• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vented rear rotors?

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a vented rear rotor application that will fit with the rear ZJ/KJ bracket. I've heard of using front D30 rotors, and likely they used front D30 calipers as well ... But haven't been able to find any further info on it.

Just thinking is all, I know I'll lose the crappy in rotor e-brake, but I'll likely add a driveline brake later on anyway.

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone know of a vented rear rotor application that will fit with the rear ZJ/KJ bracket. I've heard of using front D30 rotors, and likely they used front D30 calipers as well ..

Unless you have huge brakes on the front to offset the new, big rear brakes, braking will not be balanced. 80-90% of the braking occur on the front end.
The standard ZJ rear discs, on my XJ, were a bad match for the stock fronts, easily locking up before the fronts. Upgrading the fronts to Vanco brakes, with the larger 48mm calipers and Black Magic pads, evened the braking out but the rears sometimes still try to lock first in slippery conditions. An adjustable proportioning valve is a future project.

The XJ has been down many extremely long, steep grades and never experienced any fading with the ZJ rear and Vanco fronts. It's a good combination for the 33" tires (even better when running the smaller 31").

Unless you have huge brakes on the front to offset the new, big rear brakes, braking will not be balanced. 80-90% of the braking occur on the front end.
The standard ZJ rear discs, on my XJ, were a bad match for the stock fronts, easily locking up before the fronts. Upgrading the fronts to Vanco brakes, with the larger 48mm calipers and Black Magic pads, evened the braking out but the rears sometimes still try to lock first in slippery conditions. An adjustable proportioning valve is a future project.

The XJ has been down many extremely long, steep grades and never experienced any fading with the ZJ rear and Vanco fronts. It's a good combination for the 33" tires (even better when running the smaller 31").

I have never experienced over breaking in the rear from my ZJ brakes and I haven’t heard of this issue with from others that have done the swap. I also swapped the ZJ proportioning valve. I think it was a great upgrade, makes holding power going down trails much better.

I have WJ front rotors and calpers so substantially larger than stock.

Quite happy with my braking, just thinking out loud here. I plan to delete the rotor e-brake evntually anyway.

FWIW I have WJ front brakes and Suzuki Sidekick 4 door front brakes (callipers and vented rotors both from the Suzuki). The balance is close enough for daily driving but the rear locks before the front at the limit (emergency braking). I have a Wilwood propoptioning valve kicking around but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I will eventually but there's other things to tune on the Jeep first.

The balance is really close for normal driving. I didn't do any math or whatever to get this close... didn't even bother opening the OEM prop valve to mess with it... just lucky I guess.

Yeah I'm using the stock Prop valve as is as well. Right now I can hammer the brakes and the fronts will lock up first everytime (even in the rain) ... Currently have ZJ/TJ/KJ rear disk brakes in place.
Planning to swap in a Dakota MC one day but not needed, just wanted to firm up the pedal a little.

I do have a ZJ prop valve should the need arise though.

just never been a fan of solid rotors is all, I know they don't see as much braking stress on the rear but I just have a quirk about it, if you will.

Don't need anything quite that over the top ... cross drilled, slotted and Vented. Was just hoping someone would confirm I could use stock front rotors and a calipers on the rear was all really. Since I just so happen to have a bunch of spare parts that were new 3 months before the WJ swap almost a year ago.

I run XJ front brakes on my D44.
2012-07-23193924.jpg

I used 89 and earlier calipers with the bolt on caliper mounts and a custom weld on bracket on the axle.

That's where I saw it, any more details picture wise? Gonna go test out a theory here in a bit (have spare calipers and spare ZJ backing plates).

Thanks for chiming in.

Back