• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v8 xj

jagermiester

NAXJA Forum User
So this week starts the process. My xj has been through abit since I got her and now the next stage.

Original Purchase $600.00
1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
4.0, AW4, 242
Dark Maroon
Leather
Leaks oil
Dana 30 front Dana 35 rear 3.55 gears

Stage one
1.5" budget boost
31x10.5 les schwab mt's
No carpet rhino lined floors
Fog lights on windshield cowl
no front bumper
OOOh fun
Broke rear pinion

Stage 2
5x5.5 Dana 60 SF Rear
5x4.5 to 5x5.5 spacers for front
Top cut off over cargo area
Fenders cut as far as possible (all the way to door in rear with new sheetmetal riveted in place)
31x12.5 Boggers on 15x10 soft 8's
Custom K&N filter (from 04 chevy way big)
Watermelon Pink paint job
Broke 242

Stage 3
In process starting this weekend
383 stroker (from my 79 1 ton gmc 1500)
balanced and blueprinted w/TPI
t400
32 spline 241
HP Dana 44
7" total lift
Not sure of tire or gear. I want around 37"s and 5.38's

Let me know what you think

1238889892_l.jpg

1238900766_l.jpg

1284317547_l.jpg

1238893345_l.jpg

the girlfriend repainting the grill

Last edited:
sounds good but,

i vote

more pics of the gf

Sniggs said:
it's PINK??? :wow:

jagermiester said:
the girlfriend repainting the grill

Maybe she painted the whole thing? :dunno:

:D

About your rig, It looks good. Id go for some 5.38 gears, if you are going to run 37's. Remember, if your running alot of torque, which a 383 would produce, add a cage and some frame stiffeners to stiffen up the unibody.

I like the way the back is cut up too. Looks good.

jagermiester said:
Not sure of tire or gear. I want around 37"s and 5.38's

Sounds like you have a d30 front and a d60 SF rear, have you found gears deeper then 4.88 for the RCd30? I think its 4.88 or a front axle swap..

Im not a big fan of the np241, you could easily find a 203 that fits behind your th400. Mines a 79 chevy 350 with a th400 mated to a chevy 203, then run a ford 205 behind it. Give you 4:1 and all gear driven.

Whats the NP241 out of? My 97 suburan has I think a 241 DS drop..

Radiator and steering box clearance issues will be a Pain, Exhaust manafold clearance will be a pain.

I think you sould swap to better axles first, beef up the unibody then do the V8. After my v8 swap two trips I bent my front leafs... now Im down again linking the front.. almost 2years :bawl:

ashmanjeepxj said:
Sounds like you have a d30 front and a d60 SF rear, have you found gears deeper then 4.88 for the RCd30? I think its 4.88 or a front axle swap..

Sounds like he has a 44 going in to me...

Stage 3
In process starting this weekend
383 stroker (from my 79 1 ton gmc 1500)
balanced and blueprinted w/TPI
t400
32 spline 241
HP Dana 44

Thanks all for your opinions coming I appreciate them all.

Ashman I have a 44 going in the front but thanks for the concern. I also will either be doing stiffners or boxing the whole unibody with 2x4 rectangle (if I can find the right up) I have been following your buildup on pirate for over a year by the way sweet xj.

I have a 203 and decided against it based on weight and final drive ratio. The 241 is out of a 94 c3500 and is attached to a new t400. I had a 241 (27 spline to 700r4 and then 32 spline to t400 in my 90 jimmy on 40"s with no problems and I loved it. Easily clockable really light and nice 2.72 to 1.

The whole pink think started out as a drunken dare and now it will be staying. Also it will be getting a full cage as well as bumpers as money permits. Please keep the comments and opinions coming.

Last edited:
383 Stroker...... Semi Float 60, 44 front....... 37's....... Pop!

popcorn.gif

you could be right and if so I will find a matching hp 60 to go with my ff60 but I am going with this setup for now. I will just have to use more finesse (spelling?) when driving

if you run a 203 and then a 205, does that make the driveshaft awfully short? I was wondering as not everybody can afford a new Atlas. It must work out okay as yours' looks pretty sano!

ashmanjeepxj said:

Im not a big fan of the np241, you could easily find a 203 that fits behind your th400. Mines a 79 chevy 350 with a th400 mated to a chevy 203, then run a ford 205 behind it. Give you 4:1 and all gear driven.

Whats the NP241 out of? My 97 suburan has I think a 241 DS drop..

Radiator and steering box clearance issues will be a Pain, Exhaust manafold clearance will be a pain.

I think you sould swap to better axles first, beef up the unibody then do the V8. After my v8 swap two trips I bent my front leafs... now Im down again linking the front.. almost 2years :bawl:

Danno said:
if you run a 203 and then a 205, does that make the driveshaft awfully short? I was wondering as not everybody can afford a new Atlas. It must work out okay as yours' looks pretty sano!

It makes the drive shaft shorter.. I have it all tucked up high like 3-4in higher then my 231 was, so not below the frame (worse drive shaft angel). I get 12in of down travel and 16in of rear flex with standard 1330 double card U-joints, not streched wheel base (not much), so it not that bad. I have the long th400 behind a v8, its long. a th350 or a built up power glide would be nice ways to use the doubler and keep it shorter. 203 for almost free 205 for $50-100 and the adaptor for $450 it not bad. And very strong, heay and long.

jagermiester Its 4x4 tubing for the framesleving 120-250 wall will work, Mines only 120wall I found a whole bunch for really cheap if buying a new stick I would have done 3/16in. some of my buddies did 250wall. I did enough cage, slider work and plating to get away with the thin stuff and have had no cracks yet.

ArcticXJ said:
383 Stroker...... Semi Float 60, 44 front....... 37's....... Pop!

popcorn.gif

We have guys on toyota axles (alloys) wheelin hard on 42s..a stock d60 with neckdown shafts isnt much stronger then a non neck down d44 shaft.. at least get some new U-joints.

Both axles have been completely rebuilt and the 44 will eventually get chromoly if necessary. It is the short 400 so its not that long.

With the 4x4 tubing do you just got off one side and then slide it over the unibody?

jagermiester said:
Both axles have been completely rebuilt and the 44 will eventually get chromoly if necessary. It is the short 400 so its not that long.

With the 4x4 tubing do you just got off one side and then slide it over the unibody?

Some parts of the unibldy it will need to be an L shape some spots it can be a C-shape the frame is not flat it has ups and downs will not be one piece. the rear section after the leaf mount is narrower, if you sleve that you will need some smaller box tubing. I never did that I only ran rear leafs for a short time and had no frame issues.

My Girlfriend want to paint the XJ I got her HOT PINK lol I said No Fu**in way

Back