• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Venezuelan Stock D44 front and Rear pic

BlueGerbil said:
If they were available on stock vehichles, there has to be a part number, so one could be ordered at the stealership - has anybody got a quote?

A new rubi housing from the dealer is 2k plus. So how much do you think this one would be, assuming you could still get one. At that point, ya might as well have dynatrac build you a real dana 44.

image_products_jeeppro44faa.jpg

All over seas front 44's were HP axle housings, not rubi housing. Yes they had the weaker 30 tubes and outers, but hell you get one of those housings, throw your 30 knuckles on it, with the warn HD hub kit, 30 spline axles all around. Now your only weak spot in the ball-joints.

well this 44 are made by DANAVEN company here in Venezuela. you could get a complete D44 of this (used) in about $500. I´m going to investigate more about specs of the axle a I will post information.

tealcherokee said:
that one is HP, but its not REALLY a d44, it is a rubi axle, 44 center section, thats it, 30 tubes, 30 inner C's, 30 knuckles, and the first thing that breaks on a 30, the hub assembly

I'm just about 100% sure that if you ask the Mfg (DANA) they'll tell you that it is as real as any 44 they've ever built.

As to the late model 30 outers being weaker, I don't think so. I'm in the process of converting my 'real' 44 outers to late model 30 outers for the much needed extra strength.

Paul

JulioCesar said:
well this 44 are made by DANAVEN company here in Venezuela. you could get a complete D44 of this (used) in about $500. I´m going to investigate more about specs of the axle a I will post information.

They are made by Dana and exported, they have Danaven stamped on the axle. Dana - Venezuela, Danaven. But maybe thats just to easy............;)

Paul S said:
I'm just about 100% sure that if you ask the Mfg (DANA) they'll tell you that it is as real as any 44 they've ever built.

As to the late model 30 outers being weaker, I don't think so. I'm in the process of converting my 'real' 44 outers to late model 30 outers for the much needed extra strength.

Paul

Are you drunk? Or is this a joke?

Last edited:
Paul S said:
......it is as real as any 44 they've ever built.

A Rubicon/XJ front 44 is a hybrid Dana 30/44 axle. So by your logic, that Dana 44 is also as real as any Dana 30 they have ever built.

Paul S said:

Though I won't argue to the strength of the d30 knuckle. I'd like to know how it would be considered an upgrade over a d44 setup....

91 Jeep Project said:
A Rubicon/XJ front 44 is a hybrid Dana 30/44 axle. So by your logic, that Dana 44 is also as real as any Dana 30 they have ever built.

Though I won't argue to the strength of the d30 knuckle. I'd like to know how it would be considered an upgrade over a d44 setup....

I believe that when Dana lables an axle they base it on the R&P, if you ask Dana what the Rubi 44 is they'll tell you it's a 44, not a hybird, not a 30.
CJ 30's had 44 outers, but were still 30's on account of the R&P.

My 44 has Warn 19 spline stubs, Ford wheel hubs & drive flanges or Warn premium hubs (depending on what I'm running).
By upgrading to 30 junk I get 30 spline stubs, Warn wheel hubs & Warn slugs.
The 30 spline stubs are marginally stronger, but the Warn wheel hubs are way stronger (& shorter) than the Ford junk.
If it weren't for the $800 + price tag, I think you'd see a lot of guys building 44's with 30 outers.

Paul

Paul S said:
.....I think you'd see a lot of guys building 44's with 30 outers.

Paul

Though I find that at a bit of a stretch; For my purposes, if I got a Export Hp housing on the cheap, I'd have no problem swapping my Tera Steering over, buying the hub kit, and running it 'til it fell apart. It's all in what you need your rig to do................:thumbup:

Since we are off topic anyway. The question could be. Is a D44 a worthless step ? If 35's work on a D30, and 37 break 44 stuff. 37's seem to be the 32's of old. Not really the big tires you want to end up with anyway

91 Jeep Project said:
A new rubi housing from the dealer is 2k plus. So how much do you think this one would be, assuming you could still get one. At that point, ya might as well have dynatrac build you a real dana 44.
image_products_jeeppro44faa.jpg

What in the hell is a real 44? So, if they are not real 44's, how would you explain the fact that Dana Venezuela has been building a HP 44 since the XJ's inception in South America, that uses the same knuckle, inner C, ball joints, tubes, brackets, and mounts?

It was first before the Dana 44/30 hybrid that was built for the American XJ where the only difference is U-joint and center section size.

The coil link 30 actually started life as a 44. Think about it. Ever seen a Warn alloy replacement? It's a Dana 44 that necks down to fit the 30 side gear. Why would that be?

-Mike

David Taylor said:
Since we are off topic anyway. The question could be. Is a D44 a worthless step ? If 35's work on a D30, and 37 break 44 stuff. 37's seem to be the 32's of old. Not really the big tires you want to end up with anyway

Why not do like Paul and use a "fake" 44 with 30 outer stuff? :confused1

-Mike

Mike L said:
Why not do like Paul and use a "fake" 44 with 30 outer stuff? :confused1

-Mike

I'm not using a 'fake' 44, I'm using a fake HP9:)

Anyway, a 'fake' 44 would be stronger than a 'real' 44, but it doesn't offer the 'real' 44 flat top knuckle option, unless you're talking CJ 30 outers, which are actually 44 outers, which can use 44 flat top knuckles & be built stronger than a 'real' 44 :confused1 :dunno: :laugh:

Paul

I have a "REAL 44" (78 HP RC 8-lug, hi-steer) waiting for a project and I would love unit bearings on it.

Have you ever gotten 100,000 miles from manual hubs and wheel bearings with no maintence?

How many broken hubs have you seen versus unit bearings?

How much faster (and cleaner) is it replace a broken axle shaft with unit bearings than with hubs?

You do know that D30's and D44's use the same size ball joints, and same size u-joints right?

The only real advantage to a 44 is a bigger (maybe stronger) R&P, hi-steer, and better brakes.

xjcrawlr said:
I have a "REAL 44" (78 HP RC 8-lug, hi-steer) waiting for a project and I would love unit bearings on it.

Have you ever gotten 100,000 miles from manual hubs and wheel bearings with no maintence?
Nope but I never got more than 30,000kms on a unit bearings with 31s tires.
xjcrawlr said:
How many broken hubs have you seen versus unit bearings?

None so far, have always blown a u-joint first vs probably a dozen failed unit bearings. Could always run a hub blank if its an issue.
xjcrawlr said:
How much faster (and cleaner) is it replace a broken axle shaft with unit bearings than with hubs?

You got me there, but you better hope that hub nut has been off recently, first time I did mine I broke a 1/2 Snap on breaker bar trying to get it loose.
xjcrawlr said:
You do know that D30's and D44's use the same size ball joints, and same size u-joints right?
The D44 uses bigger ball joints.
xjcrawlr said:
The only real advantage to a 44 is a bigger (maybe stronger) R&P, hi-steer, and better brakes.

I still prefer servicing my D44 hubs at home, getting more life out of them and only paying $60 bucks for a set of bearings vs changing a $150 unit bearings on the trail. I much prefer being able to pull the bearings and clean them and check them for wear. I've never had a D44 bearing fail on me while on the trail(or anywhere). I would check my D30 unit bearings anytime a tire was in the air but never could feel any play in it. Twice on the way home from a trail I could hear it howling when cornering at hi speeds. Pulled it when I got home and it felt ok when on the truck but once off you could feel it was rough. Had one fail on the trail and another on the way home and another on the way to work. That's just my rig. Many of our club members have converted their D30 to servicable hubs with the Warn kit.

If you really don't like servicable hubs you should sell that D44 to someone who will apreciate it and polish up your D30 turd or buy a rubi D44 axle with unit bearings. ;)

That thread is very interesting. The fact is that I was thinking for several weeks about that strange D30 that my Xj has.
On the last trail I broke the drivers side shaft, and when I came to repair the damage armored with a "new" shaft, spare of my 2.5 YJ I was very surprised. They where different! :shocked:
The axles seemed to me identical, but the shafts of the XJ are beefier, and the outer yoke is removable (spicer 0253 says)
I buyed the XJ from a venezolan dude that moved to Spain with his car.
I post pictures of it, so you can tell me what shafts are these, and where I can buy some like this. Are they D44 ones??? :)
DSC02190.JPG

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02192.JPG

DSC02193.JPG

DSC02195.JPG

Saludos,
Sergio Rius Rodriguez
Http://saposysalamandras.dyndns.org

Hi guys i am from Venezuela y have a 91 XJ and the XJ´s here in Venezuela came all of them with real Dana 44 in the front and rear , as says my friend Julio Cesar they cost like 500$ but i dont know how much the shiping fron Venezuela to United States. this is my XJ some pictures of my XJ

797245_25_full.jpg

797245_17_full.jpg

797245_24_full.jpg

797245_29_full.jpg

797245_28_full.jpg

Back