• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

very small vacuum line repair/replace

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 MJ 4.0 had a bad idle problem so I started looking for vacuum leaks. Found the very small line going from the vacuum canister to the heater had a hole in it. This line is very tiny, sort of like a capillary tube. I put some duct tape over it but I don't think thats the best fix.

One end goes into the firewall and the other goes to the vacuum ball but there is a connector between it the hole, but its a strange looking connector and I am not sure if it actually comes apart.

What would you do to fix the line? Heat shrink? larger tube over the hole and tape it? replace small tube - but how to connect it?

thanks

That line is Nylon - which gets brittle with age.

Double-wall heat shrink (if you can find it locally) should work neatly - the double-wall stuff usually has an adhesive lining that "activates" when heated to shrink. If you have to use single-wall, smear a little RTV over the outside of the line well away from the crack/hole/whatever, and make sure the HST covers both patches - that will also give you a good seal.

Also, you can cut the cracked/holed bit out, and slip some rubber vacuum line over it as a long-term patch - applying some RTV to the outside of the cut ends of the rubber line, and allow at least 1/2" overlap on each end.

I just bypassed what I've heard called a 'vacuum tree' on here last night, who knows if that tree causes leaks, they all would randomly get pulled out, so I just connected them directly to each other. I had another one I forgot to seal right and the car runs like crap with a leak, make sure you hunt them all down :)

If it's the hard plastic line you cut it in two and use windsheald washer hoses to splice it or you can replace it with the plastic line they use for after market oil presure guage instalation. The pumatic kind not the electric

I use "2 cycle fuel line", you can find it at all lawnmower shops and it is silicone and will last forever. It comes in several different ID's as well. Don't use that cheap clear line that they sell at Wal-Mart or auto parts stores, it won't last.

Take a small piece of the hard line with you to test fit it. Also a dab of super glue will help it seal it as well.

just pull out a replacement line at the junkyard. if you want to mess with it, use washer fluid rubber hose from autozone as a patch, or use a dollop of black silicon gasket/seal repair goop.

the odd looking thing at the intersection is just a plug for the unused junction. the junctions are for cruise control and interior controls.

Back