2000 XJ. A 120Amp, and 117 amp. Each has two connectors. One connector has two wires, a source and a field. The other is a "ring" that attaches via a stud and nut. The text I cut and pasted stated that the spec on each of the links were externally regulated.

If you can tell me where you sourced the part, and what their part number is, my bet is that the interweb can supply info.

Ron

edit: Jon, it would be as simple as bolting it on, and taping off the field wires.

Lemme rephrase that - I'd like to see how it was done, without setting a CEL/MIL.

Since the OP didn't mention having a persistent CEL/MIL, I was lead to presume he did not have such difficulty.:D

Chieftain, the alternator i installed has TWO and ONLY TWO terminals as did the one I took off. AND, there were no "extra" wires hanging idly by with nowhere to go.

The presence of a case ground seems to be spotty - and its utility is somewhat equivocal anyhow.

I know that the Delco CS130 used in RENIX has provision for a case ground, but it was never supplied from the factory. It has, however, fixed "floating voltage" issues that have cropped up (principally because the primary engine ground is back by the dipstick, and the alternator grounds through the case and mount.)

I won't say it's absolutely necessary - but it can be helpful. The primary reason that Delcos have long had a case ground provision is simple - the most common alternator in use in conversions, kit cars, and customs (and quite a bit of industrial equipment, for that matter...) happen to be Delco SI or CS series. Delco noted that shortly after the SI series came out, and the drilled/tapped hole in the boss in the back of the case was added. Very early SI units don't have it - but it's pretty rare, since most of them have been replaced anyhow. The CS series (CS121, CS130, CS144) have always had provision for the case ground.

In the event that a ground would help but there is no provision for it, simply use one of the mounting screws to attach it. Same net result.

Back