• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanco Brakes: Possible WJ/ZJ style swap.

You're close on the price, but all the prices are shipped prices. You are only a few bucks low depending on which unitbearing you have. There are two common ones which determine which rotor you have.

In all the years I've been building, designing, manufacturing, and then testing brakes, the search for and testing of brake pad compounds is something that I'm not particularly fond of, but regard as a necessary evil. Like you, when I first started, I didn't know much different and figured pads are pads. After doing long term testing on at least 20 different brands and compounds within brands I discovered nothing could be further from the truth.

I've tested Morse, Hawk, Axxess, PFC, Centric, EBC, offerings from Raybestos, Wagner, and NAPA and now Black Magic Brakes.

When I found the BMB pads and tested them myself, I found them to be far better than the EBC yellowstuff which was my all time highest performing pad. I was blown away with how good they were and being the cynic that I tend to be when it comes to brakes, I bought 5 sets and had others test them for me with a few stipulations.

The test had to be public as in no communication with me before posting the results. I did not want anyone to think I had vetted the results before they were posted.

The rigs had to be running larger tires and be current users of Centric Premium rotors and EBC yellow pads. It's easy to look good if someone is running crap brakes, it's harder if they are already running the best we can find.

This thread was the result, please ignore some of my coy drivel at the beginning as we were pretty unsure how stuff would be taken, so we kept a lot of information to ourselves at first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/vanco-brake-pad-evaluation-1104156/index36.html

All that said, I'm now in a bit of a quandary. I don't think we are approved vendors over here and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes. We pay our vendor fees on a lot of boards and we certainly don't appreciate when someone tries to sneak in the back door without paying.

I was asked to pop in and clear up some things which I'm trying to do.

I guess the best way to handle it is by not responding to anyone contacting me on this board about brakes.

As for you believing one way or another, if you wish to test some parts and provide an unbiased opinion, we can arrange that. If they aren't the best stock replacement pads and rotors you've ever used, then you don't have to pay for them. If they are, you send me the full price. I only ask that you follow my instructions to the letter.

If you want to do that, you are the only one I will respond to about brakes on here and you can post any correspondence between you and I publicly whether it's a PM, email, or phone conversation.

Last caveat concerning this. If this post bothers anyone and it needs to go away, please let me know and it's gone.

Blaine,

As I e-mailed you and asked you to chime in on this thread, I will stand behind "it being okay" no matter where it goes. You (and Van) have always been very respectful of Naxja and its policies, and the information you provide helps to keep our members safe on the road. If it leads to a couple of sales.. no harm no foul.

You need to leave the rear brakes alone and fix the front. That will give you the biggest improvement in stopping ability. Don't get me wrong, I've been doing rear disc brake swaps on Jeeps since 99, but the front is where you need to spend your time and money. Rear discs are good for maintenance, cost, and ease of working on, but they are not where to start if what you have now is not just totally shot.

Hey buddy,
Where do I find and look at Vanco brakes online and where exactly do I order when the time comes? What rotors/pads are used and can you just use the knuckle/calipers and get your own rotors/pads? Just curious. Thanks for your reply and help as this is a great deal of input to this thread.

Erik

Hey buddy,
Where do I find and look at Vanco brakes online and where exactly do I order when the time comes? What rotors/pads are used and can you just use the knuckle/calipers and get your own rotors/pads? Just curious. Thanks for your reply and help as this is a great deal of input to this thread.

Erik

http://www.vancopbs.com/

click 'jeep disc kit' on the top left.

I don't think he sells the knuckles seperate; if you use lesser parts you will get lesser performance, and his name is still going to get stuck on it. - that said, i don't work for him, i just happened to have the awnser to your first question and a feel for how he'll probably awnser the second. :)

Hey buddy,

Erik

Cal showed you the where. Rotors and pads are all Centric Premium Rotors and Black Magic Brake pads if I can help it. The instructions will give you a parts list and an application by year should you need emergency parts somewhere.

No, you can't get just the knuckle at this time nor for the foreseeable future. Two reasons control that, one is the knuckles in good useable condition are hard to acquire and round up for a run to the machine shop and the most important is similar to what Cal said.

Jeepers are notorious for trying to do things as cheap as possible with no thoughts to the outcome. So, they hop on down to the parts store and buy 20 dollar rotors, 15 dollar calipers and the least expensive set of brake pads they can get. Then when they're out on the trail and someone asks about why their brakes suck, at some point the name Vanco will be in the conversation and that's not a good connection to be made.

Trust me, if I could find a way to make 20 dollar rotors work and perform, I sure wouldn't be using 50 and 60 dollar rotors. I well know that the cheaper Van could sell the kits the more of them that would be sold.

There is a kit sold that you can reuse your knuckles that is or was sold by Gojeep. Good kit, not a lot of US support for parts, but an option if it's still around. Gojeep did a lot of work trying to make it a good thing for folks who wanted a cheaper solution and the parts he used were good parts the last time I saw them a few years back.

Cal showed you the where. Rotors and pads are all Centric Premium Rotors and Black Magic Brake pads if I can help it. The instructions will give you a parts list and an application by year should you need emergency parts somewhere.

No, you can't get just the knuckle at this time nor for the foreseeable future. Two reasons control that, one is the knuckles in good useable condition are hard to acquire and round up for a run to the machine shop and the most important is similar to what Cal said.

Jeepers are notorious for trying to do things as cheap as possible with no thoughts to the outcome. So, they hop on down to the parts store and buy 20 dollar rotors, 15 dollar calipers and the least expensive set of brake pads they can get. Then when they're out on the trail and someone asks about why their brakes suck, at some point the name Vanco will be in the conversation and that's not a good connection to be made.

Trust me, if I could find a way to make 20 dollar rotors work and perform, I sure wouldn't be using 50 and 60 dollar rotors. I well know that the cheaper Van could sell the kits the more of them that would be sold.

There is a kit sold that you can reuse your knuckles that is or was sold by Gojeep. Good kit, not a lot of US support for parts, but an option if it's still around. Gojeep did a lot of work trying to make it a good thing for folks who wanted a cheaper solution and the parts he used were good parts the last time I saw them a few years back.

Hey there,

I'm not trying to cheap out on the cost but rather get quality parts for the best price. So if you are saying these are the best rotor, pad, caliper, knuckle combination then I'm down. I just need to save up $750 for this and still do the rears. The low maintenance factor is huge for me when removing the drums.

If i'm going to build this Jeep right, I'm going to make sure that I start from ground up. I see a lot of guys with stock parts on 4-6 inch lifts. I think a lift kit, bigger tires, and new diff are my last option. Daily driving, towing, and the occasional easy trail is fine for me. Braking is something I do everyday, no matter what I do with my XJ, it is essential in every style of driving I do.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone and I hope that, at some point this year, I will be doing this Vanco brake upgrade

Erik

P.S. Random question, does anyone know how to stay logged in?!?! Every time i turn to a different post I have to sign in. Honestly its getting kind of annoying.

Is it known whether the Vanco kit will fit under stock "Ravine" wheels?

Back