• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanishing breed!

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
Just completed my usual 2000+ mile round trip from VT to Georgia and back, and my wife and I made an informal Cherokee count. We counted about 21 Cherokees for the whole trip. Even assuming we missed at least half of them, that's only about one XJ per 50 miles. The ranks are thinning. Of those spotted, probably only about a half dozen were pre-97. We also saw one MJ, a spiffy white one in SC, obviously someone's pet.

I see a lot around here - I usually see at least 5-6 per day just commuting (32 miles roundtrip.) A lot are heading toward the dinged-up, rusted out hoopty end of the scale though, and I see more in poor neighborhoods and on the college campus I drive by every day than I do elsewhere.

I see a lot around here - I usually see at least 5-6 per day just commuting (32 miles roundtrip.) A lot are heading toward the dinged-up, rusted out hoopty end of the scale though, and I see more in poor neighborhoods and on the college campus I drive by every day than I do elsewhere.

Hell, I see that many just driving from my apt to walmart 2 miles away!

There are 20-30 houses on my road and there are at least 20 XJ's, 5 of which are mine:D

There are still plenty in Roanoke but the C4C program claimed the lives of quite a few.

theres a reaaal hot blonde girl driving a black 99 limited at my school, i have yet to run into her though, i always see her driving away when i walk into class. try to park next to her as much as possible hoping to bump into this girl, maybe i can show her a thing or two about xj's, including the fold down seating ;)

There are about 8 in a 2 block radius from me right now. That I know of! Seems to be a popular college car.

There are about 8 in a 2 block radius from me right now. That I know of! Seems to be a popular college car.

Same for our local high school, out of 600 students for which only half are old enough to drive, there are about 30 XJ's in the parking lot. You can tell where they park, just look for the oil spots:doh:

Kids love these things but most of them around here do not know how to repair the little things that need fixing for an older car.

Same for our local high school, out of 600 students for which only half are old enough to drive, there are about 30 XJ's in the parking lot. You can tell where they park, just look for the oil spots:doh:

Kids love these things but most of them around here do not know how to repair the little things that need fixing for an older car.

They are great cars, cheap(ish), reliable, Good looking :)cheers:)

But sadly you are right, there was a long bed MJ at my highschool. It could have been beautiful but it was covered in rust and just shot to hell.:tears::tears::tears:

I guess I tried to keep my XJ looking nice in HS, cleaned up some rust spots (With an actual spray gun :thumbup:) Changed the radiator out, new brakes, new exhaust...

I was 1 of 2 xjs at my high school. both lifted! at my college theres quite a few beaters and 2 other lifted ones, never seen the kids though. i see quite a few driving around here though

I went to Walmart today. I counted 15 XJ's, 6 of which were lifted. I remember when there were only 2 lifted rigs in Northern Colorado.

I always see more locally, but I was surprised how few we saw on the interstates and major highways.

You don't see XJs on the interstates and major highways because they are on the TRAILS! :confused1

And because they can't get up to highway speeds without something vibrating, wobbling, or falling off.
speak for yourself, buddy! I just went about 2300 miles down the interstates on mine without anything... oh, crap, you said something about vibrating, didn't you? Never mind. :doh:

However, I must report that nothing actually fell all the way off.

I was 1 of 2 xjs at my high school. both lifted! at my college theres quite a few beaters and 2 other lifted ones, never seen the kids though. i see quite a few driving around here though

Good lord, there is one driving around my campus. Mild lift, maybe 3-4 inches. No other mods are visible besides that.

But to top it off it has THEE most disgusting exo cage I have ever seen in my life. :puke:

It is hideous!!! most of it looks OK at best, the worst part is that he connected where the roof rack ends at the top of the windsheild to the front bumper with straight tubing! Ugh, it doesnt go with the body lines at all. :doh:

speak for yourself, buddy! I just went about 2300 miles down the interstates on mine without anything... oh, crap, you said something about vibrating, didn't you? Never mind. :doh:

However, I must report that nothing actually fell all the way off.

Doh! :scared:

I just bought mine... I was comparing alot to the Kelly Blue Book value, and I saw a lot of them selling way higher than KBB was saying they should be going for! Im in North Western PA, and I see plenty up here.

I think this may have alot to do with that cash for clunker program this summer... I believe the XJ was one of the highest cars traded in for junk, below the 98 ford explorer (which was the number one most junked, and happily, I contributed to that count!!). I also think this caused the price to go up, along with winter just around the corner up here.

Maybe you don't see as many on the interstate is because most families have 2 or more cars, and people will tend to take the most comfortable or the one that gets the best mpg's. I won't take the XJ on family trips because of the above reasons & the fact it only seats 2. JIM.

Back