• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valving Question

I prefer the 275/78 over the 255/70 for daily driving, rock crawling, and go fast stuff. I was told by "experts" that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference but those valvings feel quite different to me.

Edit: I am running a three link with very flat link angles though so that may have something to do with the sensitivity.

So I went out and checked today just for the shit of it and sure enough, mine aren't 40/60 like they were supposed to be. They were actually 30/90. I called Fox and they were very helpful and are going to re-valve them for free for me. So, my question is, should I go to the general 40/60 or can some body give me a better idea of where I should be around...

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok just to keep the info I got up to date, or whatever... I talked to the race guy at Fox about my setup and my use. Told him I DD, Crawl, and go fast, hit whoops and jump, more like baby hops but I try. He said the best for me, based on minimal up travel, 4.5", I should be good with 70/50. I can't wait to get my shocks back from Fox now.

Ive got mine at Fox being valved 38/80 for the front and 20/80 in the rears, I'll leave feedback on how I like mine as well

Ive got mine at Fox being valved 38/80 for the front and 20/80 in the rears, I'll leave feedback on how I like mine as well

Wow for high speed stuff that seems backwords. I would think you would want stiffer compression and lighter rebound. You will have light compression and stiff rebound with those numbers. I would think you would want it more like live24wheel's set up.

I talked to a guy named Bill at Fox and thats what he recommended. He said with added compression and softened rebound it would almost to the point of unsafe on the street. I told him I drive alot on the street and I want valved halfway between street and Jeepspeed and those are the numbers he gave me since Im not running swaybars. I guess Ill be trying this setup as a starting point and adjust from there. I was going with 60/40 up front but then I decided to call in and see what they suggested first.

Last edited:
Thats weird because they told me almost the opposite. Is Bill the guy in the race department? I don't remember the name of the guy I talked to but I do know the 2 different guys in sales gave me completely different numbers and were just basing it of there DD Cherokees..... Not hitting whoops or anything.

Im gonna get on that then, maybe Bill just dont know WTF hes talkin about

lmao... I picked that up realllly quick from the salesman I talked too....

FYI to everyone else, I have run the 70/50 front for 2 days now and am very happy with it. It works really well so far. What Are you guys running pressure wise in your front bumps? I had them put at 100psi per the race dude at fox but think that might be a bit light. I jumped it a little and hit a couple good bumps and its using all but about a 1/2 inch of the bump travel... I haven't hit whoops or really jumped it yet, What do you all think? BTW, FOX 2.0 inside the coil.

OK I just talked to Bill in Sales to find out who it was in the racing department that I talked too.... It was Todd, he made the valving recommendation and so far im happy with it, Friday night I will put it through its paces on the whoops and washes and see how it does.

Ok, just wanted to give everyone an update since my trip out last night. I pushed the Jeep pretty hard using about every bit of power I had. The shocks and air bump combo worked absolutely amazing from what it used to be. It took the whoops and little jumps like a champ. The 70/50 valving worked perfect. In fact, the cv in my rear drive shaft is trashed, and now my power steering is acting up. At a dead idle the power steering is a no go, but if I give it like 100-200 rpm, it is perfect. Anyone ever heard of or seen that before?

Ok, just wanted to give everyone an update since my trip out last night. I pushed the Jeep pretty hard using about every bit of power I had. The shocks and air bump combo worked absolutely amazing from what it used to be. It took the whoops and little jumps like a champ. The 70/50 valving worked perfect. In fact, the cv in my rear drive shaft is trashed, and now my power steering is acting up. At a dead idle the power steering is a no go, but if I give it like 100-200 rpm, it is perfect. Anyone ever heard of or seen that before?

Your pressure relief valve in the PS pump may be sticking. Try pulling it out, see if there are any burrs on anything, clean it up and put it back in. It's where the pressure hose threads into the pump. Tale the hose off, then use a 1" socket(I think) and unscrew the whole valve. There is a spring an a ball in there. If it's stuck, the ball will be low in the hole. If it is, you'll need to stick a screw driver or something in the hole an give it a tap. Be ready, because when it releases, it will go flying. While you have it apart, look up West Texas Offroad's redneck Ram website. They have a really simple mod to increase the pressure and flow of the pump. If you do that, don't go crazy with the shims, more is not better. I over did mine once and blew the end cap out of my steering box.

Hope that helps...

-Dan

Are you running a sway bar?

Back