• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vermont Build - Oh Suzie II

kc1ble

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased this 1998 Cherokee last fall with the intentions of getting it built for the trails by Memorial Day. I work on the road crew and have been using the overtime from the never ending winter weather to get things together.

Here is how she looked when I got it...
111c24d8-d0f1-4b17-b3aa-629593a1bd4e.jpg

It is your typical 4.0, AW4 auto, NP242 PT transfer case D30/35

So far I have acquired a RC 6 1/2" Short arm lift kit, (which I plan on updating later on with custom long arms), control arm drop brackets, steering stabilizer, a spare front drive shaft for the rear, and 35x12.5x15 Super Swamper LTB's on flat black steel wheels.

Tomorrow I will be ordering a hack and tap SYE for the NP242 transfer case and extended brake lines.

That will get the basics out of the way. Hopefully the winter weather will start to recede so i can get started putting things together.

It sounds like a good start! I hear we have more snow coming this weekend. My jeep is still under a tarp.

and the obligatory floor pan replacement...

IMG_4347.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4348_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4357.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And after peeling the expanding foam insulation out of the rear quarters, I found this surprise...
IMG_4324.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut out the rust and folded it, looks good now...

I fabbed up some bumper mounts and a temporary bumper. Hopefully get the bumper finished up soon.
IMG_4327.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4337.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time for an update, sorry no pics yet, but I will get some today maybe. I did a little more work on the rear bumper, got the D rings welded on and the receiver hitch welded in. I like the way it is looking. I've noticed there has been a little "water" in the engine oil. After talking to the machine shop I decided to order A new head from Clearwater. That should be here this week and I can get that installed.

Its been a long winter and I haven't rolled around underneath the old girl for a while. Though I had noticed a noisy rear dif I didn't worry too much about it. Took it in for the annual safety inspection the other day and the tech let me know that the pinion bearing is junk. I sourced a new to me d35 after trying to source an 8.8" in the right gear ratio and failing. No time or money right now for gears so in with the dana 35. And of course after I got it home I noticed there was a bolt broken off in the yoke so I can fool around with that for a couple hours today and try to get it out.

I'm getting a lot of parts piled up so will probably be taking a week off of work soon to get things installed. Can't wait, gotta be ready by memorial day.

I started taking out some of the small things in the engine bay last night. Preparing for installation of a new head from Clearwater. Hopefully I can finish that job up today. I'm guessing I may have to do a bit of welding on the exhaust header when I get there, we shall see.

I also had ordered new seals for my new to me d35 rear axle to get it ready for install nest week only to learn the new seals didn't fit. Guess I need to pay more attention, it is a Chrysler 8.25 not the d35 so slight bonus there.

K, I owe some pictures of my rear bumper, it is coming along nicely. I got the bottom beveled and the hitch installed. Also it had d rings now so I have a tow point in the rear. I will be putting sides on it later, but it leaves great access to the rear leaf spring bolts when I install my lift. Still need to work on the front but I have bigger fish to fry first.

PFjH6Gk.jpg
[/IMG]

Today I got my new head in, didn't expect to finish so soon, but i'll take it. The job went very smooth and it purrs like a kitten. No pictures during, but a finished pic with the nice orange valve cover my wife painted for me.

5NTXFhh.jpg
[/IMG]

And the downside of working on a white Jeep with greasy hands...probably will require new paint to clean this up haha!

knGvYDB.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I also found 2 cracks in the exhaust manifold while I was this far in, I drilled those and welded them. Hopefully it will last as I have no more money left in the Jeep fund lol.

It was a busy weekend. my friend and I got my lift kit in, it went fairly smooth. We also got the Chrysler 8.25 swapped in.
A sneak peak of it still in the garage.
ZznkpAY.jpg

I still need to get brake lines installed and bled, hack and tap done and get an alignment done. A few minor things I should finish tomorrow. I will probably have to do a little fender trimming as well, we'll see when I get it out and about.

Now the lift is in and tires are on, just a few minor things to do...

SiYBwWM.jpg
[/IMG]
R5h1mNu.jpg
[/IMG]

I finally got to take her on her maiden voyage this afternoon. First was solo with my wife, then a friend joined us and then a couple we had just met joined as well. I guess its a Jeep thing...
zyUcylo.jpg
[/IMG]
zZThtdR.jpg
[/IMG]
FLEYloZ.jpg
[/IMG]
bsOeCjN.jpg
[/IMG]
Bm7BHo8.jpg
[/IMG]

We had a great time, I definitely need to get some lock-tite and tighten all of the bolts in my lift. I lost on sway bar link and crinkled the corners of a couple fenders, but nothing major. I will consider this the debugging before memorial day weekend.

I just finished checking all of the bolts on my lift kit. U Bolts were really loose. I got the sway bar link put back on and put some lock tite on it this time. Zip tied the front brake lines to the shocks and trimmed the corners of the front fenders. That should be all of the bugs I found on yesterdays romp. I will try it again next week and see what happens :flame:

I installed an Aussie Locker in the rear 8.25 before memorial day weekend began, man what a difference and I am glad I did, we spent 3 days on the trails and I only found 1 mudhole that was too deep.

And a couple of pics of the holiday weekend, Thank You to all the Vets, I hope your weekend was as fun as ours

A little too deep for me...no bottom

rd47E6b.jpg
[/IMG]

This one was a little too deep for my buddies XJ

5G4J8A9.jpg
[/IMG]

And this was a little too deep for my buddies wrangler, he and his passengers are still picking the mud out of there ear holes...

H5m9jKm.jpg
[/IMG]

Kx8VDPl.jpg
[/IMG]

Well yesterday certainly didn't go as planned. I was trying to make templates for new front bumper mounts so I could get started on that project and everything went south fast. I broke 2 bolts on the steering box, the spacer broke apart, both hoses are now junk and I broke the fitting off the reservoir tank. I guess I will try sourcing a new reservoir and hoses when the parts store opens today. I think I will fab a spacer while I am cutting out the bumper brackets. Gonna be a busy day and a couple days without my XJ I think...

Back