• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vent Windows conversion WRITEUP !!!

if you have vents, like my 87 did. all you need is two screwdrivers and one must be longer, to break in. push the vent away from the latch side with one and hold it there (from under the latch) and from above push the button with the second screwdriver and lift with the first.

works like a charm

FELIX said:
I must be the only guy who likes them :dunno: One of the first things I did was pull the fixed windows & put the vents in. I never had any wind noise or dust problems. You can replace the weather stripping.

Nice write up though, Enjoy

Rob

No, you're not the only one. I happen to prefer "smoker's windows" as well - even though I don't smoke anymore (got expensive - I quit at two bucks a pack.)

Wasn't sure, all I ever hear about is people complaining and wanting to get rid of them. :rolleyes: Every truck I ever had except a CJ5 has had them. Best thing to vent out the truck & unfog the windshield. Glad to see I'm in good company :cheers:

Rob.

Tugboat369 said:
I dont like the fixed vent. Never looked into switching. Now that I know it is that eazy I am going to switch.

All you had to do was ask - I've done two.

NOTES -
There are probably rivets holding the OEM fixed window in place. Drill them out with a 1/4" bit (they're about that big!) and use 1/4-20 machine screws and Nylon collar locknuts when you install the new window.

Pay attention when you install the new window - make sure no weatherstripping gets pinched (I recall that being a problem, somehow.)

Old post, but anyone know where i can get 2 new latches for my vent windows? i had to drill them out to tint the window. They were so rusted i ended up breaking the screws that hold them together. Now i need some more. Any links or anyone have some to sell?

The only correction to make is that the earlier rigs (AMC-built RENIX at least, so to mid-1988?) had two rivets holding the lower post in place, vice the one screw. The earlier vents will likely fit - you just don't use one of the screw holes.

If you have the rivetted post, drill out with a 1/4" bit. Secure using a 1/4" bolt and nut (I like using CRES hardware, and I used a Nylon locking nut. I couldn't find staked/deformed thread lockers locally, and I didn't want to have to tighten the lower screw at intervals. Overkill? Probably. What can I say? It's me...)

Back